Sign in to follow this  
jeremy21ryan

2008 VTX trouble turning radio on....

jeremy21ryan

I just bought a 2008 VTX and when the boat is in the garage I cannot figure out how to turn the radio on. I read in the manual that I should be able to turn the key to the left and still be able listen to the stereo without starting the boat. The LCD display turns on and I am able to scroll through the menus. I can control all the navigation lights and pretty much everything except the radio and the amps. If I put the boat in the water and start it then the radio will come on. Is there something that I might be doing wrong or has anyone else seen this issue.

Earmark Marine

I'm just guessing here. It appears from your description that you have full functionality under the normal conditions but you just don't have audio until starting the boat. So I wonder if the amplifiers are getting their remote turn on trigger from the ignition rather than from the radio remote lead.

Use a multimeter to verify when the amplifier(s) get and do not get a remote turn-on voltage. Or, lift the amplifier remote turn on lead and jumper it to a known 12 volt supply.

David

Earmark Marine

Also, have you measured voltage yet with the boat off? It's possible that the turn on voltage for the amplifiers is higher than the threshold required for the other electronics. Pretty thin but possible.

David