Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SeaDek Sizing? for '07 Wakesetter 23'

gmab

I'd like to replace my platform mat this winter with a SeaDek. I have the original single hard black mat that is full of cracks.

My question relates to sizing. I called SeaDek on Friday and they weren't very helpful.

I checked their "standard" sizes on the website (MSP1, MSP2, MSP4, MSP5) and none of them seem to be a good fit for the fiberglass platform. Has anyone replaced their pad on a 2007 Wakesetter 23' and if so what p/n did you use?

....or is everyone doing the custom size template kit?

Note: I have a floating wedge so I will need the hatch cutout.

Also, I was going to do the standard Malibu logo. When ordering what font do you specify? The closest SeaDek example online seemed to be the Speedy 12.

I'm planning on doing Storm Gray over Black.

Thanks Crew

Ya I just had to do the same thing.lol . I also made a call and the lady was no help at all on size. More or less the way I see it is the layout sizes they have on the web are the size of the pad itself not the platform. So what I did was just measure the platform and went with the closest pad to that size. I also have the cut out. My boat is a 06 vlx so not sure if you would have the same deck. I went with MSP2 with cutout. So for me that pad is going to be 3/4" or so smaller then my deck. I dont think you want the pad going all the way to the edge anyway so the sizes they have posted are going to be smaller then the deck.. Hope she fits anyway..lol I also went storm gray over black with the malibu logo. I think you just pick u want the logo and thats it. No font. When I made my order I just said i want the malibu logo and that was it..

Edited by whiskyshooter

I have a 2007 wakesetter 247...

I just bought a pad from seadek and I used msp1. I have a power wedge so I didn't need the cut out.

I did storm gray over black with the logo and I did not have to specify a font.

I don't know if there is a difference in the 23 vs the 247 but I hope this helps.

Jeff

Ya I just had to do the same thing.lol . I also made a call and the lady was no help at all on size. More or less the way I see it is the layout sizes they have on the web are the size of the pad itself not the platform. So what I did was just measure the platform and went with the closest pad to that size. I also have the cut out. My boat is a 06 vlx so not sure if you would have the same deck. I went with MSP2 with cutout. So for me that pad is going to be 3/4" or so smaller then my deck. I dont think you want the pad going all the way to the edge anyway so the sizes they have posted are going to be smaller then the deck.. Hope she fits anyway..lol I also went storm gray over black with the malibu logo. I think you just pick u want the logo and thats it. No font. When I made my order I just said i want the malibu logo and that was it..

I figured the sizes online were the pad itself. I measured my deck several times yesterday and it appears the MSP2 pad width (transom to outer edge) is too much at 26 15/16".

Surprising as I would have thought the decks were the same between '06 and '07.

I have a 2007 wakesetter 247...

I just bought a pad from seadek and I used msp1. I have a power wedge so I didn't need the cut out.

I did storm gray over black with the logo and I did not have to specify a font.

I don't know if there is a difference in the 23 vs the 247 but I hope this helps.

Jeff

My understanding is their is a difference between the 23 and 247. MSP1 is much too big.

My next step is to see if SeaDek can send me an outline of the MSP2 to try out. If not, then I suppose I'll go the template route to be safe. Seems more trouble than it ought to be.

Well, at least you can get started at removing the cracking factory black pad. Use a heat gun to get it off and then acetone or mineral spirits to get the glue off.

• 4 months later...

Just joined so go easy on me out here, I read about your non skid issue with calling SeaDek, there is a company called www.AquaTraction.com.

The company was created from 3 former customers of Seadek where they got so tired of the poor customer service and very slow turn around time they decided to open up their on business. That's pretty bad when you drive a customer to the point of opening their own business.

Anyway, I bought a 2012 Axis from a guy here in Ocala, FL, Billy the owner uses these guys on a regular basis, this new company claims to beat Seadek prices, customer service and turn around time. They sell a 2 different types of non skid material, one is like Hydro Turf and the other is a 6 mil with a cool ping pond pattern, the surface of the material is semi hard but yet the pad is soft like a cushion.

They also can cut any size pattern you need, once you get the order to them, you will have the material in your hands in less than 3 days.

Try that with seaDek, it will take you 3 days just to talk to the idiots on the phone to get them to understand what your talking about.

Anyway, cool forum, you guys have some great ideas and I look forward in spending some time out here.

Oh, I hate the snap out carpet, I just ordered carpet replacement from these guys, they had my pattern and to top it off they called me today to tell me my p[ad was shipped out today and included a tracking number! Talk to them yesterday, and pad shipped out next day, that my friends is customer service at its best!

Let us know if that template fits. I have a '06 vlx too and have been struggling with seadek's website. My deck pad is killing me when I climb back into the boat. I look like I have been ran over by a tire.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm following up on my original thread and have the new pad installed as of yesterday.

Since I couldn't find a size on the Seadek website that seemed to work with my platform, I ended up going with their template/custom pad route.

I can't believe I started this in February and just finished in July. Each time I went back and forth with Seadek it was the typical response of "we'll get that out in 2-3weeks", which always meant 3. Also, since I'm in Seattle and Seadek is in Florida it was 5 days transit time for each shipment.

I ordered the template from Seadek. While I waited for it to arrive I pulled the old pad off and cleaned the glue off via Goo Gone. It wasn't nearly as bad as what I read on the forums.

post-14915-0-46553700-1373048637_thumb.j

post-14915-0-46948800-1373048645_thumb.j

post-14915-0-75030300-1373048650_thumb.j

I traced the outline of my platform on their Mylar and sent it back. Wait 4 weeks (shipping + 3w). I received a drawing via email but really couldn't verify it because they only included a few dimensions. Because of their disclaimer of non-cancellable, non-returnable, custom product, etc. etc. I went ahead and ordered the verification sheet. It is another piece of mylar with the platform printed on it. Wait 4weeks.....

Ok, I received the verification and am glad I ordered it. I outlined the platform and didn't leave space around the edge. I mistakenly assumed they would subtract 1/8-1/4" from the edge of the platform. Not so, my bad.

Ok, draw changes on the verification sheet and return to Seadek, wait....

Changes received and I signed off for production.

The pad arrived in a flimsy box folded in half. Where they folded it they taped a piece of cardboard roll to prevent a crease. Hmm, ok still has a very slight crease as you see in the picture and I think the sun will take it out in time.

Anyway, here it is installed;

post-14915-0-52046500-1373049167_thumb.j

post-14915-0-91039300-1373049179_thumb.j

Great product, but execution a bit painful.

Edited by gmab

Nice work. I did my pad over the winter on my vlx. Same one as you. It is so much better the the old black rubber. Great grip 2.

• 1 year later...

Does anybody know the correct Seadek part # for a 2007 21'6 VLX with NO cut out? I was on the phone with them today and unfortunately they weren't able to advise me in the right direction. I was hoping someone here might be able to lend a hand... :dontknow:

I'm following up on my original thread and have the new pad installed as of yesterday.

Since I couldn't find a size on the Seadek website that seemed to work with my platform, I ended up going with their template/custom pad route.

I can't believe I started this in February and just finished in July. Each time I went back and forth with Seadek it was the typical response of "we'll get that out in 2-3weeks", which always meant 3. Also, since I'm in Seattle and Seadek is in Florida it was 5 days transit time for each shipment.

I ordered the template from Seadek. While I waited for it to arrive I pulled the old pad off and cleaned the glue off via Goo Gone. It wasn't nearly as bad as what I read on the forums.

attachicon.gifIMG_0779.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0783.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0794.jpg

I traced the outline of my platform on their Mylar and sent it back. Wait 4 weeks (shipping + 3w). I received a drawing via email but really couldn't verify it because they only included a few dimensions. Because of their disclaimer of non-cancellable, non-returnable, custom product, etc. etc. I went ahead and ordered the verification sheet. It is another piece of mylar with the platform printed on it. Wait 4weeks.....

Ok, I received the verification and am glad I ordered it. I outlined the platform and didn't leave space around the edge. I mistakenly assumed they would subtract 1/8-1/4" from the edge of the platform. Not so, my bad.

Ok, draw changes on the verification sheet and return to Seadek, wait....

Changes received and I signed off for production.

The pad arrived in a flimsy box folded in half. Where they folded it they taped a piece of cardboard roll to prevent a crease. Hmm, ok still has a very slight crease as you see in the picture and I think the sun will take it out in time.

Anyway, here it is installed;

attachicon.gifIMG_1156.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1155.JPG

Great product, but execution a bit painful.

I had a similar experience as you, except I replaced my whole floor carpeting...the whole damn thing!

It went something like this:

Trace pattern on Mylar --> send to SeaDek --> Wait for their designer to sketch pattern (usually a couple weeks) --> Reviewing emailed drawing --> Realize you can't tell anything from CAD drawing --> request 'fit kit', more Mylar (another week) --> Test fit 'fit kit' and mark-up changes --> send back to SeaDek so they can make changes to drawings (another two weeks --> wash, rinse, repeat.

All told, it took about 6 months to get a floor made. I finally had to go to Linked In and email every exec I could find before I got an real action from them.

Let this be a lesson to anyone thinking of going the SeaDek route. Do it over the winter or prepare for a looooong wait and lots of back and forth. It totally killed my season.

That being said, my new floor looks and feels fantastic. Was it worth the wait...maybe