Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best SURF wake? 2013 VLX, LSV or 22 MXZ

darthwhitey

I'm sure all these boats (VLX, LSV and 22 MXZ) all make a killer wakeboard wake...but my family loves to SURF!

(removing cost from the equation for a second...)

My guess is the bigger the boat the bigger and longer the wake. So the LSV and MXZ will out perform the VLX?

I surfed all last summer behind a 2012 21' V-Ride with plug-n-play sacks and loved it. My guess is the new 2013 Malibu's with surfgate will offer the same size wave but an even LONGER wave that this?

As anyone surfed behind an equally equipped 2013 LSV and MXZ? Which did you prefer?

thanks for the comments!

Although I really do love the front end of the MXZ, it does seem to bump up the price quite a bit? If the LSV throws the same surf wake, for less money, that's probably a big deciding factor

I had my mind made up on a VLX until I started reading this forum :lol:

The upcharge from VLX to LSV seems to be pretty minimal in the big scheme of things

Yes, the cost to get an lsv is really not much at all. I also thought I was going to get a vlx until I saw how little it would cost for another foot and a half of boat.

thanks for the comments!

Although I really do love the front end of the MXZ, it does seem to bump up the price quite a bit? If the LSV throws the same surf wake, for less money, that's probably a big deciding factor

I had my mind made up on a VLX until I started reading this forum :lol:

The upcharge from VLX to LSV seems to be pretty minimal in the big scheme of things

I had my mind set on a VLX initially, then the family and I sat in every Malibu boat including Axis. We love the room in the front of the MXZ 22 boat and felt it was worth the extra money now and what it would be worth in five years. Nope, you wont get all of the additional cost back but I do believe that there will be greater demand for "M" style boats when you are ready to sell. These are purely my opinions but also one of a few reasons I chose to order a MXZ 22 in lieu of the VLX or LSV.

I also went on factory tour in January and talked with the guy in charge of the fiberglass molds. According to him 70% of all boats being built were "M" style boats. That does not mean there's anything wrong with VLX or LSV but it does give you an idea of what buyers are demanding.

I like the mxz a lot, but I seriously doubt that it will have a better resale value. It has less Rome than an lsv but costs more now because it is perceived as a newer boat. Every new boat initially demands a premium and then after a few years its just another boat in the lineup. I remember when the x25 came out and everyone thought it would be best boat in the mc line, would dominate sales, and would have the best resale. Well, the x25 has been out for several years now and it's just another mc at this point.

Again, no knock on the mxz at all. It's sick! Just as nice as every othe bu. I just don't think that down the line it's going to hold value better, per se, but just consistent with other bu's.

Here is a great video of the capabilities of the VLX with surfgate. This boat has the Monsoon 350, ACME 1235 prop, weight setup is full quad ballast full, wedge 90% down, 10.2 mph with one 750 lb bag in each rear locker and one 750 lb bag on center walkway. 6 people in the boat total.... this wake looks pretty sweet!

Edited by Fman

Darthwhitey,

Just something to consider....

If you end up with the MXZ or LSV (which are both awesome), I would demo it with the weight you are going to be running in it. I know the VLX weighted in the video above is about maxed out with the Monsoon. I spoke with the person who made this video and was in the boat while the video was being made. He said he would recommend the LS3 for any more weight, the Monsoon 350 was giving everything it had. The LSV/MXZ weigh another 500-800lbs over the VLX, Im not sure if the Monsoon 350 would be adequate for a heavily weighted MXZ/LSV surfboat. If I were you, demo it how you plan on weighting the boat... possibly with the 750's in the lockers, and one in the walkway just to make sure you wont regret buying it with the Monsoon. I have heard the Monsoon is fine for stock ballast and wedge with the LSV/MXZ but when you start throwing another 2000+ lbs of bags on top of that its a good idea to upgrade to the LS3.

Best of luck with your purchase.... both of those boats are amazing.

Edited by Fman

I rode in an lsv with the high altitude prop, 750s in the rear factory full and 209lbs of lead in the front, wedge, and it did fine with the 350. Granted when we were wakeboarding we probably only ran about 550lbs in each rear sac, but the wake was money and the wave was sick. We also had 5 people in the boat.

I had the ls3 in my last axis. It's a sick motor, and is necessary when running the 3k of extra ballast I added to that boat. I thought the engine upgrade was warranted for that boat because I wanted to slam it with a ridiculous amount of weight.

I went with the 350 in my lsv because I didn't think the ls3 would be necessary for how I intend to weigh my boat this season. Ill probably won't be putting more than a couple of big sacs on the rear hatches and ill fill them till the boat won't plane.

One other thing to consider is that you have to run premium 100% of the time with the ls3 or it will pull timing.

I did the same lengthy search and eventually chose the MXZ 22. You can read what you want as far as opinions go, our MXZ wave is clean it just took a while to tweak it with the weight distributuion. I think you made a great choice.

Thanks guys for all the great info and videos!

Is the "LS3" the Corvette motor? If so, yeah, I had planned to add that to any boat I buy. But what about the 410HP 409/L96 6.0L CAT? I'm assuming that's a nice bump from the Monsoon too? I think the LS3 is about a $7k upgrade and the 410hp is "only" about half that?

Actually, I don't want to get too far off topic and move to engines (even though it is important!) but my main concern is which boat is gonna throw the "best" (biggest and longest) surf wake...and is the LSV or MXZ gonna offer a wake that's THAT much bigger and longer?

thanks again!

Darth, keep in mind that the 6.0 isn't really any more speed or torque than the monsoon 350 (maybe 1 mph on top end and no more low end torque than than the 350). It is just newer technology - an alternative to the monsoon 350.

Yes the LS3 is the vette motor. I think its 450 hp, but don't quote me on this. The LS3 will also give you better resale on the larger boats. It opens up your buyer market especially for the hard core riders wanting the extra weight capability.

The LS3 imo is not a necessity but If you can afford the LS3 I would definitely get it with the LSV or MXZ. As chatt mentioned it does require prem gas, but your talking $10-$15 difference when you fill up from mid grade fuel.

Edited by Fman

We have been Demoing new boats the last year and the MXZ has by far the worst surf wake of the three and the best wakeboard wake. If you're into suring the LSV is the way to go, and if you have the money the 247 has a really great surf wake, but like all BUs you have tobe willing to run heavy.

We have been Demoing new boats the last year and the MXZ has by far the worst surf wake of the three and the best wakeboard wake. If you're into suring the LSV is the way to go, and if you have the money the 247 has a really great surf wake, but like all BUs you have tobe willing to run heavy.

I tried to make it clear that the MXZ takes a little more tweaking to perfect the surf wave but alas everyone wants to judge it on a shoot from the hip perspective.

I tried to make it clear that the MXZ takes a little more tweaking to perfect the surf wave but alas everyone wants to judge it on a shoot from the hip perspective.

Don't get butt hurt over it. The MXZ is a great boat, it's just not Malibus strongest surf boat. The wakeboard wake is insane, just the surf wake does take tweaking, and even then it's not as good as the other models. It's not shooting form the hip it's something I've witnessed and tried first hand. If surfing was my top priority, which is my wifes, then the MXZ would not be on my list.

Don't get butt hurt over it. The MXZ is a great boat, it's just not Malibus strongest surf boat. The wakeboard wake is insane, just the surf wake does take tweaking, and even then it's not as good as the other models. It's not shooting form the hip it's something I've witnessed and tried first hand. If surfing was my top priority, which is my wifes, then the MXZ would not be on my list.

I dont get but hurt over much considering Im ripping out of one of the s***test deployments Ive ever had. Just thought I made that clear on these forums quite a few times. Nothing against any other boats as Im sure they have awesome surf waves. I just managed to perfect the MXZ with absolutely NO degradation to the face of the wave and all it took was a few tweaks (maybe 2 times out). I would say its on par with any VLX at this point.

I think there is two different discussions: Surf Gate Wave and Non-Surf Gate wave... I've seen great non surf-gate waves on MXZ boats including the new 24, but we haven't seen a great Surf Gate wave on the MXZ.

I think there is two different discussions: Surf Gate Wave and Non-Surf Gate wave... I've seen great non surf-gate waves on MXZ boats including the new 24, but we haven't seen a great Surf Gate wave on the MXZ.

Yeah ours was a surf gate MXZ and it was a really clean and long wave, but had very little push. Compared to the VLX with surfgate that blew it away all around.

Has anybody else noticed that the 22 MXZ swim platform seems to be mounted lower on the hull than the 23 LSV? It has always looked that way to me in pictures and in person.

To keep the surf wave clean the platform can't dig into the wave too much. If the MXZ platform is lower, then you can't put as much weight in the rear before this happens, which would limit the surf wave performance. It could also be why the surf gates seem to cause spray across the top more easily on the MXZ then the other models.

For what it's worth I've never surfed behind the MXZ, but it seems to be trickier to get dialed in than the LSV from everything I have heard. Just thinking out loud as to the possible reasons. Of course the MXZ wakeboard wake is fantastic. :thumbup:

Edited by Brett B