Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 VLX Ballast question

bluechevy32

Hi guys, Im new here and just purchased my first wakesetter! 2005 VLX. It is currently in dry storage for the winter. Marina that went through the boat said the bow tank and the center tank might have a problem. He said the bow tank impeller, I think, filled and the but wouldnt drain and the center tank drained but wouldn't fill. Not being in water he wasnt sure if they were connected some how? They mostly deal in cruisers and pontoon boats, not sure if he had ever worked on a boat with ballast tanks. Is this something I need to get checked out? It is probably a stupid question but I couldn't find any info about it online. Thanks!

Each tank will have its own fill and drain pump. Look in the center pull-out floor thing and you should see 3 pumps, 2 are fill pumps for front and center tanks, the other is a drain for front tank I believe. These are very easy to replace and should only be like $30/piece.

do you have 4 switches on the dash for ballast? I seem to remember 2005's having one switch to fill mid and bow ballast.

The pumps are located in the following areas

2 fill pumps screwed into the floor, one for mid, one for bow

1 drain pump screwed into the bottom of the mid ballast

1 drain pump behind the little "wall" leading into the bow, it's carpeted, you would kick it with your feet. It's screwed in there, you need to hunt them down

Don't replace them before you try this!!!!

Turn the switch on and then tap on each pump with a screwdriver handle. After a boat has been sitting for awhile sometimes the pumps just stick.