Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 sport air nautique compared to 99 sunsetter lx

singingskier

I would like to know which has better slalom wakes, the 99 sunsetter lx or the 2001 CC sport air nautique. I just sold my 99 and am trying to get a better ski wake while keeping approximately the same storage and room of the sslx. Haven't found any sslxi's or rlxi's in my price range. Am considering a 2000 rlx and know it has much superior slalom wakes than the sslx, but not the storage or room, and has the climb over bow access. I can get the nautique or the response for about the same price, the nautique has about 1/2 the hours, but a bow ding, and needs a new rub rail eventually. I'm not sure if the teleflex gauges have been replaced, and there is a small tear in the stern storage locker vinyl. The rlx also has a small tear in the same storage locker vinyl. The cc san has a tower and ballast, the rlx a Bimini and wedge.

I ski with a couple of guys during ski season, just got into 22 off at 32-34 mph. My wife slaloms but not aggressively. We sometimes invite friends and family for kneeboarding, tubing, slalom, teach some beginning wakeboarding, teach them to ski. San has the GT-40' and the rlx the monsoon 325 engine.

Really appreciate any insight you have.

Edited by singingskier

With an RLX you will have the storage of the back trunk able to hold about three skis and a little bit more storage under the dash then a walk through will have. The SSLxi has the best storage of any DD on the market, with the capability of having the best ski wakes in the Malibu lineup for it's size. When I was boat shopping a few years ago I looked at a CC Sport. The storage under the spotters seat was pretty nice and big, but I like the trunk better. That way someone doesn't have to move between ski sets. Sometimes my brother and wife will come out with us, with seven in the RLX it can be a little tight but it works for now.

Edited by CumminsBu

Test drive a Sport before you put too much more thought on just those 2 choices. The slalom wake on the Sport is not that good but the handling is terrible IMO. Both on lane & off plane turnar.ounds are like driving a school bus . Makes a big dfference when returning for a fallen skier as well as docking. It's pobably good cmpared to a I/O bu not evn close o a Malibu. I'd be looking for a SSLXI. Hands down best slalom wake of any boat it's size and handles like a sports car.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

okay, the deal on the 2000 Sport was too good to turn down, so I bought it and can give you my thoughts. The wakes are softer than the LX, different shape-more like a wide table than a hump behind the boat as the SSLX. It does have a pretty good bump a 22 off. My wife really doesn't like the wakes, but she doesn't like change. Her comments are that there is a dip on either side of the center portion. I went back and looked at old footage of our sking behind the SSLX and it had the dip also. The boat is more sensitive to weight than the SSLX. I like the modular build of it, in that within a few minutes I can have the entire back seat out and get to the fuel system easily. Also like the way they bundled the wiring to the dash and made it very simple inside the dash-but Malibu probably did the same in the 2000's and on. My Sport only has the 260 hp engine, but it is a hoss! The PCM 1:23 gear ratio helps it have plenty of hole shot. Top speed is only 41 mph, and it is carb'd. I thought at first the SSLX had more storage-but its just different storage. I can actually hide more water sports gear in the Sport than I could in the SSLX. I've read that you have to load the Sport down a lot to get decent wakeboarding wakes. Currently have the boat for sale though, didn't get that attached to it. Will be looking for a SSLXI or RLXI-even a 02 SSLX (almost bought one in May, but that's a story in itself!). I don't know if the Sport gave me confidence, or buying a S2 ski did it, but I started skiing regularly at 34 and have been attacking the 22 off every time I go out-which I never did behind the SSLXI. If I were able to ski more often, I'd be shortening the rope more......wife gave a kidney to my younger son this July so except for a church buddy who goes with me early once a week ever so often, I don't get to ski too often as of late.

I found for a 15' offer the sport nautique we ski behind 2005 (or maybe 2006) has a brick of a ski wake at 28-32 mph. 34 it starts mellowing out. My wife skis at 28-30 mph and refuses to ski behind that boat. I actually really like skiing behind it, because when I get back behind my boat I really appreciate how nice our wake is.

The S/N does track like a beast! I've yet to drive a boat that tracks so well.

Good to see you progressing on the skinny stick, I'm still trying to get up to full speed.

Good luck in your sale, and your next boat!