Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I NEED YOUR OPINION! 21 XTI?

pdrdlg

So, I am new to boats, been stalking the forum for months, posting for the 1st time....

I have looked at every resource and pretty much every boat out there. I have came back to one in particular and need to know if it is the right boat/deal. I will be using this as a starter boat for wakeboarding and general watersports.

2003 Wakesetter Xti, 189 hours, CLEAN!, getting it for $22k., 600 LBS IN FLOOR BALLAST, 3 NEW BILGE PUMPS, SWOOP TOWER, 4- NEW KICKER 6” TOWER SPEAKERS, 1- 12” KICKER (BRAND) SUBWOOFER, 1 KICKER 1000WATT MONO AMPLIFIER, 1 BOSS 1200 WATT 2 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER, 10 NEW STRIP LED LIGHTS FOR NIGHT TIME, NEW TELESCOPING TRANSOM LIGHT, WEDGE PLATE, TEAK SWIM PLATFORM, CANOPY.

ALL SAFETY EQUIPMENT, LIFE JACKETS (___), HYPERLITE WAKE SURF BOARD, TOW ROPES (___), SEADOO DOUBLE OCCUPANT TOWABLE TUBE, HYDRO SLIDE______ WAKEBOARD,­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_WAKEBOARD BOOTS

Seems to me that for the value versus dollar spent, this is the most I can get for my budget. As a starter boat, I wanted to spend no more than about $25k-$30k. Every V-drive I've looked at with serious interest, hovers around $30-32.... Help! Am I making the right choice!?!

I have an XTI and so far really like it. Some don't like the layout, but I find it great, especially crawling over the sunpad to get in and out. Mine won't throw a competition slalom or wakeboard wake, but does everything pretty well so far for us.

You can EASILY find the same vintage V-drive for under 30k. Hell, I looked at two and almost bought a 3rd (if water test was okay) when we bought back in the summer of 2011, the 2001 we purchased and two 2003's, the highest being 24k.

That XTi doesn't have a Skylon Swoop tower either.

Also, why does your signature say you have an '03 XTi already?

have no clue about the signature, but might as well stick with it. I'm water testing it tomorrow, if it goes good, I own it. The skylon swoop is an obvious aftermarket add. I know there are v-drives available for the budget, but similar specs being 2003 w 189 hours on it, and all equipment included for $22k, is that not a good deal?

I don't think it is a bad deal at all. But as they say, a great deal on the wrong boat is still a bad deal. But I don't think you'll be upset with the boat. If you are going to seriously get into wakeboarding and want the bigger water, then maybe look at a v-drive. I like the XTI seating as it provides a lot of rear facing seats. Good for the kids to watch each other.

I don't think it is a bad deal at all. But as they say, a great deal on the wrong boat is still a bad deal. But I don't think you'll be upset with the boat. If you are going to seriously get into wakeboarding and want the bigger water, then maybe look at a v-drive. I like the XTI seating as it provides a lot of rear facing seats. Good for the kids to watch each other.

thanks! my boys are 7 and 5, so I'm thinking this will be great to teach them with/enjoy with, then trade up as they and I become more advanced.

have no clue about the signature, but might as well stick with it. I'm water testing it tomorrow, if it goes good, I own it. The skylon swoop is an obvious aftermarket add. I know there are v-drives available for the budget, but similar specs being 2003 w 189 hours on it, and all equipment included for $22k, is that not a good deal?

That boat doesn't have a Skylon Swoop. It looks like a Skylon Tuna Tower from the picture.

The extra equipment isn't worth much. A total garbage wakeboard, cheap surf board, used tubes are a dime a dozen. I'd say that extra equipment is worth about $200 tops to the price of the boat.

The hours are nice, but for a 10 year old boat that low of hours can be concerning, as it likely could have set unused for a couple of years. Or someone used it 18.9 hours a year.

My guess is you will become disenchanted by the xti layout fairly soon, but if you plan to break into the sport with this boat and then upgrade in a couple years it might just be the right move for you...

I know 3 guys who own XTIs, all of them paid high 30s or low 40s. One is a slalom skier, the other 2 are SkySki riders, 1 guy also surfs a lot, all with families. They all love their boats. Advantages for them is that there is 2 distinctly separate areas on the boat (3 if you count the bow area). So the kids can play in the back, adults around the driver's area. Then the big engine cover is in the shade under the bimini. It's the kind of boat that doesn't specialize in any one discipline, but does it all pretty well.

Get the boat checked out by a mechanic. But assuming it checks out OK, it should be a great boat for you & your boys. Price seems pretty reasonable to me.

The pic you sent is one from Waterski Mag's website. So make sure your looking at a legit boat sale.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

So, I am new to boats, been stalking the forum for months, posting for the 1st time....

I have looked at every resource and pretty much every boat out there. I have came back to one in particular and need to know if it is the right boat/deal. I will be using this as a starter boat for wakeboarding and general watersports.

2003 Wakesetter Xti, 189 hours, CLEAN!, getting it for $22k., 600 LBS IN FLOOR BALLAST, 3 NEW BILGE PUMPS, SWOOP TOWER, 4- NEW KICKER 6” TOWER SPEAKERS, 1- 12” KICKER (BRAND) SUBWOOFER, 1 KICKER 1000WATT MONO AMPLIFIER, 1 BOSS 1200 WATT 2 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER, 10 NEW STRIP LED LIGHTS FOR NIGHT TIME, NEW TELESCOPING TRANSOM LIGHT, WEDGE PLATE, TEAK SWIM PLATFORM, CANOPY.

ALL SAFETY EQUIPMENT, LIFE JACKETS (___), HYPERLITE WAKE SURF BOARD, TOW ROPES (___), SEADOO DOUBLE OCCUPANT TOWABLE TUBE, HYDRO SLIDE______ WAKEBOARD,­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_WAKEBOARD BOOTS

Seems to me that for the value versus dollar spent, this is the most I can get for my budget. As a starter boat, I wanted to spend no more than about $25k-$30k. Every V-drive I've looked at with serious interest, hovers around $30-32.... Help! Am I making the right choice!?!

From the first post...