Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Filtermag

Has anyone had any experience with the Filtermags which hold to the outside of the oil filter picking up the metallic contaminates too fine for the filter?

Found this US site

http://www.shopfiltermag.com/

Found this AU site

http://www.filtermag.net.au/overview.html

Any feedback from experience would be of interest

Fram sucks! wait, what?

I tend to think that any larger particle that would hold would be picked up by the filter anyway. I don't see it grabbing smaller particles.

If you've ever pulled the pan on an automatic trans the material on the magnet has the consistency of mud. It's pretty fine stuff.

I dont run one but what could it hurt?

• Like 2

If you've ever pulled the pan on an automatic trans the material on the magnet has the consistency of mud. It's pretty fine stuff.

I dont run one but what could it hurt?

Agreed. I had a magnetic drain plug on the oil pan of my first Mustang and the plug always came out with "metallic mud" on it. Thinking back on it, I'm not sure why I haven't put magnets on on my filters or drain plugs since.

I'm not sure how well these work but doubt it would cause any harm. I never seem to get any debris on my engine oil plugs but the front diff of my truck gets a pile of the nasty gunk on the drain plug (147k and still works fine, so no reason to look further into it).

We have magnetic drainplugs on our tractors and heavy duty equipment. We sometimes get mud on them when doing oil changes, but a very minimal amount. I've also heard of guys using hard drive or other heavy magnets on the end of oil filters. Heck of a lot cheaper I would think, considering they ask around $60 for the FilterMags.