Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 era Malibu VTX vs VLX vs VRide

SouthsideBoarder

I am new to the site, spent alot of time searching and reading posts and now is the time to join. I am looking for my first V-drive and have narrowed it down to hulls from this era. My family enjoys skiing (recreational, no course or anything fancy) and wakeboarding. We want to take up surfing so want a boat that would hopefully do all three well. I understand the VRide is the previous generation VLX (00-04ish). The VLX ran 2005-2008. The VTX is a newer style and kind of does all things pretty well?

Any recommendations on which one should be the better all around boat? I would like to keep it in the 21.5 feet and shorter range. I would like to make sure that surfing will allow us to progress should we like it alot and not feel the need to upgrade right away to acheive that, but still be able to ski. We have always done our skiing behind a 18ft I/O so it doesn't need to be tournament flat for us to have a good time. Excited to be a part of the crew and thanks for the responses. I am looking to keep it under $45,000 and am up for suggestions.

I am really interested in the VRide to save money but do not want buyers remorse or wishing I put down for a VLX or VTX. I see alot of people are happy with their VRides, I just want to make sure the wave would be good to go ropeless and not risk swamping the boat as well with less freeboard than the others.

Edited by SouthsideBoarder

If you want to ski at all the VTX is the winner. I have had one since 2007. It will throw a massive surf wake with enough wieght and pro level wakeboard wake. You should be able to find a VTX in that price range. I recently had mine for sale and had good interest a little higher in price. SALE PENDING or I would offer it to you. space wise the VTX is very similar in cabin space to the previous version VLX's you are shopping. You don't loose much in the cabin with the VTX being a foot and a half shorter.

Heres a shot of the surfwave with a Wakemakers.com custom sack.

cadesurf2.jpg

First, :welcome:

I have a V-Ride love it. The VTX maybe your best bet one thing to keep in mind is room. The VTX when sacked out will be a little tight. The V-Ride has a great wake and you can do it all. But the VLX is the next step. If I give the V-Ride a 8 than I give the VLX a 10 for all but skiing. The V-Ride will be a little better for skiing. Do a search and you will find many good ideas about this.

So with all this said VTX best skiing but will loss room when wakeboarding and Surfing. V-Ride next best skiing way more room and a good wakeboard and surf wake. VLX worst of the 3 skiing but is still ok unless we are great skiers. But the best wakeboard and surf wake.

Edited by Bradley Thornton

I run all my weight under the seats or in the rear compartments. I can't stand sacks in the boat. That picture has all the weight under the port side seats and rear compartment. Just FYI.

Thanks for the responses. Bobby, is that a diamond or wake hull that is in that picture surfing? Does the hull make that much of a difference between the diamond and wake for the VTX and VLX? Bradley, I am leaning towards the VRide because I read it is a great hull, I just want to make sure I don't have what ifs (I also am attracted to the extra bling on the wakesetters even though it is not functional). I have used the search function alot and learned alot, there is a ton of great information on here. I understand there needs to be compromise somewhere. I really like the look of the VTX and that surf wave looks great. I just don't want to become obsessed with surfing and then want to upgrade the boat I just bought.

Also, should I be considering an Axis A20? That kind of falls into the price range, unsure how it compares to the rest.

I have a 2001 Wakesetter VLX. I believe this should be close to a V-Ride. Last year we had two men sit on the rear locker, a 400lb sac on the port side bench seat as far to the back as we could get it, and the ski locker ballast filled. Typically we would have 2 100lb women (one of them driving), 2 150-160lb men, and 1 220lb man. All but the driver would stack the port side, minus the one surfing. These are videos of us surfing that setup.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tyyrant27/videos

This should help give you an idea of what can be made of the surf wave. At least I hope it helps. I am about to put in a much better ballast system. I expect this year's wave to be much better. We don't ski, but when I am driving at 32-36 to get to the other side of the lake the wake isn't that big. It is definitely big enough that I am sure you will feel it. It won't be like an older DD (which I used to ski behind) where you can slice right through it with a little knee bend. For recreational skiing it would be fun and fine. You will have to absorb more in the knees and will lose the cut I would imagine. For wakeboarding and surfing, the platform is great. Also, I have a wake hull.

I'll add my $0.02. I have an 06 VLX (same hull as 07 VLX). I also came from skiing behind a 18ft runabout. The ski wake was an upgrade for me. I have the Diamond hull and have no complaints. I will say, the larger the boat, generally the better potential for surf wake (although it requires more weight to get it to that potential). For example I prefer a 23 for surfing compared to my 21.5.

Only you can determine how good of a ski wake you want/need. I would suggest getting out and riding behind a VLX and VTX. The V-ride, while a great boat is narrower and not as much free-board. For the price difference at that year, I would stick with a VLX or VTX. You may also want to look at 09 V-Ride as they changed to the old VLX hull. You might be able to get one at the same price as an 07 VLX.

My general rules of thumb:

Smaller Boat - better for skiing, less top potential for surfing but less weight required to reach surf potential, more weight required for wakeboarding wake to reach same as larger hull.

Larger Boat - worse for skiing, better top potential for surfing but more weight needed to reach surf potential

Diamond hull option - helps skiing a lot and hurts surfing/wakeboarding minimally

The vlx in a diamond hull would be my choice. If your sking an I/O you will still be upgrading and the vlx is a great all around boat. Best thing to do is go ride them. Only your gut can make the choice.

Edited by liljohn
  • Like 1

This should help you with all the different hulls. It is up top under resources.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/specs.html

Bobby should have a V25, No diamond hull. The V25 can take some real weight. Like 1,100 lb surf side and 500 lb up in the bow. The VLX has the same hull. just a foot and a half longer and 2' more draft (how deep the boat sets in the water). Bobby said he had all his ballast hidden I don't think he is hiding a 1100 lb sack in that boat so the wake may could get bigger. I'm sure he will chime back in. The V-Ride is a great boat like has been said it will just be a little harder on the knees.

If you are looking at V-Rides this is a nice one.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40209-selling-my-babymaybe2006-vride/

We run a VTX with an extra 750 in the locker and another 350 under the port side seats on top of the factory ballast. Just stock ballast up front and our wave looks like Bobby's. Its easy to hide 1100 lbs out of site on a VTX. Great slalom wake and all we need for surfing. Couldn't be happier.

Thanks for all the responses. In regards to the Vride needing more freeboard. Is it pretty tricky driving it for surfing loaded to do so?

I am thinking I probably should be looking for a VLX w/ Diamond.

Bradley or Cory do you have any pics of your surf wave in your Vrides?

A couple from our dearly departed 06 vride:

P1040328.JPG

P1040198.JPG

And a vid:

http://youtu.be/AUXkaJ5yMG4

You can definitely get a decent wave from the vride. It doesn't have a lot of freeboard, though, compared to more modern hulls, and it will be low in the water to get it big. My wife hated driving it when it was sacked out because it was relatively easy to chilly dip, not to mention that the surf side of the boat feels pretty exposed to a roller from the side. Totally manageable if you are the sort of person who pays attention to their surroundings at all times and anticipates problems... but not everyone is like that.

The video was when I still had the hard tanks in, so it was hard tank, plus a 750 next to the hard tank, plus a 400 on top of that, and the locker door was kinda popped open a little.

The two pics were with the hard tanks removed and just a 750.

Did the 750 fill all the way? How many people were in the boat? Center tank full? Wedge? Any bow weight?

When the tanks were pulled, yes, the 750 fills all the way. Center full as well. Five people in the boat, probably 600 lbs worth total, and I don't remember, but I'd bet we had at least one kid in the bow, maybe two (100-200ish of the 600 in human weight). No bow ballast to speak of.

The '05-'08 Vride is the same hull (SV23 Wake) as the '96-'00 Sunsetter VLX and '99-'04 Wakesetter VLX. At a 45k budget I wouldn't bother and honestly would save some money and go older for the same hull (a number of improvements were done on the '04 Wakesetter VLX).

You can score an '05-'06 Wakesetter VLX for 35-40k and would probably be the choice you would enjoy the most. These models seem to be bottoming out in price as well, so now is the time to buy as I don't see them going down more than a few thousand over the next couple of years.

You would have no issues going ropeless surfing on a SV23 hull and still being safe to drive but you aren't going to get as good of a wake as the V25 hull on the '05-'08 VLX.

to the OP -- where you at? I know of an 05 vlx with quad ballast, manual wedge, heater shower, nice stereo, T3 tower, and dual axle trailer that's going to be for sale really soon in Northern Nevada...

I'm located in South Dakota. Thanks for the videos and responses. I think for the cost difference I really should go to a 05-08 VLX. I think the higher freeboard and more "bling" are what I am wanting. I don't know if it is against forum rules but what should I be looking to pay for a 07 Vride vs a VLX of that era?

I would be interested in seeing pics, condition, hours, cost, etc. on that 05 VLX Shawn.

Though I would prefer to see it in person before I buy it. Is that what most people do/recommend? I have trouble putting that kind of money into something without seeing it first and giving it a thorough look? I read of some people buying a boat almost sight unseen.

Bought my 05 vlx 2 years ago, I love it so much. I have no desire to upgrade. I still feel this hull is the best wake I've ever ridden and have been on many newer nicer boats. Has tons of room for the size and have yet to ride a wake I like better :) (have not ridden a G23 yet). Go 05-08 vlx and you won't be disappointed.

I think I may have decided on a 2009 VTX w/ Diamond Hull

I've done alot of searching and some people say that there is no difference in surf and wakeboard wake diamond vs wake hull and some wriet there is a "huge" difference. Anybody with this year experience? Any idea on how it would compare to a 2007 Vride for surf and wakeboard? We do ski but recreational at around 25-28mph. Any idea on what a 2009 VTX should cost or I should expect to pay for these days (please PM me if you cannot post it here). Can I get a similar wave/wake to the 07 VLX or Vride? Will it require more weight, less weight?

Thanks

Edited by SouthsideBoarder