Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 21 Sunscape ballast sac sizes

LiquidCourage

Just bought a 21 sunscape. No ballast, so I want to start with 2 rear sacs and one ski locker sac. Recommendations? Also will need pumps, so any feedback about Johnson vs. Jabsco vs aeration would be great. Thanks to all!

Just bought a 21 sunscape. No ballast, so I want to start with 2 rear sacs and one ski locker sac. Recommendations? Also will need pumps, so any feedback about Johnson vs. Jabsco vs aeration would be great. Thanks to all!

That was quick! Previous post you were still looking. Two hours later you've already bought!

For surfing, I put a 750 in the rear locker surf-side, a 400 on the rear seat surf-side, and a 400 in the bow. For wakeboarding, I use the 400s in both rear lockers, but if I were plumbing permanently, I'd put 750s in both rear lockers [and just not fill them completely] and maybe the 580 in the ski locker (You should probably change from the stock 381 prop to at least the 537 if you're going to be running with the extra ballast).

For skiing, i put a 155 pound Fat Brick in the bow [with just the driver in the boat and, ideally, with just a quarter tank of gas].

Yeah- had a couple that I was debating on and a great deal came up. Will go with the 750's and 580. Gotcha on skiing recommendations- thanks for those and prop advice. Also- haven't had the wedge before- all the way down?

Edited by LiquidCourage
  • Like 1

Yeah- had a couple that I was debating on and a great deal came up. Will go with the 750's and 580. Gotcha on skiing recommendations- thanks for those and prop advice. Also- haven't had the wedge before- all the way down?

Yep, all the way down on the wedge, assuming, of course, that your '05 has the older style manual wedge.

If you have the black and bronze manual wedge, you might want to check whether yours has two or three bolts on either side holding the wedge itself to the vertical supports, and whether they are the original allen head bolts. If they are the originals and are the least bit oxidized, you might want to consider replacing them. Pretty simple to do and good insurance against wedge failure, especially if your wedge [like mine] has only two bolts per side. Those bolts are the weak link.

The wedge will give you a nice lip some like it and some don't so I would put wedge down and see if you like it and then pull it up and fill them 750s and see how you like it. I like the wedge down for both surfing and Wakeboarding. Also I would get the 1100s that way you can fill that locker to the max if you want. You never half to but at least you can. You may also need to reinforce your walls between the locker and the engine.

The wedge will give you a nice lip some like it and some don't so I would put wedge down and see if you like it and then pull it up and fill them 750s and see how you like it. I like the wedge down for both surfing and Wakeboarding. Also I would get the 1100s that way you can fill that locker to the max if you want. You never half to but at least you can. You may also need to reinforce your walls between the locker and the engine.

Will the 750's fit (lengthwise) in the rear lockers?