Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mxz perfect paas troubles

Doubleupdan

Hi I have just started riding with a friend on his mxz and the perfect pass isnt holding the speed well.

It will drop 2 kph and over shoot by 2 coming out of the hole and then ramdomly during the ride. We are using the wedge and i think it has a 410 motor. Is there any way of changing the nm / kdw settings as thats what i have done on older boats before the sort this out but the display doest seem to have any options for that

Thanks

An MXZ won't have perfect pass. It does have factory speed control however. Depending on the year it may have the autoset wedge which, when it adjusts can temporarily affect speed. Is the arrow indicator well within the throttle range on malivue? Are you having same issue in RPM?

An MXZ won't have perfect pass. It does have factory speed control however. Depending on the year it may have the autoset wedge which, when it adjusts can temporarily affect speed. Is the arrow indicator well within the throttle range on malivue? Are you having same issue in RPM?

Perfect Pass was an option on early 2012's before the integrated GPS was released, best of my knowledge it's independent speed control so no throttle position shows up in Malivew. I would contact PP for an owners manual to see if you can adjust the sensitivity and refresh rate like the older units.

Perfect Pass was an option on early 2012's before the integrated GPS was released, best of my knowledge it's independent speed control so no throttle position shows up in Malivew. I would contact PP for an owners manual to see if you can adjust the sensitivity and refresh rate like the older units.

That would actually be zero off...perfect pass hasn't been a factory option in years. Is it possible that someone could after market install a drive by wire perfect pass system, perhaps, depending on engine management software version, but that's not likely.

That would actually be zero off...perfect pass hasn't been a factory option in years. Is it possible that someone could after market install a drive by wire perfect pass system, perhaps, depending on engine management software version, but that's not likely.

You sir are correct, just know my order was delayed in fall of 2011 waiting on GPS. It's very possible the OP has Zero Off...

Ok I guess it isnt PP but it isnt zero off so I guess it is just the factory speed control. I have tried having the the speed arrow high or lower in the enganged range and it doesnt seem to make much difference.

The wedge does auto adjust but the speed is dropping even when the wedge isnt moving ( though it is worse when the wedge moves)

I havent tried it in rpm mode but ill do that tomorrow when i ride.

How is your speedometer responding? Does the MPH work properly? Have you climbed under the boat and checked the paddle wheel for debris of missing veins? This would be my first recommendation. The Malibu Cruise will work off the paddle wheel, if it has debris or is not spinning properly this will cause this to happen.

Once you are at speed it should hold within .5mph +/- with factory ballast and wedge. Are you running excessive amount of weight in the boat? I know the Malibu Cruise starts to struggle when you start adding excessive amountn of ballast (+3,500 lbs).

Edited by Fman

The paddle wheel based speed control works perfectly in my VLX with the Monsoon even when running extra ballast. However a local buddy with a MXZ with the LSA motor has trouble holding speed in MPH mode with the paddle wheel system. It seems to overshoot when you cut out, as if it's giving too much throttle. The speed then undershoots by too much and this repeats. It's as if the gain is set too high in the PID control loop for the more powerful engine, as the same change in throttle position on that engine changes speed by much more than the Monsoon for example. I don't know that he has contacted Malibu about it but if you are having problems you should. I have ridden behind a Nautique 230 with the GPS speed control. That boat also surged quite a bit, much more than my boat does. So I wouldn't blame it on the paddle wheel approach (assuming it is clean and intact) because a GPS system can surge just as much if the control logic isn't done properly.

Edited by Brett B

Are you running excessive amount of weight in the boat? I know the Malibu Cruise starts to struggle when you start adding excessive amountn of ballast (+3,500 lbs).

"Excessive" reads as a pejorative in your quote. Boo. :)