Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 On 07 LSV

calilsv

I believe I few here have done this, but cant really find anything about if the tower was mounted in the same exact location.

I'm going to be installing a G3 on my 07 and I'm trying to see if previous people installed it in the same location or further back. Since it is a bigger tower I think it might not fold under the windshield. I'm not too worried about fixing the gelcoat if I install it further back, just trying to see what others have done before I actually start the process.

Thanks

Bobby Light put one on a 09 lsv and put it in the same location as the IXS. He does'nt seem to have any issues, but it does seem that it is mounted a tad bit further back on the newer boats.

I had one installed on my 08 VTX, it installs in the same holes, so no gelcoat repair. But the tower does not fold down under the windshield. It sits right on top. So to pull it into my 8 foot garage door, I had to pull the hoop and racks off. It did fit though.

Good luck.

Thanks MalibuWantToBe that's what I wanted to know. How much would you need to move it back if you wanted to get it under the windshield. Since mine is a LSV I might be able to move it back one mounting hole and get it to clear.

djheywood it all depends on the dealer and how much they want to hook you up, but if you looking to fully replace an ixs with g3 racks and bimini installed you probably looking between 8k and 9k

• 1 month later...

Ouch that's a lot of payments toward a new ride. Not sure the cost would pay back when time to sell.

:no: it certainly doesn't take a 50k boat and automatically turn it into 60k boat imo. I've never asked my dealer what the upgrade would cost because it would look ridiculous on my boat but I've also heard upwards of 10k for tower, bimini, and racks. I have a feeling most people who are putting these towers on pre-2010 boats have some kind of "deal" worked in their favor.

Edited by Ndawg12

Thanks MalibuWantToBe that's what I wanted to know. How much would you need to move it back if you wanted to get it under the windshield. Since mine is a LSV I might be able to move it back one mounting hole and get it to clear.

djheywood it all depends on the dealer and how much they want to hook you up, but if you looking to fully replace an ixs with g3 racks and bimini installed you probably looking between 8k and 9k

Sorry just saw this tonight. I don't have an exact measurement, I would think 6 inches back and it would easily fold. I would guess 3 inches might be the number if you just want to barely clear the windshield and don't have a mirror attached to it.. Here is a picture that shows the tower folded down, you can see the mirror attachment is resting on the windshield. Even with it off, it still rests on top of the windshield.

PM my and I can email you a picture of the tower folded down. It's too big to post.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Just to let some of you guys know the tower itself from Malibu with no hookups is right around 4500. Then you need racks, Bimini and a mirror on top of that.

It may not always be about upgrading to something new, but people may run into a situation where their illusion X or XS is no longer usable. The price of those and a G3 NEW is about the same. For the price people pay for these boats whats a couple thousand extra to get the bimini and racks to go on a g3.

I always find it funny when people says things like KTRENT above, but whats a couple grand on a 40k-60k TOY!!!

Just to let some of you guys know the tower itself from Malibu with no hookups is right around 4500. Then you need racks, Bimini and a mirror on top of that.

It may not always be about upgrading to something new, but people may run into a situation where their illusion X or XS is no longer usable. The price of those and a G3 NEW is about the same. For the price people pay for these boats whats a couple thousand extra to get the bimini and racks to go on a g3.

I always find it funny when people says things like KTRENT above, but whats a couple grand on a 40k-60k TOY!!!

I don't find it ironic or inconsistent at all to be worried about the costs of the tower here. 8K is more than a 'couple grand'.

$4500 plus racks and bimini are going to put you over 7K if you get the expensive rotating racks and such. Aren't the rotating board racks from Malibu $1,000 each all by themselves? Then you figure either your own labor or someone else's labor to run wires, and install it and I would call this an 8K job. To make the math simple, on a 40K boat, that is 20% of the entire cost of the boat.

Now the guys that crack me up are those complaining about the cost of gas. IMHO, those are the ones that don't see the whole picture of the costs involved here.

• Like 2

"It may not always be about upgrading to something new, but people may run into a situation where their illusion X or XS is no longer usable."

If for whatever reason someone finds themselves in a situation where they must get a new tower, the position I'm in right now, It's 2-3 grand extra to get the G3 with the needed accessories.

In the end I guess it's like most things on these boats, who really needs 3-4k in speakers hanging from the tower,1k in leds, and 20' rims on a their trailer. We do it because we like the look not because it's practical.

I agree if your tower is broke and the g3 loaded was only 2 grand more than aftermarket tower loaded I would go g3. It would increase value more than a aftermarket. I would not however spend 8 grand on a older boat just for a upgrade. I promise you could take that money and use it toward a trade and come out better down the road. <br /><br />And note to everyone. You will never hear me complain about gas in toys.

A Samson blade tower on a Malibu LSV??????? You have got to be kidding me. I'd rather put an illusion X back on, beside the Blade is 3k, pretty close to a G3.

The G3 is a well made stout tower, I don't think any others compare not even the illusion x or xs.

They are VERY SOLID towers. Looks very similar to the G3 . If your gonna put a G3 on an outdated boat, you should have no problem putting a Blade on the same boat. The newer blade tower from Samson is 20 times stronger than that POS Metcraft garbage called the Illusion. That was one of my biggest complaints with my old boat.

1500 bucks cheaper than a G3 seems like a nice savings to me. Buys better than factory spinner racks and gets ya half way to a Bimini.

Damn, I come on here looking for a simple answer and get told how not to spend my money, how I would be better off spending my money, and now how outdated my boat is. Bobby I could have easily just gone out and bought a 2013 to match my new tower, but I don't see a need to upgrade just to keep up with the jones.

A G3 is also a VERY SOLID tower, and the samson looks like shi*.... And the Malibu Spinner racks for the G3 are one of the best I've seen.

Lol guy, nobody is telling you how to spend your money. It's yours, blow it how you see fit, you won't hurt my feelings. All I am saying is whatever you put into that boat, you will never get back......ever. It's depreciating as we speak.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I think you find a lot of folks out there that like the Blade. It's well made and rock solid. If you haven't had a chance to play with the Samson spinner racks.......I know why you think the factory ones are so great. Never mind.

Who you calling a Jones? I hope not me? I don't keep up with them I teach the Joneses how to play.;)

Bobby you weren't telling me how to spend my money others did that. It's all in fun I just find it funny.

But I don't see Samson products on the same level as the g3. Just my opinion, we all have.

I definitely not worried about making money off this new tower, this is all about having fun anyways.

You did point me to the right person so thanks for that.