Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much to bite on a 2012?

mrnate450r

Anybody have any thoughts on what dollar figure it would take to buy a 2012 over a 2013? In my mind I think I would be interested in a holdover for an $8,000-10,000 savings over a similarly equipped 2013. That savings would have to be over a well priced (not over inflated) 2013.

When i got my 2012 vlx new last fall i priced out a 2013 and there was a $11,000 dollar difference. It was optioned out identical with the exception of surf gate on the 2013. When I priced out the 2012 it was 31% off msrp and that was late last fall. Seemed like a no brainer to me. They might be willing to part with the 2012 for even less now that it`s later. Or maybe they will increase the price as it gets closer to spring, who knows how they think.

Several of us have picked up 2012 LSV for around 70k. that is probably 10-12k difference from 2013. I just couldn't justify surfgate for that much savings. Plus, i look for there to be aftermarket options available. that technology is just too easy to duplicate.

Going through the same argument right now, except on a 247. I think I could build an identical surfgate system, just curious about controling it through MTC. There has to be some way of programming the touch panel to accept it, but unsure if dealers have that capablity and it may also require a new fuse panel. Want to run the surfgate platform regardless as it is cut to stay out of the wave a little better. I am hoping that it can possibly be added after next year or so, somewhat similar to the power wedge scenerio.

Let's say a 12k price difference. Now pretty much all 2013 V-drives have surfgate, a 3k option. Now we are at a 9k difference.

Assume a resale in 3-4 years, what will the year-to-year price difference be on average (all else being equal). My guess in that age will be at least 5k. So, you are saving 4k (or 7k depending on how you want to look at it).

EXCEPT Surfgate will be the resale game-changer. I'd put it in the same year-to-year price change as a boat re-design change. Where price difference between 2010 to 2011 to 2012 will be similar, 2013's will not. People will want the surfgate boats. In 3-4 years, they will be willing to pay a much bigger price difference in a 2013 over a 2012 than they would a 2012 over a 2011.

Bottom line: If you plan to keep your boat for many years to come and don't care about surfgate, buy the 2012. If you plan to sell in the next few years, buy the 2013 with Surfgate whether you care about it or not.

Going through the same argument right now, except on a 247. I think I could build an identical surfgate system, just curious about controling it through MTC. There has to be some way of programming the touch panel to accept it, but unsure if dealers have that capablity and it may also require a new fuse panel. Want to run the surfgate platform regardless as it is cut to stay out of the wave a little better. I am hoping that it can possibly be added after next year or so, somewhat similar to the power wedge scenerio.

According to multiple dealers I spoke with, Malibu is saying 3-5 year hold on parts for all Surfgate components. I was thinking the same thing, change the platform, add the gates, update MTC software, etc... pretty simple but Malibu is selling more boats and its a smart business decision. I caved in, 2013 arrives in early April.

Several of us have picked up 2012 LSV for around 70k. that is probably 10-12k difference from 2013. I just couldn't justify surfgate for that much savings. Plus, i look for there to be aftermarket options available. that technology is just too easy to duplicate.

Bam,

Let's not generalize. I picked mine up for 69,900 not 70k,

My price difference is alot less than 12k. That's the tough part.... Lets just say that based on MSRP I am looking at about a 40ish% discount on the 2012. They are willing to throw in the first three years of service and do a custom ballast system install with custom sacks on the '12 also. My biggest drawback has been not necessarilly the fact that I need surfgate, but the fact that it may be tough to sell in the next 5 years.The market for the 24+ feet boats is already tough enough. I think I can be happy with the boat for at least that long, but typically that has been about the longest I want to keep a boat, truck, ect.

I know you can at least order the platform, or at least Malibuzer says so. I havent seen it with my own eyes though. Actuators and gates are easy to come by, controls are not so simple.

I don't think the "hold" on parts will last long as people are gonna put these things into docks.. Actuators are gonna fail and parts will have to be available and lord knows there have been issues with the MTC panels. Coming up with the HULL id number is all it will take to get parts.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Good luck with that, hope it works out for you. Sounds like you have to convince your dealer to falsify a hull id to get the parts.

Also heard the transom area has been reinforced to take the pressure of the gates.

I would have to question how much reinforcment is necessary in that specific area, especially given the low speed that the gates are used at and the size of the fasteners used. Heard all the same bs about the wedge and floating wedge when it came out.

"Good luck with that, hope it works out for you. Sounds like you have to convince your dealer to falsify a hull id to get the parts."

Just because you use a hull id to order certain components doesnt mean you cant put them on another boat. LOL. It's not like I am trying to steal them under warranty and have Malibu pay for them .Things will turn up, mark my words. They always have in the past.

I hope your the guy that tears your surfgate off on the dock and has to pass a background check and get security clearance to buy one. :rockon:

Edited by Bobby Bright
  • Like 1

If it's the white/charcoal 247 the pics look sharp! :rockon:

• Like 1

There are a few, but yes, That's the one I am looking at. I was pretty impressed with the water test. It drove exceptionally well and I almost could not tell it was such a big boat untill I got up next to a dock. Then I REALLY noticed the extra 4.7'. I think it needs thrusters to get away from the dock. Might just add a trolling motor or two.

• Like 2

I would have to question how much reinforcment is necessary in that specific area, especially given the low speed that the gates are used at and the size of the fasteners used. Heard all the same bs about the wedge and floating wedge when it came out.

"Good luck with that, hope it works out for you. Sounds like you have to convince your dealer to falsify a hull id to get the parts."

Just because you use a hull id to order certain components doesnt mean you cant put them on another boat. LOL. It's not like I am trying to steal them under warranty and have Malibu pay for them .Things will turn up, mark my words. They always have in the past.

I hope your the guy that tears your surfgate off on the dock and has to pass a background check and get security clearance to buy one. :rockon:

Ouch, that one hurts. Appreciate the enthusiasm.... your a tough one to figure out.

I would rather wait a few years because I feel that the price of surfgate will go down and I don't want to be one of the early adopters. Also, I decided to take a great deal in 2012 now in hopes of selling it in the future and making some profit.

Malibu marketing is doing its job at convincing people that they have to trade in for surfgate. Also, they have convinced people that the market for non surfgate boats will be crap so you should spend more money on 2013.

Lets hope the upward new boat pricing does not continue. Since 2011 malibu raised there prices approx 10%. My thought was the opposite, the longer I wait the more money it costs me. My boat depreciates every year and Malibu keeps raising there prices!

I guess boat sales are good, the production line seems healthy at Malibu.

Lets hope the upward new boat pricing does not continue. Since 2011 malibu raised there prices approx 10%. My thought was the opposite, the longer I wait the more money it costs me. My boat depreciates every year and Malibu keeps raising there prices!

I guess boat sales are good, the production line seems healthy at Malibu.

I think bamabonners is right. It would certainly depend what you bought it for. If you got a good deal then it should hold value. Not everyone is completely sold on surfgate

I think bamabonners is right. It would certainly depend what you bought it for. If you got a good deal then it should hold value. Not everyone is completely sold on surfgate

I was not sold on surfgate either until I went out and demo'd and experienced it first hand. If you surf a lot or have interest in surfing more well worth the upgrade, if you are an avid wakeboarder and rarely surf then its probably not as big of a selling feature. For us it was the ease of surfing, switching sides, anyone can sit anywhere in the boat, boat drives flat, etc.... Sometimes nobody would surf just because it was a pia to load one side of the boat up, jam everyone in the corner, etc. I have no doubt we will be on the surf board much more just because of how simple it is surf now.