Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just ordered a 2013 LSV - the new Chattwake boat!

Chattwake

sikk color man!! one thing is for sure, LSV is by far the best wake/room/storage/design/size boat out there. I hope to have a new LSV next year!!

Congrats, looks good!

How well does the factory plug-n-play work? It fills the hard tanks first and then the overflow fills the fat sacs correct? Does this method still have the same issue of draining really slowly back into the hard tank?

I already have an integrated system with extra pumps installed in my boat, but I was just curious how well it worked since Malibu is offering this from the factory now.

It wont work near as good as your Jabsco setup for draining. I ordered the PNP on my 13, it sounds like they have improved it but you cant compete with impeller pumps for draining bags. The Aerator pumps will not pull a draft at all. I am keeping my fingers crossed it drains adequately good, according to Spencer at wakemakers for $20 more in parts it can be improved even more. And ordering the correct bags with the larger 1" threaded fitting also helps release more water while draining.

Chatt, congrats on your new boat... wow, what an upgrade from the Axis! what other options are you getting? Did you go with the stainless turndown exhaust tips?

Is the fly hi a 1" fitting or actual 1" opening? I thought the fly hi could use a 1" fitting with a 3/4" opening?. Spencer at wakemakers recommended the straight line or ronix bags.

The Fly HIgh bags have 3/4" threaded ports. Straight Line and Ronix both use 1" threaded ports. Yes you can get bigger fittings for Fly High bags on the barb or quick connect end but the thread end is still 3/4". The flow rate between the two is fairly impressive.

Fly High Sacs Explained

Straight Line Sacs Explained

Edited by spencer

Ok. Assuming that's the case. if the barb fittin that fits inside the hose that drains the bags are the same interior diameter, what's the difference in real world use in connection with a plug n play system? I mean, you could put 3 inch ports in the bags, but if you still have to use a fitting that fits inside a particular hose, the bottle neck is the same.

So, if you want to convince me that the straightline bag will flow faster in the bu pnp system, show me pictures of the fittings for both bags, and if the inside diameter of the fitting for the straightline bag is larger than the inside diameter of the fitting for the fly high bag (where the fitting inserts into the factory hose), then I may understand a faster flow rate argument. However, I guess you'd also have to demonstrate that the fitting on the other side of the hose that drains into the hard tank is also larger than the fly high fitting, because water is only going to flow as fast as the smallest opening.

OK, so if that's the case, you were no doubt using flyhighs and you drained a 750 in what, 6-8 minutes? Personally, I think the factory hi flo is more than fine with the flyhighs as is, let alone concern over adding pumps and stressing about the fittings.

Ok. Assuming that's the case. if the barb fittin that fits inside the hose that drains the bags are the same interior diameter, what's the difference in real world use in connection with a plug n play system? I mean, you could put 3 inch ports in the bags, but if you still have to use a fitting that fits inside a particular hose, the bottle neck is the same.

According to the video the Fly has 3/4" openings to 1" quick disconnects. The Straightline has 1" opening to 1" quick disconnects. The Fly hi bag is reducing the flow from 3/4" to 1", the straightline is going from 1" to 1". I can see how it would drain better with the straightline because the flow is not being constricted at the threaded opening like the fly hi.

Does that make sense? Or maybe I am not looking at correctly? seems to make sense to me.

Edited by Fman

First off I am stoked for Chattwake. The LSV is the best Malibu with surfgate in my opinion. I cannot wait to see the wake pics. It is not my intention to hijack this thread.

Does that make sense? Or maybe I am not looking at correctly? seems to make sense to me.

I don't think you will go wrong with the Fly High bags as the draining time difference is not a lot. When draining larger surf sacs it will add up.

The difference is small but think of it like this...

You have a cooler full of water and at the end of the day you remove the plug on the bottom. The stream has a lot behind it at first but once the cooler is half full (less weight to push the water out) the stream is less and when there is not much water in the cooler it trickles out. Malibu is relying on gravity to push the water out of the back of the bag and into the top of the hard tank.

It doesn't make a huge difference but don't you want to facilitate the best flow rate possible? The W743 Fly High fittings are machined to have a larger inside diameter when compared to their other fittings but they still will not be able to flow as much water (not under pressure) as the larger Straight Line fittings would.

Fly High W743 vs. Straight Line 1" NPT x 1" Flow-Rite
IMG_8232-600x450.jpg

IMG_8231-600x450.jpg

I built a system from scratch years ago and went through a lot of calculations on it. There is an interesting chart here: http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

It shows that at low pressure/gravity fed, a 3/4" ID pipe will flow at roughly 660 gph, and 1" ID will flow at 960 gph. If gravity is the only force on it, then there is a pretty significant increase from going to the 1" assuming your ballast pump is flowing at more than 660 gph. Impeller-style pumps don't run much faster, but aerator-style do.

However, at even moderate pressure the 3/4" will flow at 1410 gph, which is more than almost any pump will flow at. So if the pump is providing a modest amount of pressure the 3/4 will flow as fast as the pump can draw, thus making the difference is size a non-issue in theory.

Thx for the compliment on the boat btw! Not trying to start anything I just want to understand whether there really is a difference for my application. No doubt a bigger port paired with a bigger hose and sufficient pump or gravity feed with no restriction will render a faster flow.

Can you show me a view of the fittings from the side that fits within the pnp hose?

For sure. This is the other side. The 1-1/8" flow rite fitting fits over this which assumes no loss through this connection and into the 1-1/8" hose.

I am stoked that Malibu has increased the size of the fitting into the hard tank and the diameter of hose. That helped increase the flow a ton in the 2012 Axis and Malibu boats.

On a 750lb. bag there probably isn't going to be a gigantic difference but the time does add up. It all comes down to how much your minutes are worth and do you have something else to occupy those minutes to keep your mind off of the ballast system. I have a two year old that wants to throw life jackets in the water to see if they all float.

fittings-e1360359226189-600x411.jpg

Came so close to getting a 22 MXZ last year but its just not any bigger than the VLX I have in the cabin. I wanted to wait for the 24 to jump on the pickle fork wagon but I feel I may be making the same decision as you and going with a LSV. It's just so hard to beat a classic. The 24 is just not worth the cost difference in my opinion.

... It all comes down to how much your minutes are worth and do you have something else to occupy those minutes to keep your mind off of the ballast system. I have a two year old that wants to throw life jackets in the water to see if they all float.

This made me LMAO... Good one, Spencer.