Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just ordered a 2013 LSV - the new Chattwake boat!

Chattwake

So I'll be back in a BU in a few months. I just finalized the order on my '13 23 LSV. As some of you know, I've had two Axis A22's in a row now. Bluntly, probably I would have ordered another A22 if I had the option of getting surfgate for '13. I loved the two trouble free seasons I had with the A22, and my whole crew appreciated the amazing wake.

I went with a solid white lsv with a white tower, standard bimini, monsoon 350, power prop, nice trailer, 3 outlet heater, heated seats, stereo pack 2, sub (I'll be ordering a huge wetsounds system later), standard non-gps cruise (I still prefer the paddle wheel - after owning numerous boats with both gps and standard cuize control systems), transom remote, lounge remote, bow ballast, plug-n-play, nice glovebox door, aqua mat, nice mirror/g3 mount, pop up nav light, underwater lights, docking lights, surfgate, power wedge, ss rubrail, and bluetooth.

I opted for the standard motor, after having ridden behind a friend's lsv with the 350 and power prop. I'm getting older, my knees are toast, and while my friends appreciated the ls3 + 4.5k in ballast in my A22, I just personally don't need that much weight anymore. I'll probably just throw 750's in the rear of the lsv, a little lead in the nose, and be done. With my altitude, I know that setup will work with the 750's close'ish to full.

I also opted to a standard bimini instead of the z5 this year. I love the z5, but simply can't afford it with the cost increase of jumping to an LSV. I had to give up some things to switch from the A22 - such as going from the LS3 to the 350, no z5 and probably staying with standard interior speakers instead of wetsounds throughout. Obviously, it's still costing me a fair amount to switch to an LSV, but I had to have surfgate.

For me, it boiled down to the fact that my wife and my 4.5 year old both love to surf. They don't wakeboard at all. I still much perfer wakeboarding over surfing, but I enjoy both. My friends are all much better riders than I am. I'm still stuck with basic inverts, grabs and spins. I can do my thing behind an LSV, and with surfgate, it will make it much easier for my wife and daughter to get their pulls in without having to dump so much weight and move people around. Also, while my wife is a hell of a boat driver, she still has trouble picking up a surfer with the boat weighed heavy and listing to one side. With the LSV/surfgate, that will no longer be a concern.

I've owned a VLX, and I have a bunch of friends with BU's, so I know what to expect with the new boat. I'm stoked to get it in (hopefully in April), and get the stereo installed (I'll probably go with four rev10's on the tower, a ws420 eq, and a wetsounds SD2 amp for the tower speakers). I know there will be times that I'll miss the A22 wake, but, again, I had to have surfgate for the family. The check I'll have to write to cover the difference will be painful, but if it means maximizing the fun my family has on the lake, it's worth it.

By the way, I wanted to give a big thanks to my local malibu dealer, Marine Outfitters, in Charleston, Tennessee, for working with me again this year to put me in a great boat. The owner, Joyce, is simply amazing. She provides the most knowledgable, responsive and reliable customer service that I've ever experienced. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a great local dealer. If anyone is in my area, and is in the market for a BU, look her up at www.marineoutfitters.com.

They also sell tons and tons of boards, bindings, ballast bags, etc., because they're always way under retail. If you're looking for anything hyperlite, ronix, slingshot, etc., hit Joyce up. The guy who bought my '12 Axis raved about how nice everyone was at the dealership, and walked out with a ton of new gear.

As an aside, I'm so happy to be getting another Boatmate Trailer. I trailer my boat everywhere, and I appreciate how nice it is to have trailer that performs flawlessly and looks amazing. I'm just super pumped to get my new rig in in a few months.

I'll post up some build pics and keep y'all posted on how things come together. 2013 is going to be a great year on the water!

• Like 1

Congrats on the new order. I love my 4 rev10s and wet sounds sub. Those are the only things I've been able to let scream (still breaking in the ls3 in my mxz24)

Chatt, congrats on your new LSV... one thing I found out yesterday for the Malibu PNP. You need to get the Ronix or Straightline 750's, they have 1" opening which drain out the bags much better than the FLY Hi's. Im getting ready to order the bags for my '13 VLX.... just something to consider, I was not aware the fittings are bigger on the Straightline and Ronix bags.

I was also a sucker for surfgate, not sure if you hada chance to demo it, but its pretty amazing.

You can get bigger fittings on the fly high bags. My '12 A22 had the high flow malibu system in it, and I ordered bags with the 1'' fittings from fly high.

Congrats on the LSV!! I need to bring mine up to chat-town from Huntsville and join you this year. We have been wanting to boat up that way for years, just didn't know where to go.

I wanted surf gate as well, but just couldn't turn down the deal I got on the 2012. Cant wait to see the new Bu!

My friends are all much better riders than I am. I'm still stuck with basic inverts, grabs and spins. I can do my thing behind an LSV, and with surfgate,

this makes me sad considering i have no inverts in my bag....I know you weren't trying to make it sounds that way but I now think I'll need thousands in counseling to look at myself in a mirror again. :) I should just give up and get a bass boat.... :rofl: Congrats on the new boat!

Ooh Chatt... after high rolLON in your previous boats, even going thru as many boats as girls go thru periods.. You know spent the BuCoo bucks and are now a Malibu owner Again!!

Congrats man. I dig the white color schemes, they are always my favorite.

Biggest benefit is now back in a Malibu you can post here mostly, which has the highest signal to noise ratio of any wakeboard forum.

Congrats! I have found your posts on here and WW quite informative, and I respect your opinion so this is great news... as I will soon take delivery on our '13 LSV!

One thing I didn't get (honestly didn't even know it was an option) was the aquamat flooring... what do you think about it? I think the standard carpet is great for the first season but then starts getting matted down and looks like hell IMO. Is the aquamat an additional cost or just different?

Edited by pkh

Congrats! I have found your posts on here and WW quite informative, and I respect your opinion so this is great news... as I will soon take delivery on our '13 LSV!

One thing I didn't get (honestly didn't even know it was an option) was the aquamat flooring... what do you think about it? I think the standard carpet is great for the first season but then starts getting matted down and looks like hell IMO. Is the aquamat an additional cost or just different?

Is the aquamat thinner? I like the warmer feel of carpet, but it's colder here :( I sold a MC with new Deckadence, kind of strange stuff, but I really like it! Stringy, but air can go through so things can dry out!

Third picture from the left:

http://marineflooring.net/photo-gallery/

Edited by skurfer

The aquamat is the equivalent of the tatami mat in the axis. It's made out of recycled rubber or something. It's more like burbar carpet. I always wanted it with my axis but never got it because my boats came with the special vandal carpet. It's a slight upgrade from carpet in terms of cost. I store my boat outside sometimes and it stays hot and muggy most of the year here in tennessee. These mats do not mildew, stain, or hold moisture like carpet. I've got two little girls, and between yogurt bites, juice boxes, strawberries, fruit snacks, etc., you end up chacing a lot of spills. Carpet is softer, but not all that much so..

• Like 1

I've had the tatami mat in the axis and absolutely loved it...I've not personally compared to the bu version as I got carpet on my '13 vtx but if the malibu version is like the axis (it relaly doesn't look the same tho) I'd be afan.

You can get bigger fittings on the fly high bags. My '12 A22 had the high flow malibu system in it, and I ordered bags with the 1'' fittings from fly high.

Is the fly hi a 1" fitting or actual 1" opening? I thought the fly hi could use a 1" fitting with a 3/4" opening?. Spencer at wakemakers recommended the straight line or ronix bags.

I just spoke to Fly High. They did product testing on their fittings with the malibu high flow system, and their fittings do not hinder flow rate. The fittings I had, which I will buy again for '13, are fly high's 1 1/8 fittings. The interior diameter of the fittings is as large as possible while still fitting inside the pnp hose. Go to the dealer and compare the sacs and fittings. Unless the ronix fittings fit around the outside of the hose - which I doubt is the case - all fittings that work with the high flow pnp hose will be the same in terms of flow rate. Also, the fittings that are on the pump side, which fit inside the ballast hose, are really the determining factor. Nothing's going to flow any faster than that fitting allows.

I just spoke to Fly High. They did product testing on their fittings with the malibu high flow system, and their fittings do not hinder flow rate. The fittings I had, which I will buy again for '13, are fly high's 1 1/8 fittings. The interior diameter of the fittings is as large as possible while still fitting inside the pnp hose. Go to the dealer and compare the sacs and fittings. Unless the ronix fittings fit around the outside of the hose - which I doubt is the case - all fittings that work with the high flow pnp hose will be the same in terms of flow rate. Also, the fittings that are on the pump side, which fit inside the ballast hose, are really the determining factor. Nothing's going to flow any faster than that fitting allows.

I don't think anyone is concerned about fill time, its gravity drain time which is teh concern is it not?

I just spoke to Fly High. They did product testing on their fittings.ith the malibu high flow system, and their fittings do not hinder flow rate. The fittings I had, which I will buy again for '13, are fly high's 1 1/8 fittings. The interior diameter of the fittings is as large as possible while still fitting inside the pnp hose. Go to the dealer and compare the sacs and fittings. Unless the ronix fittings fit around the outside of the hose - which I doubt is the case - all fittings that work with the high flow pnp hose will be the same in terms of flow rate. Also, the fittings that are on the pump side, which fit inside the ballast hose, are really the determining factor. Nothing's going to flow any faster than that fitting allows.

Good info, I was just going by what wakemakers recommended. The larger opening was more critical for draining rather than filling. Especially since the areator pumps do not pull a draft like impeller pumps. I also am going to vent the bags.

Your drain time is going to be constricted by the diameter of the hose, is it not?

Yes, hose diamater is going to make a difference. From what I can gather, the Straightline bags have a true 1" opening adapted to the 1" quick disconnect for max drain potential. Rather than going from a 3/4" opening to a 1" quick disconnect... but if you can get the Fly Hi's with a true 1" opening its a wash either way. Maybe Spencer can chime in if he is following this thread. I have used Wakemakers on a couple different boats, those guys are great, and they always seem to make good recommendations. The Straightline 750 lb bags are also $20 cheaper per each bag, not sure if they are of different quality than the Fly Hi's?