Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Trailer tire brand works best for you

chefred112

I have marathons on my current trailer & one had chunks missing from it, steel bands showing, this was from one road trip.  Discount only had the Carlisle so I am stuck with one of those.  I want to put light duty truck tires on but I have 14" rims.  Anyone recommend a better tire for this trailer?

martinarcher

I went with the Kuhmo 857's since it seemed to be the recommended tire of choice on the board.  Three years of towing a lot on them and I'm pleased.  I always run Load Rage D over C if possible for a little extra weight capacity and these allowed me to do that.  I have a hard time under building anything - even when it comes to buying trailer tires. :lol: 

On 5/22/2016 at 10:27 PM, dalt1 said:

My personal account is opposite of your accusations. Trailer always stored in garage. Always kept at proper inflation(50 LBS) and usually ran at 65 MPH highway. Carlisle and Goodyear Marathon still only last 3 to 4 years. They are Junk.

I've never run Carlisle, they always had a bad reputation around here. My last GY marathons were run for 13 years, no special storage, left them on the ground during the winter, etc. I replaced them only because they started showing dry rot cracks, never a failure. That said, they were older marathons made in the states. Newer ones from our friends in the PRC, well, those might be a bit different. I do have a set of those now going on two years old, so we'll see how they do. And not accusing anyone of anything, just my general observation over the years that trailers are generally the worst maintained part of boating. Glad you keep yours up to snuff, not many do. I find people on boating forums tend to be more into it than most and go the full mile on preparation.

10 hours ago, Falko said:

I've never run Carlisle, they always had a bad reputation around here. My last GY marathons were run for 13 years, no special storage, left them on the ground during the winter, etc. I replaced them only because they started showing dry rot cracks, never a failure. That said, they were older marathons made in the states. Newer ones from our friends in the PRC, well, those might be a bit different. I do have a set of those now going on two years old, so we'll see how they do. And not accusing anyone of anything, just my general observation over the years that trailers are generally the worst maintained part of boating. Glad you keep yours up to snuff, not many do. I find people on boating forums tend to be more into it than most and go the full mile on preparation.

Old GY Marathons were good, when made in USA. My 95 Bryant boat went 7 or 8 years on the originals till I cut 1 in a drain culvert and decided to replace all 4 as they were 3/4 worn out anyway. Since then (about 2003) I have burned through 4 or 5 sets Treated exactly the same as my 1995 model tires That would have made a decade had i not replaced them.