Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Trailer tire brand works best for you

chefred112

I was looking at the Khumo's as well based on reviews. What size did you guys run with? Currently I have 215 75/R14, but Khumos do not have that size. Sorry, not a tire guy, so I really do not know much other than the 14

Trailer tires are forgiving on size. You obviously need the correct rim size, but the width can vary a little bit as well as the sidewall ratio. And you always want to match the weight at minimum.

I'm in the same spot right now, I need to replace the tires on my trailer but not interested in gambling. I found Taskmaster brand, good overall reviews, but never heard of them. I don't know who makes them or where (most likely China - lowest bidder).

Edited by Falko

On my last trailer, but truck tires on and never blew a tire again, until the new trailer. I was debating going this route again. I people are against it, but had 7 years without a blow out going that way. Have blown 9 carlise's in the 3 years of having them! (Combined time on previous and researching right now as we're leaving wed. So I need to do this today

I use Carlisle from Discount tire and get the insurance (certificates) on them. Keep a close eye on them and catch them when belts start slipping. They swap them out for $15 each. mounted and balanced that way. I have 3 out of 4 new tires on my trailer within the last year and it has cost me $45. The 4th is showing signs of belt starting to slip so it will be replaced soon. That being said, yes the Carlisle and Goodyear are both garbage, But easy to find matching replacement when needed in 2 to 3 years.

I was looking at the Khumo's as well based on reviews. What size did you guys run with? Currently I have 215 75/R14, but Khumos do not have that size. Sorry, not a tire guy, so I really do not know much other than the 14

The 205R14 is just a bit taller and a bit narrower. I'm running those since they have the highest load rating. They say 205R14C on the sidewall, but they are load range D. The C stands for Euro-metric Commercial. They are an 82 series side wall. Weird sizing and numbering, but awesome tires.

Kuhmo 857 for me to. I owned some kind of boat my whole life. Bought my 2010 vlx in oct last year and the first thing I noticed was the tires seemed very under rated for the weight they carry. Trailer would bounce down road and tires seemed almost flat or almost going to explode. Switched them out immediately based on recommendations from this crew and couldn't be happier.tires now stand tall with no bounce down the road. Worth the extra coin to not worry about a blowout.

I searched everywhere around here for the 857s, but they are a special order. Seeing as I'm leaving today, I had to replace with another Carlisle. I even called Kumho direct as they are only about 30 mins from me, and they said order through a tire deler and 3-5 days as well. I'll order when I get back in town. You know I'll be really pissed if I blow another on this trip

I searched everywhere around here for the 857s, but they are a special order.

Yup, special order for me too. NO ONE had them in stock, came directly from Kumho. That also means....no discount on them. Pricey, but well worth it for me. Make sure to order 5 and rotate them. I rotate trailer tires every spring on my trailers.

After seeing the BFG AT go for more than 8 years on my buddies trailer I went with those. I have a 14" wheel so the options are very limited. Load range D and 110 mph speed rating. We live in the desert and he has a heavy 24'Tige. He had to replace one last year because of a sidewall puncture. We still laugh how long they last. He is going for 10 years. I went with the same tire after blowing 3 Carlise's in 2 trips. I'm not sure how old they were but I have a super PEACE of mind knowing my tires are good.

I had a set of new Carlise's on my first boat trailer. They were new when I bought the boat from an old guy. I wore those out in 2 years. I replaced the tires with the same tire and actually avoided taking the boat to the lake because I didn't want to ruin them before selling the boat. Back in 2004 I bought a custom PWC trailer. Just 2 PWC's and a storage box. Maybe 2,000 pounds. Blew a tire. I don't know what kind. I put a car tire on it. I ended up blowing the other side at the end of the season. I sold the ski's and trailer to a buddy. He still has it. Same tires still going strong.

I know a lot of you might think that because you have a trailer you need trailer tires. I have a lot of friends with big toy haulers and fifth wheels. They all run Light Truck Tires with the Michelin LTX being the most common. Tire blowout's kill people if it happens on a car or truck. I will put a passenger/light truck tire on every vehicle I own from here on out.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

After seeing the BFG AT go for more than 8 years on my buddies trailer I went with those. I have a 14" wheel so the options are very limited. Load range D and 110 mph speed rating. We live in the desert and he has a heavy 24'Tige. He had to replace one last year because of a sidewall puncture. We still laugh how long they last. He is going for 10 years. I went with the same tire after blowing 3 Carlise's in 2 trips.

I also thought about the BFG's after seeing Mark's setup, but went with something different. The BFG's are a nice option and fully tested in the AZ heat and high loads. That Tige isn't light. They have proven to be a very reliable tire. So, if the Kumho tires don't last, BFG's are going on.

205 75 x 15s are almost the same size (1/4" OD difference ) and fit well. I've now got a trip on them and seem very well made with good tread design and depth. BTW- made in Vietnam instead of China.

So based in that article, if I were to go the the 857s, which according to Kumhos website says LT AND trailer tires (stating they can be used for both, even if you lowered the maximum capacity by 10%, it would still be more capacity than 4 carlise, or any c rated trailer tire, than what I put on there now. I have yet to see a blow out on any of my trailers where the tire shop said it looked like a sidewall wall issue. All have said it looked like tread separation.

Either way, never had an issue with an LT tire on any trailer I have owned vs a trailer specific tire

I'm on my 3rd year on the Kumho 857's. They have about 8K miles on them. So far, absolutely no issues. Handles the weight better than the Carlyles and GY Marathons. We had the Marathons blow out on us after 2 years (not stored in the sun) on 2 sets. The Carlyles (OEM) lasted 3 years (no blow outs, but sidewall bulging and cracking - dramatically). I have a lot of confidence in the Kumhos at this point (tow about 350 miles each way - about 5-7 trips per year).

I am stuck because I am afraid the Kumhos will raise the trailer to much. With the tower down, it comes within 3/8 of an inch from the top of my garage. Very close. I cant have anything raise my trailer.

According to the article I posted LTs would work but can't find a 14" LT. The bfg's might work but wouldn't they look really bad on a trailer? For some reason I can't get past that.

So stuck with carlisle I guess.

And why aren't the tire manufactures doing something about this? Anyone that tows is having these problems.

Edited by Ruffdog

I have a tendency to think that many problems are user error. Trailer tires don't always seem to hold air well, not sure if it is due to corrosion on the bead area or what, but the ones on my two trailers constantly have to get aired up a few pounds a week. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of failures are due to low pressure.

Also, trailers get pivoted around a lot putting much stress on the tread to belt which could lead to premature failure. I try to always wet down my driveway when bringing the boat in as I have to tightly spin it into the drive.

Just thoughts, no factual basis.

• Like 1

I have a tendency to think that many problems are user error. Trailer tires don't always seem to hold air well, not sure if it is due to corrosion on the bead area or what, but the ones on my two trailers constantly have to get aired up a few pounds a week. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of failures are due to low pressure.

Also, trailers get pivoted around a lot putting much stress on the tread to belt which could lead to premature failure. I try to always wet down my driveway when bringing the boat in as I have to tightly spin it into the drive.

I also have to think most people are exceeding the 65 mph rating on these tires. I usually drive 70 on the interstate so I am guilty as anyone. However my tires are always inflated properly.

Our 'stock' tires lasted 2 seasons before getting bulges and having to be replaced. They were always properly inflated (checked regularly in the winter months) but all 4 formed bulges where they had sat for 7 months. Now we put the trailer axles on jack stands all winter. 2 Seasons on the 'new' tires and they still look new.

I also have to think most people are exceeding the 65 mph rating on these tires. I usually drive 70 on the interstate so I am guilty as anyone. However my tires are always inflated properly.

That is SOOOOO true. I see rigs constantly running over 65mph on the interstate. I did too with my ST tires and "got away" with it. But, now with the Kumhos being rated for 99mph, not so worried about them.

Better get some speed rated tires then, huh.

I bought the boat & trailer & it had 17s & car tires on it already. I figured I'd be converting it back to trailer tires before long. But in my 6th year now (?) and they have done really well. Their specked out at like 2200 lbs per tire. Luckily their W rated for up 168 mph too. :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1

Better get some speed rated tires then, huh.

I bought the boat & trailer & it had 17s & car tires on it already. I figured I'd be converting it back to trailer tires before long. But in my 6th year now (?) and they have done really well. Their specked out at like 2200 lbs per tire. Luckily their W rated for up 168 mph too. :Doh:

Better get a faster tow rig then, huh? :lol:

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

speaking of proper inflation, what is proper on a trailer? Some say to the limit, others say 5-8 lbs less as they heat up...

What do you guys do? I usually do 5lbs less, and check before every outing. as mentioned above, trailer tires tend to lose air on their own

• 2 years later...
On 6/6/2013 at 1:43 PM, Falko said:

My personal account is opposite of your accusations. Trailer always stored in garage. Always kept at proper inflation(50 LBS) and usually ran at 65 MPH highway. Carlisle and Goodyear Marathon still only last 3 to 4 years. They are Junk.

I have the stock 255/45 18s Nexen 3000 with an E load range rating on mine and they have been great. Yes they need to be replaced after 6 years and when I do it next year I will definately replace them with new Nexens. The price was very competitive on my wife's 20s on her Charger and they perform very well.