Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Trailer tire brand works best for you

chefred112

And how many seasons/miles do you typically get from them?

I bought my boat used about a month ago and its got Nanco tires on them..it appears that i can go through this season ok but i think i need to get a new set next year (see slight cracks as if the tread may separate). I searched and read a little about Carlise but it seems to be hit an miss, some like them and some see some blowouts... how about using a regular radial tire?

I would stay away from Carlisle. They had real issues for many years and wouldn't stand behind their product.

I've always like Goodyear Marathons, but they've shifted production to the Ch-INA company, which is not known for quality at good price. Some have been seeing increased blowouts from those as well. My Bryant came with Marathons and I ran those tires for 11 years. They finally started showing some cracks so I replaced them with some off brand load stars or something. I picked them up and had them removed immediately. The rubber on spots on the side walls were like they weren't fully vulcanized. You could peel the rubber off with your finger, but just in spots. I then asked for Marathons and installed those. But I checked the tires and they were made in US or Canada so I bought them. If they were China, I wouldn't have.

All that said, I hear great things about Maxxis. They are pricey and somewhat hard to find at tires stores.

Good luck.

Goodyear marathons I just bought 4 brand new. I just got my boat last season 2005 VRide tires were original and I pulled it from Florida to Ohio and all last year. I put over 3000 miles on those tire before having a blow out. Yes it got the fender so I purchase Goodyear again. I had a different boat with a set of Carlisle on them and they blew in less than 750 miles. Pure junk. If your tires have cracks in the sides I would replace them this season unless you don't tow very far(less than an hour). Save yourself the price of a new fender. I had to beat my fender out to get the spare on the trailer bc it bent it under in the wheel well. Goodyear gets my vote

Edited by BFWAKE75

Like Ndawg said....a zillion different answers will come up. Based on the wide variety of responses instead of any one glaring issue, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I think the most important thing is to replace them every 6 years or so, and not exceed 70mph when towing. If your tires are showing any signs of wear other than tread wear (like the cracks you mention), I'd say a blowout that will wreck your planned boating day (or weekend) is imminent.

I have Carlisle Sport ST225/75/D15 8 ply bias tires (2,450lbs ea) on my trailer that I bought 2 years ago. That was the original tire on the trailer (I think), from 1994. I have a single axle, and I trailer about 800 miles a year. No problems so far with me.

Like Ndawg said....a zillion different answers will come up. Based on the wide variety of responses instead of any one glaring issue, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I think the most important thing is to replace them every 6 years or so, and not exceed 70mph when towing. If your tires are showing any signs of wear other than tread wear (like the cracks you mention), I'd say a blowout that will wreck your planned boating day (or weekend) is imminent.

I have Carlisle Sport ST225/75/D15 8 ply bias tires (2,450lbs ea) on my trailer that I bought 2 years ago. That was the original tire on the trailer (I think), from 1994. I have a single axle, and I trailer about 800 miles a year. No problems so far with me.

Same tire here, no problem at all with ten yr old tires. Think I'm going to replace them this year. Looking at Toyo OC H/T on some new 17" rims.

Edited by CumminsBu

Stay away from Carlise. I blew 3 of the original 4 in span of 6 months where the trailer was new. Took it to the local tire shop and they said they looked like retreads.

Fast forward 10 years, didn't learn from the first mistake and the new trailer had carlise's on them, they started to literally come apart. Again no help from carlise. Pure junk

Edited by wakebrdr94

Had Carlisle on my old trailer and never had an issue even after 8 yrs.....they were a waiting time bomb I know. I know many that have had issues with both Carlisle and Goodyear Marathons. I prefer my Toyo Proxes they handle superb and I've put more miles on those in the last few years w/o any issues. Replacement cost is more had to replace two because of nails two close to the sidewall, though recently the price had fallen.

Stay away from Carlise. I blew 3 of the original 4 in span of 6 months where the trailer was new. Took it to the local tire shop and they said they looked like retreads.

Fast forward 10 years, didn't learn from the first mistake and the new trailer had carlise's on them, they started to literally come apart. Again no help from carlise. Pure junk

I had the exact same thing happen three of four. It was getting really old.

Edited by LS-One

Asking what trailer is better is like asking "where do you want to be kicked...in the right side of your groin or the left side" The point is - all options suck

Have owned Carlisle and Marathon and even had a trailer with a couple of each on it....ghetto. Have had both blow out and both last a long time.

My opinion is that I'd rather spend less on the Carlisle and replace them more often than spend more on the Goodyear and change them less often. You can't go wrong with getting a warranty on them either.

• Like 2

Funny, You can always find a good story and a bad story on what ever you buy!! I have used Tow masters on my last boat which was quite a bit lighter then my currant boat and in 13 years I changed them twice and never a blow out!! My Stock boat mate tires lasted 2 summers, and that is 2 Oregon summers so really not that much time but used it every weekend to my knowledge, 1 Blow out in 2 years, I now replaced all of them with Towmasters, We will see how that go's, Some one said if I switch to 15 inch they would last longer as in can take more load, So maybe that has something to do with it, Also I always made a big half circle when I would put it away and the tire dealer said that is really hard on them grinding them every time I store it, so now I go the long way to avoid the sharp half turn, that is wearing them out premature. So after all that I had great luck with the tow masters on the last boat and we will see on this boat!!

I will weigh in.... I run Greenball Towmasters.... One set has 10 years no issues.... Another set 3....never had a blow out... Separation or other and are 2/3 the price of goodyears

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
Had Carlisle on my old trailer and never had an issue even after 8 yrs.....they were a waiting time bomb I know. I know many that have had issues with both Carlisle and Goodyear Marathons. I prefer my Toyo Proxes they handle superb and I've put more miles on those in the last few years w/o any issues. Replacement cost is more had to replace two because of nails two close to the sidewall, though recently the price had fallen.

Interesting. I haven't heard much talk about the Toyo. Good to know for my next set if I ever have to trailer it more often. The marina is so nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have read a number of posts on RV, other boat forums on the Chinese goodyears and Carlisle tires having tread separation. My own experience with carlisle's was they began having tread separation at ~5 years and had to replace them. I had Goodyear marathons that were 12 years old and gave me zero problems. They even looked brand new but knew I was risking my luck with their age. Key note here is these were made in tyler texas before goodyear closed the plant and shipped the jobs overseas. i doubt i would have had the same experience with the Chinese ones. Switched them this weekend to khumo 857's as they make a D rated 14" tire. They have zero negative posts and folks have written very good reviews. They towed great and seem very well made.

Edited by Roster man