Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

stupid question on towing with cover

bamabonners

for those that tow with a cover on, do you use the poles under the cover while towing?

For those with evolutuion cover, does the front of the cover blow down into the bow while towing? does this stretch it out?

no poles on evo cover.

Yes the front blows down. The cover comes very very very tight (some may say "too small"), so a little stretching gets the fit "just right."

I will say that you should be careful about what you put in the bow of the boat while towing with an evo cover. We towed with a surfboard up there, fins up, and the blowing of the cover actually cause the fins to start two tiny cuts through the cover....

We've had our Evolution cover for a season now and haven't had any issues with it blowing down into the bow or coming up over the rub rail while towing and no, it hasn't "stretched out".

We've towed it through some pretty bad thunderstorms with no issues whatsoever.

Love the cover and we'll get another one on the next boat.

BTW, the Evolution doesn't have any poles.

Cheers!

My Rankin cover (predecessor to the Evolution) is almost 8 yrs old now. I've had the rear straps replaced & one small spot on the side repaired. I took the boat in on Saturday to get the bimini started & have a few things done....... new trailer guide pads, a PTM Edge mirror cover, and a D-ring sewn into the top of the Rankin.

Gonna start the year off in style. :biggrin:

I tow with the cover on all the time. The bow does suck down a bit but it's nothing to be concerned with. And no poles, ever. I can't tell you how many times I've seen poles punch thru the cover after a hard rain or some wet, heavy snow. If you have to support underneath the cover for any reason, use something that spreads the load out over a wider area, ie; PVC or an inflatable tube.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

On the newer factory Malibu covers, I tow with the poles in. I don't set the bow pole on top of the cushion, I always set the cushion to the side so that the pole is sitting on the center ballast tank. Other than that, I cinch it down real tight and tow around 70mph. I've never had any issues or problems. Not even an issue with the gel coat getting scratched which I know used to be a common complaint. My honest opinion is that the factory covers have come a long ways and are a great cover if you don't mind messing with the support poles.

• Like 1

for those that tow with a cover on, do you use the poles under the cover while towing?

For those with evolutuion cover, does the front of the cover blow down into the bow while towing? does this stretch it out?

Hey Bama!

Never any stupid questions on the forum. IMO this is what the forum is all about.

I got the new Malibu oem cover with the poles and was informed by the dealer

that towing with the poles is just fine.

My first evolution cover did have the nose cave in during towing. I would always inflate my tube and put it in the bow before long trips and it worked really well. Haven't had the opportunity to try my new boat and new cover yet.

No poles, I would think you could tear the cover in the right situation.

The cover will stretch a little, but never enough to cause an issue