Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

dealer tuneup or not

I'm thinking about having our local dealer give the bu a tuneup before spring hits. I've never had a dealer tune up but have always done it annually with the TMC list of things to do. But I'm just wondering it would be worth it or after 13 years, is there anything they would do as far as the calibrations that would help it run like new. Don't get me wrong it's running fine just want to make sure I'm maximizing and taking care of the motor. It's a monsoon.

What year?

Carb'd? Maybe they'll turn a screw or two.

Infected? nothing to tweak.

If its actually infected I would let the dealer handle any tune-up... But if its just fuel injected then spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fresh gas are what a good dealer will look at. Edited by Ndawg12
  • Like 1

It's fuel injected and I do all the above so pehaps,it would be a waste of $$. I've never had ab issue so getting a dealer tune up my just mess it up :)

Rather than pay the dealer, if all is well and you can do the rest, put the money you would otherwise spend on labor towards a timing light (if you don't already have one) and check your timing.

It depends on what you ask them to do: Items you could consider, but if running great may not be needed - compression check, leak down test, injector cleaning, fuel filters. As for calibration, they won't change it unless you specifically request something. The source for any calibration changes would be through the engine marinizer, most likely Indmar for a Malibu. Before you drop the boat off to the dealer for a tune up and expect a lot of things done you would not do, make sure you get a detailed list of what they would do so you understand what you would be paying for.

• Like 2

Do it yourself. You don't get much easier than a direct drive to work on. You can pull your injectors and have them cleaned...if you really wanted to be anal you could get yourself a flow-matched set of injectors for it. You can do the compression and leakdown checks yourself. Otherwise, throw plugs, wires, cap, rotor and filters on it then call it a day.

After 12 years with no problems the injectors is the only thing I haven't done but is the one thing I think probaby needs to be. I'm pretty anal (as everyone else on this forum). But that is also the only item I have never done myself. Is it that hard? As my wife says "Dont fix whats not broken" but I also want to keep up with good maintance. My lxi is in great condition and I just want to keep it that way.

The one thing that gums up injectors the most is little black pieces of rubber from inside the fuel hose that have eroded over the years with the changes in fuel additives that we have. If you are even thinking about having the injetors cleaned I would also run a new fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump.

I did this in my 97 when I replaced the fuel pump. It is not much more than 6ft of hose and it is pretty cheap.

To that matter - I'd even for as far as pulling the fuel pickup tube out of the tank and cleaning the screen, replaceing the filters and the hose, cleaning out the screens in the fuel pump if applicable and then...send your injectors off to be cleaned!

If Im going to do it I might as well go all the way. Anything else I need to do to the

fuel system. Any forum post on this topic? Who typcially will clean injectors?

Isn't engine alignment something that should be checked too? Although, I have never had mine checked......

Yes but doubtful that's on most dealers' standard tuneup. Pretty easy to do at home.