Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Scratch on polished tower.

I was in the garage today and noticed a small scratch/gouge on the tower. I've got no idea how it came to be but now I've gotta fix it. Anyone have any tips to fix a polished tower? Buffing? It looks deep enough that it might not work. I'm totally in the dark. Dontknow.gif TIA.

Try something like Simichrome or Denova Shine - that's what I use on my motorcycle's polished wheels.

Just don't use it if something polished has a clearcoat on it (doubt the towers do)

I bet you'll have to tackle it like a gel coat scratch. Start with a polish and see if it will come out (mother's, etc...). If that doesn't work you'll have to get an abrasive (swirl mark remover, compound, etc...). If that doesn't get it, a scotchbrite or steel wool pad might be your next step. After you find an abrasive that works, work back up through all the finer abrasives until you get up to a polish.

For example, if it required using a scotchbrite to remove the scratch but now you've got lots of fine scotchbrite scratches, use a medium grit running compound to remove the scotchbrite scratches. Then, use a swirl mark remover to remove the compound scratches. Then use a polish to remove the swirl mark remover scratches.

If that doesn't work, buy a sticker and slap it on there... Mad.gif

duct tape

If it is a deep one I'd use 2000 grit sand paper (3m) and wet sand it out. Then backout to a polish. When ever you wet sand ANYTHING always keep the paper wet and clean of the material you are taking off as it will leave more scratches in or around the area you are working to repair.

duct tape

If it is a deep one I'd use 2000 grit sand paper (3m) and wet sand it out. Then backout to a polish. When ever you wet sand ANYTHING always keep the paper wet and clean of the material you are taking off as it will leave more scratches in or around the area you are working to repair.

2000 grit and wet sand it with WD-40 will get a shallow scratch out. This method also works well on SS rubrails. As mentioned above, buff to a polish after the wetsanding.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater