Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Seat modification, How high should I go?

Wakesetter67

I know there have been a few who raised there seat, I have a 2010 VLX and it looks simple to do, What are others doing for height. I think 4 inches would work for me, Just don't want it to look odd, I'm not very tall, 5.5 so I'm sure that is a deciding factor, I like the idea of building a box out of Aluminum, and adding a hinged door on it with a lock for Wallets etc..

I raised my 11 seat 2", I will be doing the same on my 13. A very easy and inexpensive way is to 2"wide x 3/2"high nylon body lift spacers. They are used on off road vehicles. Im on my cell right now and can't remember what company sells them individualy. You need 4 of them with longer bolts. You simply raise the seat base off the metal base. Its pretty easy to do. If you went 3" it would not look wierd and I think you would notice a huge difference. I think 4" would be too much lift. Total cost of this project is about $30 with body lift spacers. I will post up some pics of how I did it when I have accesz to my pc. Also will post a link of company who sells the body lift spacers.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

Here is a picture of how I did it.... I could not find the spacers sold individually at the time so I used rubber spacers. I will definitely use the nylon spacers on my 2013.... the rubber spacers have been fine, but the nylon spacers are much better.

VLX_SEAT1_REDUCED_zps53c24269.jpg

Its very unnoticeable when sitting in the boat....

VLX_SEAT2_REDUCED_zpsc7944d10.jpg

Here is the link for Zone Off Road who sells the 2 or 3" spacers for about $3 each. Make sure and get the 2" wide, not the 3" wide. If you have any more questions let me know....

http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc?ki=91

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

Here is a picture of how I did it.... I could not find the spacers sold individually at the time so I used rubber spacers. I will definitely use the nylon spacers on my 2013.... the rubber spacers have been fine, but the nylon spacers are much better.

VLX_SEAT1_REDUCED_zps53c24269.jpg

Its very unnoticeable when sitting in the boat....

VLX_SEAT2_REDUCED_zpsc7944d10.jpg

Here is the link for Zone Off Road who sells the 2 or 3" spacers for about $3 each. Make sure and get the 2" wide, not the 3" wide. If you have any more questions let me know....

http://zoneoffroad.com/product-acc?ki=91

Wow that would work perfect, I might Get the 3 inch ones and also some 2 inch cut them and try it both ways, some much easier to adjust, My buddy works in a equipment machine shop so he wants to build something , But this would be quick and cheep!! If 4 inches works out I might even add a plate on the bottom where the seat adjustment rails are and then add the 3 inch body spacers, I made a make shift booster and I really liked 4 inches high, but just did not want it to look odd.

Edited by Wakesetter67

I'm glad to hear somebody else has done this. I did mine a few years ago. But I went the cheap way out with using 2x4's as the spacers. Then a little bit of paint to match the color of the base and have had no problems with it.

I'm glad to hear somebody else has done this. I did mine a few years ago. But I went the cheap way out with using 2x4's as the spacers. Then a little bit of paint to match the color of the base and have had no problems with it.

So did you raise it up 2 Inches??

I had a 4" lift with pipe nipples, it was the perfect height but wanted a cleaner, more oem look. I welded 2 pieces of 2" angle together and some flat bar for the front and back, sanded, primed and painted. Looks pretty good but can't install it until I get the sub box done though.

On my 07 I went 4 1/2" and will go another 11/2" before this summer.

The wife keeps complaining about seeing over the bow while surfing :dontknow:

I used 1x1 Trex deck. Created two boxes and laged to the floor. Then used some stainless steel nuts under the top box and bolted the seat to that. Works great and the grey Trex matched the carpet.

Edited by sprintdriver47

The first time around 2" wasn't enough.

IMG_0494.jpg

Next went 6" perfect. Ride with the booster seat down wake boarding ride with it up surfing and at night riding because of the tinted windows.

IMG_0592_zps8dd99f67.jpg

This may help

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32483-bolster-seat-options/page-3

• Like 1

So at 6" higher than stock , are you still under the windshield when the bolster is down? Do you have a picture of what the seat looks like raised 6"? Might look awkwardly high.

• Like 1

So at 6" higher than stock , are you still under the windshield when the bolster is down? Do you have a picture of what the seat looks like raised 6"? Might look awkwardly high.

Look at the link I posted #20 by TallRed Rider he has some pic. If you need one a little further away let me know and I will take the cover off the boat. Their is one posted before that it isn't black with the Malibu ingrained in it. It may would look a little awkward but to tell you the truth mine looks as stock as you can get. For the $100 it was a great buy.

O and Y are you picking on the short guy (5.8') yes I am looking under the windshield but I do put a little weight in my boat (2,000 lb) so the front is a little high. :cheers:

Check out the other topic I posted a above someone had posted a link you could buy them. Need more help just let me know I will be at my computer later and can be more help.

Raised 3" with Aluminum Channel.

I'm 6-1 can see thru windshield with booster down. Booster up with added square seat floatation cushion can see over windshield.

Have Sport Seating did both sides for around $65 total. Ordered "Chop Cut" on all pieces. Took chop cut ends to a spinning wire brush wheel on bench grinder.

post-7907-0-09538200-1360292954_thumb.jp

Think this is the link to Aluminum Channel used:

http://www.discountsteel.com/items/6061_Aluminum_American_Standard_Channel.cfm?item_id=128&size_no=2&pieceLength=cut&len_ft=0&len_in=0&len_fraction=0&itemComments=&qty=1

• Like 1

I'm 6-1 can see thru windshield with booster down. Booster up with added square seat floatation cushion can see over windshield.

Have Sport Seating did both sides for around $65 total. Ordered "Chop Cut" on all pieces. Took chop cut ends to a spinning wire brush wheel on bench grinder.

attachicon.gifSeat.JPG

http://www.discountsteel.com/items/6061_Aluminum_American_Standard_Channel.cfm?item_id=128&size_no=2&pieceLength=cut&len_ft=0&len_in=0&len_fraction=0&itemComments=&qty=1

I will be going 4 inches being only 5.5 But that looks factory!! Nice job, Mine is a little different as it's a 2010 but same concept!!

Check out the other topic I posted a above someone had posted a link you could buy them. Need more help just let me know I will be at my computer later and can be more help.

Yeah, I wanted to get the black 6" one.

attachicon.gifSeat.JPG

I like the material source you found. Do you know how long of pieces you used? I will likely do 4" lift, but the length should be the same.