Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

key fob in way of stereo remote

wakechick3

I have one of those floaty key fobs on my ignition key and it dangles right in front of the volume of the stereo remote control....I want to have something that will make the key float (JIC).

Has anyone done anything clever to get the floaty fob out of the way??? :unsure:

I have one of those floaty key fobs on my ignition key and it dangles right in front of the volume of the stereo remote control....I want to have something that will make the key float (JIC).

Has anyone done anything clever to get the floaty fob out of the way??? :unsure:

Longer line so the floaty guy hangs below line of sight to the radio. Simple. Engineers: you gotta

love 'em.

I moved my remote on the other side for that reason and so that I could get to it easier while anchored or docked.

Being right handed, i like it on the right, besides we have the 'loose' RC for the cabin area. I think i may experiment with those sunglass floaty ma-bobs.

I thought about moving the remote to the left side but I did not want to sacrafice the knee room on entry/exit of the driver's seat. I moved the fob to the other side of the keys (so it hung on the right hand side) until I figure out something better.

Pat

You could always get yourself one of those keyless starting pads like the Nautanks have. Biggrin.gif

awwwwhhhh.....now there's an idea??? Yes.gif (i love the smileys!) Is there a particular website that has items like that, i was also thinking about some chrome exhausts too, but dont know where to find them?

hmm, but would the switch have any effect of the engine prime you get from the first click to the right? still interesting.

You could always get yourself one of those keyless starting pads like the Nautanks have. Biggrin.gif

awwwwhhhh.....now there's an idea??? Yes.gif (i love the smileys!) Is there a particular website that has items like that, i was also thinking about some chrome exhausts too, but dont know where to find them?

hmm, but would the switch have any effect of the engine prime you get from the first click to the right? still interesting.

I think Wakegirl was kidding more than anything... (I hope), cause even though I'm not saying it's better, it's got to be more expensive.

ROFL.gif

On a serious note, I belive they keypad is linked to the computer on the boat. I don't think it's something you could just add to another boat. Although keypads are becoming more popular in cars I wouldn't be surprised to see something available on the aftermarket. I'll look around a bit for you.

I think Wakegirl was kidding more than anything... (I hope), cause even though I'm not saying it's better, it's got to be more expensive.

ROFL.gif

On a serious note, I belive they keypad is linked to the computer on the boat. I don't think it's something you could just add to another boat. Although keypads are becoming more popular in cars I wouldn't be surprised to see something available on the aftermarket. I'll look around a bit for you.

I'm quite sure that it is more expensive. :lol: But there is one made that would work on our boats, I just can't think of where it's available at the moment. IIRC it was just over $100 & it was a pretty easy install (seems like someone on MBO back in the day installed one). I'll dig around later for it if I have time.

Just leave your key in the switch and you won't need the floaty. Is there a high rate for drive off boat thefts in Austin? Do you leave the boat unattended on the water?

My key has been out of the ignition one time in three years, and that was when I had to go under the boat to cut away a tow rope and I didn't want even the remote chance of someone spinning the prop while I was cutting.

My key has been out of the ignition one time in three years, and that was when I had to go under the boat to cut away a tow rope and I didn't want even the remote chance of someone spinning the prop while I was cutting.

I think that's the only time mine has ever been out. In that case, the key is put in the back ski locker - I have this phobia when I'm under the boat holding on to the prop.

I wouldn't want a push button start...sounds a little dangerous to me! What if someone accidently bumped into it?

Um, then the motor would start.

Unless they fell into the dash, managed to say "in contact" with the start button long enough for the motor to start, then while getting up fall again into the throttle in such a way that allowed the safety pull/then push thingy to be disengauged, only then would it start to be a problem. Unless the boat was pointed at shore, a big rock, another boat or someone was physically under the boat "checking the prop" would it really become a problem.

Remember the boats can't start while in gear and they can't be put into gear without some effort (unless you the old style shifter and the safety is worn.)