Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Sliding CS Bimini

Cory

I've heard that the back of the rails of the new sliding CS bimini sticks up when the tower is folded. Do these rails become the highest point on the tower? Are they higher than folded in board racks? Can the sliding mechanism be loosened when the tower is folded down to allow the bimini to drop and gain clearance for those where garage clearance is an issue?

Check out this video link showing operation of the new sliding CS bimini.

http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=58615470&msgid=849029&act=Q4PY&c=333106&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fcommercialsewing.com%2Fvids%2Fg3slider.wmv

Thanks.

I still prefer the Great Lakes bimini, with fixed quick releases.

Where can I see a picture/video of the Great Lake bimini in the open position and stowed position? I've got a short window of making up my mind on this. Thanks.

Commercial Sewing is indeed coming out with a slide off bracket (similar to how the G3 spinner racks slide off) this spring.

I was noticing in some pictures of boats that have the new sliding CS bimini and the G3 tower mirror that the bimini cannot slide all the way back when stowed due to the tower mirror arm. Has anyone seen this setup in person? What are you thoughts? If you can't slide it all the way back when stowed, is it secure enough not to rattle all the time?

I still haven't found any pictures of the Great Lakes bimini in the stowed and open position. Does anyone have these?

After talking with both Commercial Sewing and Great Lakes about their products (both companies were very nice and very helpful), I'm leaning towards the Great Lakes bimini. I believe the CS is faster to convert between open and stowed, and the slide off mount coming this spring will ease the clearance issue when backing the boat into my garage, but I don't like how the G3 tower mirror arm interferes with the CS bimini when stowed and booted. I also prefer sunbrella material (Great Lakes) versus the material Commercial Sewing uses. I like the look of the Great Lakes bimini when booted & stowed over the CS bimini and it pops off without need of an allen wrench (even the updated slide off mount for the CS bimini will require a tool to remove). Finally (and importantly for me), the Great Lakes design is lower profile when stowed and the tower is folded down. I don't think I will even have to remove it to back into my garages. I will reiterate that both companies seemed passionate about their product and very customer friendly when you call them.

Just my 2 cents. SmoothWaterMan, I think I agree with you on this one.

Edited by Cory

I'm curious... There is another thread that discusses how to modify your bimini (apparely you drill out some hole) to make it easier to deploy & stow. Is that thread talking about the former CS Bimini or the current Great Lakes Bimini?

for a complete idiot like myself could someone please tell me which bimini the 2012s have versus the 2013s? The names of these make it hard to determine....

thanks

Bimini's, like mooring covers, are all factors of what the dealer orders. As an option, the dealer can order either Commercial Sewing or Great Lakes from the factory, or from the company, or get their own from another vendor. Trailers are the same way. As a purchaser you have to ask what brand they have on that particular boat, or if you are ordering a boat, what brand they are ordering for you. There are differences, and like color, everyone has their own preferences.

Peter :)

could finally see the video, that looks pretty sturdy, but looks more difficult than mine to put up,

This should make it easier to see

I ordered this bimini... first I've seen about the mirror being an issue. I hope that's not the case! I got this one because I didn't like the two poles you had to locate and install each time with the previous gen CS covers.

for a complete idiot like myself could someone please tell me which bimini the 2012s have versus the 2013s? The names of these make it hard to determine....

thanks

In 2011, the CS bimini frame was no longer adjustable. So, when you unfolded the frame and went to put the pin in that connected the frame to the legs, the pin didn't line up. Some of us had to drill out the hole so the pin could go int. In 2012, this was changed. The frame now has a hinge in it like your elbow does. This allowed for the pin to line up much better. Both of the CS biminis I have had were sunbrella like material.

Now, CS also offers a sliding bimini.

Great Lakes was/is basically the same design, but seemed to have better fit (I have never seen one in person). Great Lakes now offers a bimini that looks like the front has been chopped off.

Where the differences really become clear to me are in the covers, but this is a topic for another thread. I have had both CS and Great Lakes covers. I have become an expert on covers... LMAO!

Edited by bamabonners

I ordered this bimini... first I've seen about the mirror being an issue. I hope that's not the case! I got this one because I didn't like the two poles you had to locate and install each time with the previous gen CS covers.

The CS sliding bimini still works with the tower mirror, you just can't slide it all the way back when stowed and booted unless you remove the tower mirror.