Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you offer for this boat?

Joeprunc

I've been casually looking for a new boat. I really want a 2004-2006 Response LXI, but found this as a project boat...In my eyes this guy is asking a bit much for the condition of this boat. What would you offer him?

(Oh and I don't use a trailer more than once a year)

From Craigslist:

1999 MALIBU RESPONSE LX 14,000 OBO make an offer might just take it .. - $14000 HEY IM SELLING MY 1999 MALIBU RESPONSE LX this boat runs great selling it cause we are selling aware car that tows the boat other than that i would keep it butt know way to take it out to the water...

it runs perfect starts right up batteries r still good the carpet is durty as shown in photos has about 2 spot of the leather has a little cut don't have time to repair it

ASKING 14,000 OBO SHOOT ME AN OFFER MIGHT JUST TAKE IT THANKS >> ANDREY>>.. AT..

IMG_1233_zps54ec7512.jpg

IMG_1234_zps93d00900.jpg

IMG_1235_zpscf5d1f75.jpg

IMG_1236_zps83b55395.jpg

IMG_1240_zps00eaf2ae.jpg

IMG_1239_zpsb4e0c3c7.jpg

IMG_1238_zpsc509c30e.jpg

IMG_1237_zps7be635d9.jpg

IMG_1231_zps9a1fb809.jpg

IMG_1230_zpsd3236a19.jpg

13k tops. dont be afraid to let him know that it wasn't taken care of very well even if he stats complaining. the pictures don't lie

Out of curiousity, what are the 2 digital boxes for? 1 is right on top of the wheel and one is off to the right. I assume the one on the right is perfect pass as a friends boat has ther pp off to the right on their response as well. I think this would be a great project boat, great hull too.

Is the gauge right on the wheel stereo control?

Edited by jaciche

I was thinking of looking at it and maybe offering $10K max, it looks like it has been really really neglected...& I don't want to take a loan out for a project boat. Nada is $10-12 (I know it also has a trailer, but it looks trashed!

The nice thing is with the swing tongue and removable swim platform it will easily fit in my garage, so I can spend my time cleaning and restoring. Looks like a lot of mold on the carpets, I'd hate to see what the bilge looks like.

I'm assuming that's the Monsoon EFI motor right? It has a wedge (I don't see a gate in the swim deck, so it must be an auto wedge), looks like a hot shower knob, I bet the heater shot. I have a 3 Event PP on my boat, so I would probably just upgrade this one.

I was thinking of looking at it and maybe offering $10K max, it looks like it has been really really neglected...& I don't want to take a loan out for a project boat. Nada is $10-12 (I know it also has a trailer, but it looks trashed!

The nice thing is with the swing tongue and removable swim platform it will easily fit in my garage, so I can spend my time cleaning and restoring. Looks like a lot of mold on the carpets, I'd hate to see what the bilge looks like.

I'm assuming that's the Monsoon EFI motor right? It has a wedge (I don't see a gate in the swim deck, so it must be an auto wedge), looks like a hot shower knob, I bet the heater shot. I have a 3 Event PP on my boat, so I would probably just upgrade this one.

Oh i didnt know it was worth that low. Disregard my offering quote. I didnt look at the upholstry before, but it looks pretty bad. Correct me if i'm wrong but malibu didn't have auto(floating) wedges til the mid '00's. This would be a sweet project if you can get it for the right price.

Yes that's the Monsoon w/ EFI. Great boat but needs TLC no question 10-12 k seems like a good price and still allow for repairs.

you'd think if someone wanted to sell it that bad that they would have spent a few hours cleanin it up to make it more desirable to look at...

• Like 2

you'd think if someone wanted to sell it that bad that they would have spent a few hours cleanin it up to make it more desirable to look at...

Look at how the seller posted his ad...I'm not surprised at all that the boat is neglected.

Personally, 8k tops. I guarantee this boat has other problems that you can't see.

• Like 1

My vote: ain't worth 8k. That interior is pretty much toast. I bought a 1998 (same hull, different deck) 2 years ago for 8500 with an interior in MUCH better condition than that (and fewer hours). That boat has spent a significant amount of time uncovered and in the elements given the discoloration of the wheel and dash. I'm always a sucker for a project but given the expenses associated with that boat that aren't as simple as elbow grease, 8k would be my cap.

• Like 2

my first boat looked something like that. I'll see if I can find some pictures and post them...

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't. It looked like a pretty good deal. Turned out there was WAY more wrong with it than expected. It was a good boat. It floated. Everything but the motor was more money out of my pocket. I wouldn't offer this guy much at all. I am sure you have a ton of work ahead of you. Things you won't know about till after you have it for a bit.

• Like 1

my first boat looked something like that. I'll see if I can find some pictures and post them...

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't. It looked like a pretty good deal. Turned out there was WAY more wrong with it than expected. It was a good boat. It floated. Everything but the motor was more money out of my pocket. I wouldn't offer this guy much at all. I am sure you have a ton of work ahead of you. Things you won't know about till after you have it for a bit.

Was it an inboard?

Was it an inboard?

Yeah. It was an early 80's Ski Supreme. The owner before was definitely lazy and did not take very good care of the boat. I got the boat crazy cheap. $2000. I put 5000 or so into it myself. It was a decent boat afterward; however, for that cash I could have bought a better boat and not had the headaches.

Theres is two sides to this story as well.

My first boat had frogs living in it. It was terrible!! A bunch of water in the gas, replace the fuel filters and a few hours of cleaning and it worked perfect! Took another couple months to get all the frogs out though. Funny we would be enjoying a day on the water a out of nowhere a frog would be hopping around.

Anyway I sold the boat the next year for 2K more than I paid. I wasn't lucky, I was just careful.

That's a shame. If it couldn't even clean it up a bit to sell it makes you wonder the condition of the motor. Hmm, I bet he winterized everything properly :whistle:

Guess he needs to spend his time taking the Xmas lights down. .....and what's with the floor jack in the bilge?

If you test drove it and it ran good and you were looking for something on the cheaper side to get you on the water, maybe an offer of 8-9K. I have a feeling, like others who have commented, that there is more trashed about this boat than what you can see in the pictures.

I already have a great boat, but would love to be able to upgrade to something with an open bow,a rear ski locker, and a fuel injected motor. This boat being a project boat I could probably sell mine for not much less than purchasing this one....but who knows what else is wrong with it. Its good to hear from people who have had project boats and most experiences were not worth the time.

It looks like he pulled his add off CL, maybe he sold it.

I saw the Xmas lights too, I bet his neighbors love that.

I guess I'll stick with the Tige for a few more years till I can get the boat of my dream.

I wouldn't say project boats are not worth the time, you just have to be able to buy it at the right price. I bought a legendary project boat well chronicled on here, a 2007 247 repo off ebay for 26k. We encountered plenty of issues but it was all in good fun. Had I invested 40 for the same, it would have been harder to handle the setbacks. If you have the time and inclination, project boats are great, you just have to start with the right slate for the right price.

I wouldn't say project boats are not worth the time, you just have to be able to buy it at the right price. I bought a legendary project boat well chronicled on here, a 2007 247 repo off ebay for 26k. We encountered plenty of issues but it was all in good fun. Had I invested 40 for the same, it would have been harder to handle the setbacks. If you have the time and inclination, project boats are great, you just have to start with the right slate for the right price.

I agree. Expectations have to be right. For instance, the reason I said I wouldn't is because I wanted to use the boat. As a project boat there was a lot of work to be done. I would have rather been skiing behind it without a worry as to whether it would give me a weekend of fun or not. I didn't get this out of that boat. It was a fun project. I learned a lot. I didn't ski as much as I would have liked because the boat would get ripped apart for a few weekends, or because something I didn't know or think about broke.

i guess my point is as long as you are buying a project boat for the fun of putting it together, and you don't mind not using it till you know it is "complete" go for it. If you are going to try to use your "fixer upper" the work won't be fun. It will be taking time away from time on the water. The difference in outlook was all the world to me. This is the reason I made the statement I wouldn't do it again. I wanted to play on the water. Not work on a boat.

...Hindsight...