Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Fully Loaded" Malibu

Nitrousbird

Dont tick Nitrous off too much...I was packing up a CC SAN bird decal and some of their fake teak for him to check out bc I know how fond he is of them...if he likes it maybe he'll install them on his boat.

OH GIVE ME A f****** BREAK. You have stated how antiquated, outdated and outmoded it is several times on these forums. Fact is that that is your way of saying the engine sucks for what it is and how your larger engines are much better in every way blah blah blah.

Everyone else is weighing in on how fully loaded means this or that but you essentially are just using this larger topic to trash the Monsoon and laud appeal on your choice of power plants.

Think what you want, that's not why I started it. FYI, an LS1 is a smaller motor than a Monsoon. :) Again, you want to make claims to things I've never said or thought. The GEN-I SBC doesn't suck "for what it is." It is simply a motor that hasn't been updated in a long time, and there are pedestrian GM crate motors that sell for similar money that are more efficient, just as reliable, and put out more power = that's why those motors should be the standard now. These aren't entry level boats.

Nothing out there has more aftermarket support than the GEN-I SBC, nor is anything more common for a mechanic to work on. They make good power and can make better with the extreme aftermarket support. That has never been argued...what has been is the motor's time has past and it is time to look into the present.

Think what you want, that's not why I started it. FYI, an LS1 is a smaller motor than a Monsoon. :) Again, you want to make claims to things I've never said or thought. The GEN-I SBC doesn't suck "for what it is." It is simply a motor that hasn't been updated in a long time, and there are pedestrian GM crate motors that sell for similar money that are more efficient, just as reliable, and put out more power = that's why those motors should be the standard now. These aren't entry level boats.

Nothing out there has more aftermarket support than the GEN-I SBC, nor is anything more common for a mechanic to work on. They make good power and can make better with the extreme aftermarket support. That has never been argued...what has been is the motor's time has past and it is time to look into the present.

Well you just proved my point; that this thread was about engine differences and NOT other options that classify a boat as "fully loaded". :whistle:

So what motor should be standard now?

The LS1 is a more advanced engine than the Monsoon for sure, but has a weaker holeshot, and the 6.0 is basically even with the Monsoon on holeshot. Perhaps you get a tiny bit more effieicncy and a few more top end, but that is not what these boats are about. They are supposed to be heavy tow boats that makes big wakes and pull up riders quickly.

I am in favor of the LSA being the standard engine at no additional cost. :)

If I called on a Malibu ad that stated fully loaded and it had a monsoon and no shower or heater but most other stuff I would not feel like I was mislead. We are not dealing with profesional admen.

As I stated before, if I called on a boat listed without the hours and the hours turned out to be 2,500, then I'm pissed. Just list the hours and save people some time.

Andrew, why does this motor talk offend you so much? Who cares if your boat isn't fully loaded if you are happy with it ;) I don't know the OP, but if he's shopping for a used boat with a better (or bigger?) motor there must be something wrong with his...

...and I thought "fully loaded" meant the ballast tanks were full... :innocent:

Wrong!!!!!

"Fully Loaded" is when your 1 year old son gets into some Chinese food and leaves you a deposit in his diaper! :baby:

Andrew, why does this motor talk offend you so much? Who cares if your boat isn't fully loaded if you are happy with it ;) I don't know the OP, but if he's shopping for a used boat with a better (or bigger?) motor there must be something wrong with his...

Some take it personal. I understand it, when you buy a new boat and someone "pees in your cheerios" because you have a monsoon 350, it sucks!

The only time you should "pee in someones cheerios" is when they put their boat name on the boat, but that's a different thread. :thumbup:

The LS1 is a more advanced engine than the Monsoon for sure, but has a weaker holeshot, and the 6.0 is basically even with the Monsoon on holeshot. Perhaps you get a tiny bit more effieicncy and a few more top end, but that is not what these boats are about. They are supposed to be heavy tow boats that makes big wakes and pull up riders quickly.

Where do you get this hole shot issue with the LS1? Mine on the stock Acme 381 (which isn't exactly a properly matched prop for this boat, but the standard regardless of motors) didn't have any hole shot issues unless it was improperly weighted (way too much in the rear and little up front)...even then it would still get going but would take longer than I'd like. Normally for boarding or surfing we never go WOT to take off as it pulls too hard.

I don't know the OP, but if he's shopping for a used boat with a better (or bigger?) motor there must be something wrong with his...

I'm not shopping for a boat - perfectly happy with ours (am shopping for more mods, but that's a different animal). Am starting to do a bit of shopping for a friend looking to fill his new boat slip.

Where do you get this hole shot issue with the LS1? Mine on the stock Acme 381 (which isn't exactly a properly matched prop for this boat, but the standard regardless of motors) didn't have any hole shot issues unless it was improperly weighted (way too much in the rear and little up front)...even then it would still get going but would take longer than I'd like. Normally for boarding or surfing we never go WOT to take off as it pulls too hard.

I'm not shopping for a boat - perfectly happy with ours (am shopping for more mods, but that's a different animal). Am starting to do a bit of shopping for a friend looking to fill his new boat slip.

My dealer had a LS1 is his response. Is had less hole shot than my monsoon equipped Response. Both had same prop. Everyone in our group confirmed it. I did not say it had a bad hole shot. Just not a good as the 5.7 monsoon. It did have a 4 mph better top end.

Perhaps his boat had something wrong with it. Needless to say, I was expecting way more performance, especially when paying a big $ premium. Same issue with the 6.0.

All of my experience is based off of driving these boats. I am lucky to be friends with dealer.

Edited by Tims

So regarding the motor argument, my last boat had the 350 monsoon which I loved, but I would miss the power of the new boat's 8.1L now that I've had both. I will say the gas issue makes for a strong case to keep the monsoon. My gas bill seems to be about double :shocked:

So regarding the motor argument, my last boat had the 350 monsoon which I loved, but I would miss the power of the new boat's 8.1L now that I've had both. I will say the gas issue makes for a strong case to keep the monsoon. My gas bill seems to be about double :shocked:

I agree with 8.1. It is a beast! Wish they never got rid of it.

I don't understand a few things:

A). Why some people are so bitter at nitrousbird for venting about sales ads. I agree with him, if it isn't loaded, it isn't loaded.

B). How did this turn into an engine argument.

C). Why are we arguing over the monsoon vs the 6.0? Even the factory will agree that the monsoon is a great engine and that the 6.0 is just meant to be an alternative engine with a newer design.

Chart plotters are an option on bu's???

Yes, a very expensive option. Just got an estimate to add the factory one to my boat. Close to 2 grand....not going to happen.

Edited by bamabonners

What are chart plotters?

Nav like a garmin loaded with lake maps that you can plot your route and then follow it. I use an iPad app to get around Lake Ouachita that does basically the same thing.

Edited by Bozboat

Meh everyone is missing the point. Nitrous brings up his engine diatribe once every few months in a different form. Its essentially the same topic wrapped in a different package and sold to everyone as a NEW topic.

I really dont mind whether my boat is fully loaded with one engine or another, its just the same tired argument about this engine or that is better, that Im sick of.

Meh everyone is missing the point. Nitrous brings up his engine diatribe once every few months in a different form. Its essentially the same topic wrapped in a different package and sold to everyone as a NEW topic.

I really dont mind whether my boat is fully loaded with one engine or another, its just the same tired argument about this engine or that is better, that Im sick of.

Wow, I have a stalker.

In case anyone didn't know, January is National Stalking Awareness month: http://stalkingawarenessmonth.org/about

1 in 4 women and 1 in 13 men will be a stalked at one point in their life. I feel so part of an exclusive group now.

Wow, I have a stalker.

In case anyone didn't know, January is National Stalking Awareness month: http://stalkingawarenessmonth.org/about

1 in 4 women and 1 in 13 men will be a stalked at one point in their life. I feel so part of an exclusive group now.

Now you are having to make a personal attack b/c you can't defend your point anymore. Your done!

What a week attempt!!!!!!

In regards to a car/truck fully loaded to me means EVERYTHING! Sunroof, top of the line stereo, leather, heated seats, sport package, etc. All options.

I usually do not include the engine in this category. For example a fully loaded Ford pickup could have the Diesel, the V8 or the ecoboost V6.

I think this would go for a boat as well.

If someone says fully loaded boat I DEFINITELY expect the following: Perfect Pass, Shower, Heater, top of the line stereo, basically all the options. I do not expect the engine to be the largest though.

Agreed. I believe our local dealer will state fully loaded if it has every option except motor upgrade as typically most boats do not have a motor upgrade.

This form is funny, kinda reminds me of some of the stereo wars that happened a year back. I think its time we all head to the pub and grab a beer and argue over which girl is hotter instead of which motor is better.

Edited by old skool malibu

Now you are having to make a personal attack b/c you can't defend your point anymore. Your done!

What a week attempt!!!!!!

I made my statement, how many other ways do you want me to spin it?

- There is nothing wrong with the Monsoon other than it is outdated now and shouldn't be put sold into high-end new boats. They are sold because they still work and boat makers can get away with it and pad their profits with motor upgrades that should be standard. They all do it and Indmar I am sure is also padding in some of those profits.

- I didn't make this thread about motors but people like yourself are butt hurt and want it to be about that.

- I have not attempted this for a week.

I made my statement, how many other ways do you want me to spin it?

- There is nothing wrong with the Monsoon other than it is outdated now and shouldn't be put sold into high-end new boats. They are sold because they still work and boat makers can get away with it and pad their profits with motor upgrades that should be standard. They all do it and Indmar I am sure is also padding in some of those profits.

- I didn't make this thread about motors but people like yourself are butt hurt and want it to be about that.

- I have not attempted this for a week.

Flattered that you consider me a fan but Im in Afghanistan right now tough guy and I used my 20 min in the MWR to sift through half of your relatively meaningless posts (you have had a few relevant ones) to find the good stuff mostly posted by people on here that dont disparage others choices in engines.

I think the fact that you havent attempted this for a week says it all. Maybe you should go for a record 2 weeks next time. :thumbup:

I look at it like buying a new Mustang. You have 4-5 options on what type of mustang you want to buy. I can buy a Standard V6 "fully loaded", I can buy a GT "fully loaded", I can buy a GT500 "fully loaded".......

So.......

I look at buying a Malibu the same way. there are approx. 5 different engine options (at least in 2012 there were). Therefore you can buy each one of those "fully loaded" with options.

Case Closed :rockon:

But again remember, "fully loaded" doesn't mean you can put the name of your boat on your boat! Sorry for the Hi jack.

Buy the way, Thank you for serving our country!!!! :usa:

Edited by Rmack