Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 lsv or 24 mxz?

Ottomatic

As many of you know I am considering upgrading my 11 lsv for a new boat!! I have looked at both boats and the new 24 mxz is awesome to say the least but my question is how is the surf wake comparable to the 23?? There has been some talk that the mxz in the 22 has had some problems with the surf wake and just want to know if that carries over to the 24?? We primarily surf so tell me your thoughts??

Spoke with the owner of my dealership about the differences between these 2 boats the other day. Regarding surf wakes, he indicated to me that the 24'7 with surfgate had the best surfwake of any Malibu model. Esp. When it comes to size. Mr. Obvious here but...I would test drive both.

Debates about the best surf wake seem endless which is probably bc it's so subjective. Use your 2011 LSV as the baseline. Consider how much ballast weight you use (which equates to how much $ you spent to enhance the wake) then take a test drive on a 2013 LSV with same amount of ballast weight to compare LSV w/o surf gates to LSV w surf gates. Then compare to the MXZ with same ballast weight and surf gates. Choose the best you can afford :)

Let us know the results. I too have a 2011 LSV 23 and am considering the upgrade to 2013. I would love to have surf gates but also looking to add transome walk-over and enjoy the new Fosgate radio with ability to lock the buttons.

Edited by Aquajung

This may not answer your question but I took a factory tour two weeks ago and the number #1 boat they were making was the 24MXZ. That does not mean it's better....just the most popular choice when I was there.

24 MXZ is an awesome boat but for surfing you would be best with the 23 LSV... I have test drove both and played a ton with ballast options, with the LSV we were able to create a much cleaner wave.

I was originally going to buy a 24 MXZ but switched to 23 LSV after testing. If you are primarily a wakeboarder and/or want a HUGE boat with lots of storage, style, and the newest features, get the 24 MXZ.

24 MXZ should be compared with the 247 and not the 23 for size. Like wise the 23 LSV with the 22 MXZ. The bow is huge on the MXZs At the Seattle boat show they had a 24 MXZ next to a 23 LSV and it felt quit a bit smaller.

24 MXZ should be compared with the 247 and not the 23 for size. Like wise the 23 LSV with the 22 MXZ. The bow is huge on the MXZs At the Seattle boat show they had a 24 MXZ next to a 23 LSV and it felt quit a bit smaller.

I haven't been in a 24 MXZ yet, but I heard the cabin area is about the same size as a 23 LSV. Difference in size is all in the bow.

As many of you know I am considering upgrading my 11 lsv for a new boat!! I have looked at both boats and the new 24 mxz is awesome to say the least but my question is how is the surf wake comparable to the 23?? There has been some talk that the mxz in the 22 has had some problems with the surf wake and just want to know if that carries over to the 24?? We primarily surf so tell me your thoughts??

A slight highjack but I was also considering a new 23 LSV just to take advantage of surf gate. However I was talking to the WSA folks at the Boat Show in Dallas this weekend and we got onto the subject of retrofitting surfgate to an '11 LSV. WSA has already looked at what is required and believes it would not be a major modification but they require the support of Malibu. With a relatively young LSV with low hours, to me, a surfgate reftrofit would be an easier "sell" than a new boat. Although Malibu has not yet endorsed a retrofit program, WSA think they will in time, similar to what they did with the Wedge. I intend emailing Malibu management to request their support for this enhancement.

I have heard that there is a fix in the works for the surfgate on the MXZ.

did you hear that it was a retrofit for boats already made or just for future boats. my 24 MXZ is currently being made and I would be very interested if it misses this fix.

Can you comment on the problems that the MXZ22 has with surfgate? I am about to sign a deal tomorrow and this is the first I have heard of this.

Joe, What they are talking about is what some have termed "spray gate" on the MXZ. If you look at the gate it has a notch because of the shape of the transom and allows water to pass through and over the platform. I've not had our boat on the water and am not too concerned about it. I also don't know how people are weighting these boats, if you add plug'n play to the back for wakeboarding you need to add weight to the bow, so the same should apply for Surfgate. We primarily wakeboard, so surfgate will be a bonus. The 24 MXZ is good enough for Grubb...

Edited by thtrog

The 22 mxz has a funky water spray that comes off the surf gate, something to do with the different shaped hull!! Not sure if it actually interferes with the ride quality of the wake, or just looks bad!!

Joe, What they are talking about is what some have termed "spray gate" on the MXZ. If you look at the gate it has a notch because of the shape of the transom and allows water to pass through and over the platform. I've not had our boat on the water and am not too concerned about it. I also don't know how people are weighting these boats, if you add plug'n play to the back for wakeboarding you need to add weight to the bow, so the same should apply for Surfgate. We primarily wakeboard, so surfgate will be a bonus. The 24 MXZ is good enough for Grubb...

Thanks for the explanation. Moving forward.

There are probably some ghetto fixes you could do to eliminate the spray gate issue, but besides that the floatyness of the 24 MXZ seems to be an issue. It requires a lot of ballast to sink it proper. Whereas the LSV does great with just two 750's on top of stock.

More food for thought: Talking to the Nautique guys, the 230 seems to be a favorite over the G series for creating clean surf wakes with the NSS (Surf Gate copy.)