Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Batteries in the back?

cowwboy

As usual I'm re-doing the stereo install again. I didn't like how much space was taken up by the batteries in the observer compartment(4d and group 29).

I was thinking of building a false floor the same level as the observer seat like the one on here. But again I loose quite a bit of storage. I wish I could get batteries to fit under the seats!

I can't do the bow filler extension as it would cover my center bag acces hatch which also houses one of my drain plugs.

Has anyone installed them next to the motor and build a cover for the ballast bags to fill around? I'm not to worried about the loss of bag volume as the battery by volume weighs more.

One of these days I will finally be happy with the install and maybe not change it every winter. But what fun is it then?

They were in the lockers on my old 01. I hated it so I moved them to under one of the rear seats.

I did have to use Optima batteries so I could lay them on their sides so everything cleared.

Be careful putting batteries next to, or near, the engine. Most batteries don't like a lot of heat.

Also, marine convention is to try to keep batteries out of the engine compartment if possible. This is because batteries can cause sparks so if there's something flammable in there (such as gas fumes in the bilge or a gas leak on the engine itself) then best to keep the batteries somewhat away from the engine and engine bay. Use of the blower helps with this risk of course. Sealed batteries like an Optima help as well as they can be contained within a small battery box and thereby isolated somewhat.

There is no problem putting batteries by the engine. Go take a look at pretty much every other boat in the boating industry and you will see that all cigarette boats have their batteries in the engine compartment and do most all I/O's.

There is no concern there and I would not be worried about heat as well. Plenty of boats put their batteries in the engine bay. Just make sure your connections are solid and you will be fine. And no matter where your batteries are - use your blower

I think they will fit squeezed up against the wrap around seat back in the V-drive compartments.

The panel that the shock connects to can probobly be extended and cover the battery.

I'm thinking of moving the switch under the center seat. Then just run 00 to the observer compartment and retreave much needed space for all the bags the ladies insist on bringing.

Having the batteries in the rear lockers makes it a royal PITA any time you have to access the engine through the locker. This was one of the main reasons I moved mine to under the observer seat.

Good to be careful about placement of the batteries. Batteries don't like heat, so if they're close to the engine that will dramatically shorten battery life, particularly in a ski boat where the engine bay temps generally get a lot hotter than in a sailboat for example.

Most boat fires are caused by electrical sparks which then ignite either fuel floating in the bilge, or flamable vapors (such as propane) that have escaped and then collected, often in the engine bay. Conventional marine design wisdom is to try to minimize this risk by locating batteries in an area separated from, or away from, the engine and other sources of flammable vapors or liquids. It's the same reasoning behind a flame arrestor being on the top of marine carbs instead of a traditional filter.

Edited by CliffB

Having the batteries in the rear lockers makes it a royal PITA any time you have to access the engine through the locker. This was one of the main reasons I moved mine to under the observer seat.

That's the reason I am thinking about moving mine up behind the observers seat in my VLX, I can't lower the engine divider to work on it since it hits the batteries about 1/2 down to the floor.

Good to be careful about placement of the batteries. Batteries don't like heat, so if they're close to the engine that will dramatically shorten battery life, particularly in a ski boat where the engine bay temps generally get a lot hotter than in a sailboat for example.

Most boat fires are caused by electrical sparks which then ignite either fuel floating in the bilge, or flamable vapors (such as propane) that have escaped and then collected, often in the engine bay. Conventional marine design wisdom is to try to minimize this risk by locating batteries in an area separated from, or away from, the engine and other sources of flammable vapors or liquids. It's the same reasoning behind a flame arrestor being on the top of marine carbs instead of a traditional filter.

Based on that theory vehicle batteries wouldn't last during summer, and like has been said before except for tow boats the rest of the industry mounts them there.

I'm not sure about others boats but my v-drive compartments are not much warmer then the observer compartment.

Even on million dollar cruisers they stick generators right next to the motors, and every i/o I've been on has them right next to the motor / motors.

The access portion I will work with but being tucked that far forward I don't think I'll have an issue.

Now to find a good place to get 2/0 or 4/0 for the run from the back to the front.