Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would this cause any problem in the wake formation ?

mrtozk

Hey everyone,

I am about to purchase a 1992 malibu f3, I recently found out that that there is a slight problem with the tip of the 3rd fin. it is slightly smaller that the first two. I dont know how this happened but i have doubts wether this would affect the performance or not Any comments?

Thanks

A smaller rear fin would cause the water to deflect off of the other two fins causing the wake to converge earlier than normal and utlimately become wider and taller than normal.....Just kidding, I don't see how it would have any effect on the boats performance :biggrin: .

Was it damaged,replaced or like this from the factory? If it was replaced I would want to know why. If there's no damage and all fins are original then there must be a reason it was made like this.

Was it damaged,replaced or like this from the factory? If it was replaced I would want to know why. If there's no damage and all fins are original then there must be a reason it was made like this.

Good point. If it was damaged, whatever hit the rear fin probably hit the prop and rudder too. So just make sure to inspect it all thoroughly for spider cracks or obvious damage.

Just thought.of sometime else...

If a piece was broken off could the owner have ground it down to make it "look" original?

That was my first thought.

It the gel coat and other running gear is in good shape like michiganboarder said, it shouldn't have any effect on wake.

These are all good things to investigate for general health of the boat. In direct answer to your question, this would not affect the wake size / shape. The fins underneath would affect handling characteristics. Wake shape is all about hull design (shape) and displacement (how much weight and where is the weight located). In other words, what hull do you have, and precisely how much weight is precisely where. There are different bells and whistles like wedges but all that does is modify the pitch of the same hull (could also be attained by adding a massive amount of weight to the very rear).

I think you have stellar advice here about things to think about damage wise, however.

Edited by wakeboarder3780

Hey everyone, Thanks for the valuable advise. I ask the owner how this happened and been told that the damage occurred when they were taking the boat out of the water. I guess I need to go and see for myself and check for any spider cracks etc.

thank you all