Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underwater transom LED lights

Fman

Has anyone installed these aftermarket with the MTC? Can the software be updated to have the transom light button added? Its a $398 upgrade coming from Malibu. I had them on my 11, we used them more out of the water for light in the parking lot while wiping down the boat. Not so much in the water, wanted to find out how much it would cost to add on aftermarket?

Edited by Fman

If I understand your correctly you want to turn on the function within the MTC to control the new lights?

If this is the case you can simply go into settings on your MTC and activate the buttons that are currently inactive. Once you do that all that is needed is to install the lights and wire them to the proper place. I'd assume there is a chance that there is a pigtail for that option hidden somewhere near the transom.

I was thinking about doing this same thing in the next year or two. I'll continue to follow to see how it goes. Good luck!

Im considering not ordering them on my 13, but wanted to find out how difficult they are to add aftermarket and how much it costs to install if I regret not having them? Malibu also kind of puts them in a funky place over the exhaust ports. A lot of the light they throw out gets blocked out by the wedge, not sure why they do this. Looking at this area there are other areas that look to be a better install spot for the lights.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 1

Im considering not ordering them on my 13, but wanted to find out how difficult they are to add aftermarket and how much it costs to install if I regret not having them? Malibu also kind of puts them in a funky place over the exhaust ports. A lot of the light they throw out gets blocked out by the wedge, not sure why they do this. Looking at this area there are other areas that look to be a better install spot for the lights.

Have you looked at that area from inside the bilge? I think you'll find that most of the area not behind wedge is not accessible. I use them at night (oops, dusk) when surfing to light up the wave which it does nicely with the wedge deployed.

They are a piece of cake to install; put them in my VLX last year. Wires were already stuffed in the harness at the back of the boat, just pluged them into the lights and activated the feature on the MTC.

i have always wondered why they put them behind the wedge.... I did't get them this time, but may look into to adding them later. Doesn't look to be that hard.

Like 2011VTX said, you just go into setup and add enable the feauture. i went in and disabled tower lights and some other stuff on my VLX.

They are a piece of cake to install; put them in my VLX last year. Wires were already stuffed in the harness at the back of the boat, just pluged them into the lights and activated the feature on the MTC.

Seriously? the wires were already there? What lights did you put in? (sorry to threadjack)

Seriously? the wires were already there? What lights did you put in? (sorry to threadjack)

Yup. I am pretty sure that Malibu uses one harness that includes wiring for all factory options. My dealer told me where to dig them out of the harness. I ordered the factory malibu LED lights from my dealer, but pretty sure you could use any light you wanted.

Yup. I am pretty sure that Malibu uses one harness that includes wiring for all factory options. My dealer told me where to dig them out of the harness. I ordered the factory malibu LED lights from my dealer, but pretty sure you could use any light you wanted.

What was the cost? Probably less than $400.

What was the cost? Probably less than $400.

It is a better value to order them with your boat unless you don't like the factory location or type of light. If I remember right, I only saved about $20 bucks by installing them myself. My boat was purchased off the lot so I had no choice.

Did the same on my VTX last year with blue attwood underwater lights. Wires already there. Connect, check a box in MTC and they work!

We rarely ever used them on the 2011, once in a great time we would turn them on at dark. Mainly for wiping down the boat in the parking lot. Im going to take a pass on them for the 2013, I did however order the LED docking lights, we used them a lot more and I like how they look on the boat. I figure I can always add them on for a winter project, plus I would mount them in a different location than malibu does from the factory.

I opted to have my dealer install the LED lights when my VLX arrives. 1.) Malibu does not offer a Blue LED light. 2.) I wanted to add the Shadow Caster SC 10 which i believe to be a little brighter. White LED's, at least on my lake, look like a brown glow behind your boat.

You're gonna really like the Shadow Caster SC-10's. We get stopped by other boaters at night so they can ask what they are. I swear they look like the boat is shooting blue paint out the back at speed. I got the remote too for some different effects.

I opted to have my dealer install the LED lights when my VLX arrives. 1.) Malibu does not offer a Blue LED light. 2.) I wanted to add the Shadow Caster SC 10 which i believe to be a little brighter. White LED's, at least on my lake, look like a brown glow behind your boat.

I gave my son-in-law a couple of the Malibu branded lights (like Bakes sells) for Christmas a couple of years ago for his VLX. These can be colored using the translucent model paint (spray or brush on) available from your favorite hobby store.

The stuff sticks very well to the poly carbonate housing and the blue color has held up fine for two full seasons in the water. A much cheaper solution than the "real" blue LEDs, much brighter, and you can choose your shade and color.

• 4 months later...

Are the wires already there in an '09 VLX?

Edited by RyanOz

Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my new txi I ordered heated seat, heater, and underwater lights.

With the mux ... There is NOT one but TWO!

They only installed one on mine.

That means they hooked up all 3 "wrong"

Heated seat has a manual switch. .. Not what I would have expected but it works and seems like their norm.

The heater the installed on the a sep. manual switch. Not sure why when the computer has the capadicity.

Worst was the swim lights ... Piggybacked with interior lights.

As it turns out when dealer was dealing with warranty items, Malibu didn't instal the second mux/switching unit even tho it had components I ordered. Dealer wanted 300 parts plus 2-3 hours labour to install. You can guess my response.

Short story is they have ordered unit and will haggle with Malibu re install afterwards.

From my point of view, I bought the maliview with all the options segregated and touch screen. I'm not setting for less after the fact. If Malibu of my dealer had discussed how they do it before. Well we'd come to a mutual agreement.

I figure I paid decent money for the maliview and I expect it go work as advertised in the brochure I ordered it from.

My transom lights are hooked up to the interior LEDs, all the same circuit on an ACC switch. Then there are interior lights on another circuit too.

So your asking for pics of the wiring?

What are you talking about?

This is about "transom LED lights"

Yes, re transom lights but also how to hook them up.

If you try to hook them up to maliview and u don't have both units, can't do it.

It's not onvious until u know that the mux is split into 2 parts.

I never would have guessed. So I tried to find/ hook up things and couldn't figure out why I couldn't find them of make it work.

Duh, not even there!!! So if you are trying to make it switchable to the mux touch screen on the swim lights button ... Can only do that if u have the right half of the mux switches.