Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stainless turndown tips vs rubber flappers

Fman

Between the two which one reduces the most engine noise? I could care less about how it looks, more concerned about noise reduction from engine. On the fence if I should order on my 13, I want the quietest engine noise.

Edited by Fman

You are ordering an $80K boat what's a few extra bucks for the turndown? From what I have read there are baffels in the trundowns that help with engine noise. I would order with just for that reason as well.

• Like 1

Its not so much the cost, I don't want turn downs if they are louder than the rubber flappers. Most order turn downs because they look better... I could care less, once the boats in the water you never see them.

Btw, you would be surprised how fast little upgrades add thousands to the final price.

Edited by Fman

The turndowns will be quiet and also help with carbon monoxide at back of boat. A must for surfing

I had flaps on VLX and have turn downs on the LSv. My wife says she can tell a difference. I haven't been behind it yet to tell if there is a difference when surfing. If nothing else, they would help with exhaust while surfing - every little bit helps.

I say get them!

I did not have them on my 2011 and never had an issue with exhause fumes surfing. My sales rep today said they tested both and literally noticed no difference in sound levels. He also mentioned the turn downs have been known to create back pressure (from the baffles) and decrease performance in motors. Not sure how true this is, but I just bypassed them. For $450 I can always add them later if I feel its necessary.

• Like 1

As the Whellman mentioned.

Turndowns will be quieter and also help with carbon monoxide. This is one of the options on my Txi;

it seems to be a default option from Malibu when you order your boat with the wedge. :footing:

Both Malibu and my Dealer confirm no loss in performance and defiantly quieter.

Edited by Dare2goBare

As the Whellman mentioned.

Turndowns will be quieter and also help with carbon monoxide. This is one of the options on my Txi;

it seems to be a default option from Malibu when you order your boat with the wedge. :footing:

Both Malibu and my Dealer confirm no loss in performance and defiantly quieter.

I can only pass on the info my dealer gave me which was don't waist your money. Im assuming he is being honest, its not his money he is using selecting boat options with me. I did not have them on my 11 and never had co2 issues surfing or excessive noise issues. My friend has them on his X 15 and I don't notice his boat being any quieter or less fumes. They definitely look better than the rubber flaps.

The rubber baffles actually do a very good job of suppressing sound. Not only does the rubber absorb some of the noise, the tension keeps them as closed as possible to minimize sound levels and to minimize line of sight for noise suppression.

Turn downs will also minimize line of sight, but if they only have the metal inner flappers, they might not suppress the sound as effectively. My experience is the metal flappers don't really supress much sound. The turn downs might also have an additional muffler inside the pipe that would quiet the exhaust. Either type will run above the waterline while the boat is on plane.

My vote would lean towards the rubber baffles. You can actually make your own and attach to the stainless tips although it does take some fabrication effort.

I didn't have the Turndowns on my 2010 with Monsoon and had them on my 2012 with Monsoon. Much quieter with the turndowns and I think it is a Very noticable difference. I will never order a boat without them again...

I had the flaps for a year, switched to turn downs. The boat is much quieter while surfing and off plane. On plane. I can't tell much differance. I was impressed.

I didn't have the Turndowns on my 2010 with Monsoon and had them on my 2012 with Monsoon. Much quieter with the turndowns and I think it is a Very noticable difference. I will never order a boat without them again...

Thats a good comparison, was the noise reduced in the boat or while on a wakeboard? I have heard a few people say it helps hear the stereo better while boarding? did you notice any performance difference with engine?

Edited by Fman
  • 4 weeks later...

I have compared my 2006 Malibu equipped with turndowns to a friends nearly identical boat that did not. My boat is quieter and has much less smoke blowing behind the boat. So yes, they are the quieter option and have reduced exhaust blowing into the air, unless something changed in the exhaust design on newer boats.

The rubber baffles actually do a very good job of suppressing sound. Not only does the rubber absorb some of the noise, the tension keeps them as closed as possible to minimize sound levels and to minimize line of sight for noise suppression.

Turn downs will also minimize line of sight, but if they only have the metal inner flappers, they might not suppress the sound as effectively. My experience is the metal flappers don't really supress much sound. The turn downs might also have an additional muffler inside the pipe that would quiet the exhaust. Either type will run above the waterline while the boat is on plane.

My vote would lean towards the rubber baffles. You can actually make your own and attach to the stainless tips although it does take some fabrication effort.

After reading this topic many times I am thinking about adding the rubber baffle to my turn downs mine already have the additional muffler inside so I am thinking I can drill a little hole in it and cut out a stiff piece of rubber and drill a little hole in it and just put a screw in it. What do you guys think?

I am no expert mechanic but wouldn't that produce too much back pressure in the exhaust system? this might be counter productive on the motor and how it performs.

I think the turn down tips with the baffle is about all you should do. I have heard some turn down tips dont have baffles in them, but it sounds like you have confirmed you have them. Apparently, from what I was told the 2013 turn down tips I am recieving on the VLX do have an extra baffle in them to help reduce noise.

If you want a truly Quiet Boat and more sound from your stereo....and virtually NO EXHAUST fumes while surfing....than get a FAE!

Yes I have one on my V-Drive and it is Everything stated above....

just my .02

I think the vlx is pretty quiet on its own. I think I just hear the bubbles coming to the surface more than the engine

For me it was more when the boat is towing someone, the exhaust is above the water line and becomes much louder. I am hoping the turdown tips help divert some noise compared to the rubber flaps.

For me it was more when the boat is towing someone, the exhaust is above the water line and becomes much louder. I am hoping the turdown tips help divert some noise compared to the rubber flaps.

just turn the stereo up louder, problem solved :thumbup:

• Like 1