Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

pic request, tinted windows

bamabonners

Mine is black and tan so I am hoping it will look pretty good and bring out the black. I was thinking 30% like my truck, but wasn't sure if that was too much - i didn't realize some folks were running 5!

30% isn't a very dark tint in my opinion. I will try to remeber to post a pic of the 30% on my truck tomorrow. My old car had 20%. That was awesome. 20% is dark enough that the black starts to mirror and not allow visibility through the window. 30%, you will see through with no trouble.

you also have to remember that your vehicle is going to be darker because it's an enclosed space with much more material getting in the way of sunlight. Here in TN the state legal limit for front window tinting is 35% which is right at the edge of being able to see someone clearly and just being able to make out a figure. I would go with 15-20% for a boat, it should be dark enough to look good and give a nice contrast to the boat, but light enough that its still visible and not completely dark.

Sorry, no pics my boat is black I went with 15% and am very happy with it. When I get home in a week I will get you one. With and with out.

This might be a dumb question but is the tint the same as auto tint? I want to tint my windows but when I asked a tint shop they said there's a different type of marine tint and that they do not tint boat windows.

I did 20% and i think that's the perfect number. I do allot of dusk and dawn riding which it only sucks around those times. My friend had his Tigé tinted to 5%. Although it looked nice it practically made his windshield useless. Here's a few of mine.

2012-11-11_13-29-16_791-1.jpg2012-11-11_13-29-25_129.jpg Remember 20% is the magic number!

5% for me as well. The white interior doesn't make it seem as dark as it is. I don't do much night time driving either. With the dark tint and the bimini top up, it makes for a darker, cooler spot in the boat to get out of the direct sun light if need be.

IMG_4237.jpg

• 7 months later...

Both tint jobs look amazing!!! I want to tint mine as well. On the darker boat the 20% looks like 5%. Have you noticed any problems with visibility with either 5% or 20%? daylight, dusk or night?

highly recommended.... ive done 20% on 2 of my boats, and would do so again.

Couple considerations:

You need a GOOD window tint guy. I would estimate only 20-30% of tint places have the experience and talent to do tint on our windows.... its very difficult on the scale of things to be tinted with that glass curve and limited/tight work area. They had to completely remove the windshield on my current boat to do it. rather difficult jobs to get right. Have it done by someone not in that top 30% and you"ll end up with a hack job and maybe even damage to your boat. I had some scratches on my windshield from their razor during fitting and their steam gun touched and melted my vinyl on my last boat. The glass on our windhshields is softer than that of auto glass.

Go medium tint... at the darkest. both of mine are meduim. Go darker and its too dark at night.... and when you have the windshield folded over that area is completely blacked out. Medium is plenty to keep the dash area cooler and reduce glare off the water. i love it.

12D333A6-526F-4E38-8A7F-37837DE4828F-151F02FCFEF-126C-49D1-B54C-BDC7F80B75AE-982