Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mercruiser air filter question?

My 96 Echelon LX has a 350 mercruiser with throttle body FI. I have the common problem with this engine just dying after a start on hot days when the engine has been shut down and it's hot out. Sometimes it wont start at all for a while.

It appears to be an "air" problem. So people recommend running the blower fan always. If it's bad enough I have to open the engine hood and air it out. I usually smell a burp of fumes when it finally does start.

I've only had this boat one season it only has 300 hours, but is 17 years old. I'm guessing the air filter has never been changed/cleaned. The filter is a metal mesh looking filter and it is full of grime. I'm wondering if it is restricting air flow.

questions:

1. can you clean these filters or do I need to replace it? (ie. K&N filters?)

2. Does this sound like a likely issue that could be helping my problem?

3. How often should these be cleaned or replaced?

Thanks

Agreed on the vapor lock.

The "air cleaner" is actually called a spark arrestor on a boat since it doesn't actually filter air, but has small slots in it that prevent backfire flame from exiting the throttle body or carb. It is best to remove it once a year and clean it from the inside out with carb cleaner or a similar solvent.

Thanks on the correction for the spark arrestor. I didn't know that.

I read up on the vapor lock stuff. It sounds like I definately have a fuel issue. I will try some of these cheaper easy fixes (insulating the fuel lines, etc..) this spring. If that doesn't fix it, then I've heard a new fuel pump may fix it if it's got issues keeping the psi up.

• Like 2

Thanks on the correction for the spark arrestor. I didn't know that.

I read up on the vapor lock stuff. It sounds like I definately have a fuel issue. I will try some of these cheaper easy fixes (insulating the fuel lines, etc..) this spring. If that doesn't fix it, then I've heard a new fuel pump may fix it if it's got issues keeping the psi up.

You're learning fast!! Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

if you are running Ethanol blended gas in your state....I would also suggest using Startron Enzyme Ethanol treatment in EVERY gallon of gas in your boat....this stuff works

post-15441-0-86269600-1360296565_thumb.j

• 6 years later...

I am experiencing similar problems as Woodshed, but also a kind of bogging of the engine when I go to full throttle (as if pulling up a skier). I will do everything mentioned above, but I was wondering about the quality of Gas. I am just putting regular Arco 87 (southern California). Should I be using Premium or some kind of gasoline additive? Also, any suggestions on the "Bogging down" comments would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, Special said:

I am experiencing similar problems as Woodshed, but also a kind of bogging of the engine when I go to full throttle (as if pulling up a skier). I will do everything mentioned above, but I was wondering about the quality of Gas. I am just putting regular Arco 87 (southern California). Should I be using Premium or some kind of gasoline additive? Also, any suggestions on the "Bogging down" comments would be appreciated.

Do you have a carb engine or injected?  What year?