Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Echelon LX ski locker question?

Woodshed

I've noticed ski lockers in the floor on some Echelon's have a flat platform/floor in it. Mine does not, it goes down to the V in the bottom of the hull. Mine also has a black neoprene lining in it. The neoprene has a slit in the very bottom of the V from a ski fin about a foot long. As usual, my boat always has water sloshing fore and aft and the water is underneath that neoprene when I'm trying to dry it out. I have to try to squigie in the bottom of the V to get water to work out of the slit and then dry it with a towel before it works back underneath.

I'm thinking of ripping that stuff out because it's so difficult to dry out the locker when the water is below the neoprene. So the questions:

1. Do I need that in there?

2. Does water on the fiberglass underneath it hurt the fiberglass?

3. If I replace it, will it keep the water from working underneath it, or will it just slide up under as it moves forward from the engine compartment?

Thanks

Can you take a picture? Mine is fiberglass & flat bottom about 1" below the drain hole to the bilge.

Reading your other post- your's is a '96 which is probably off the Respone configuration. Do you have a walkthrough or a step over to the front? If a walk over, the bilge and ski locker are probably more akin to a Response rather than previous years 93-95 Echelon LX.

Edited by Woodski

You are correct, mine is a 96 Echelon LX with a walk through. If I pull the lining up from the slit in it and look in there, it's just rough hard ugly fiberglass. Mine is also about an inch below the drain hole in the bulkhead to the engine compartment. Water just slides underneath that though.

Here is the slit in the very bottom. It's just yellow rough unfinished fiberglass. I'm not sure if it's wet/damp all the time if that is bad for it. I wouldn't like the look of just the fiberglass, but it would be really easy to dry out then.

20130128_194112_zps47f4b149.jpg

This is looking aft at the drain hole.

20130128_194023_zps2c6f7b9b.jpg

This is looking forward.

20130128_194013_zps78f380cc.jpg

Edited by Woodshed
  • 1 year later...

Long overdue comment, but did you ever decide on a solution? Looking at the pictures and comparing to the 94 Echelon, my floor is basically the fiberglass although it has a white gelcoat in the ski locker and gray in the bilge. You could do a similar thing, pick up some resin and colorant, mix and apply.