Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 23' LSV Build Pics

pkh

PKH, do you live somewhere where there is a lot of snow/ice? Do you use your boat at all in the spring/fall when there has been any salt on the road? I've had 6 different boatmate trailers ('07 vlx, '08 SANTE 230, '09 SANTE 230, '10 SANTE 230, '11 Axis A22, '12 Axis A22), and I have had zero problems with rust or anything else with any of my trailers. I live in Tennessee, so we don't have much salt on the road or in the water where I ride.

Never drove it in the winter, so I don't think it would have been salt or other chemicals.

The boat sits in a dry dock indoors and the trailer was stored outside uncovered (and it rains a lot here.) So its possible that "helped" the process along. The paint on the trailer was flaking off in places and that's where the rust developed.

They claimed it was because something had scratched the paint off but it was all over and in places that there was no way it could have been scratched off. If you look at the thread linked above you will see other folks having trouble with rust on Boatmate.

I had lots of rust issues with my 1 year old Boatmate trailer: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27779-trailer-recommendation/page-2

Ryan's are local, super solid build and paint process. Not quite as bling'd out as Boatmate but they got the important things right.

Thats terrible, I always thought Boatmate was a top notch trailer builder... very disappointing they had no interest in actually correcting the problem. Did you actually nick or damage the trailer to cause the rust spots????

My '11 had an SBT and it still looks great, ordering the same for my 2013....

No I could understand if there was some impact to the trailer that caused the paint to flake off or cause rust but it wasn't that. They recommended some touch up paint, but that was it.

Honestly I think the Boatmate trailers look great, I don't fault anyone with picking them. The whole experience just left a bad taste in my mouth, and I had a chance at getting a different trailer and supporting a local company so I went for it.

Makes sense you you for sure. I've had a completely different type of experience with boatmate and would not consider anything else. The customer service I've received is second to none.