Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
justinwivey

1986 Skier

justinwivey

Hey guys, new to the forum, 1st post. I recently purchased a 1986 skier. I bought this as a project boat as it needs some work. My brother was the previous owner of the boat and he didn't really take care of it. The engine runs fine as far as I can tell. I plan on having the seats rebuit in the next couple months and rebuilding the floor and stingers next winter. I figure if I can get the seats refinished, I will be able to use the boat this summer.

I have a few questions:

1. To winterize the boat, what all is required? I have drained the water out of both sides of the block.

2. What can I expect to pay to have the seats rebuilt and recovered. The existing wood is rotten.

3. How bad is the job of replacing the floor and stingers. I plan to do this myself.

4. Is there any other things I need to check before putting it in the water this summer? I'm talking about maintenance items that need to replaced regularly.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

jk13

Welcome. Post up some pics, there were some great color combos back then.

1. Drain block (done), drain exhaust manifolds (drain plugs at the rear underside), pull all water hoses and empty, make sure trans. cooler is empty.

2. If you are capable of doing stringers, do the seat bases yourself. Trace and cut. Save or do the same with the foam. Vinyl replacement cost will vary by who does it.

3. There are threads on here you can search, otherwise correctcraftfan.com has some great rebuilds of old wood stringer Nautiques in their archives.

4. Raw water impeller should be done every year or two at most. Motor tune up items if they haven't been done recently by your brother.

justinwivey

Thanks for the reply. I have drained the exhaust manifolds. Where is the transmission cooler located?

jk13

Should be down low along one side of the engine. Round metal tube with a water hose inlet at one end and outlet at the other with two trans. fluid hoses attached in between. If you follow all of your water hoses you'll find it.

justinwivey

Thanks for the reply. Those are some awesome rebuilds. I hope to get mine looking that good oneday.