Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fresh Air Exhaust

D-GOOSE

I'm looking at setting up a Group Buy for FAE systems and wanted to see how many people would still be interested.

If you have this system please let us know on the pro's and con's.

post-235-0-04267600-1359478503_thumb.jpg

post-235-0-71087900-1359478516_thumb.jpg

post-235-0-70161100-1359478524_thumb.jpg

post-235-0-93639000-1359478532_thumb.jpg

Has anyone seen one of these on a Malibu with a manual wedge?

They make it. I looked into it last year. It was in prototype. The installation is a little different and I think you would have to be in the water to put the wedge down.

Is it worth the $ if you have a cat etx motor? I have never once smelled any fumes surfing or had anyone suffer any signs of CO2 poisioning.

Will it work with a power wedge?

The benefit (IMHO) for folks with cats is the noise reduction. It is crazy much quieter. When behind the boat with the handle in your hand, it's like adding a second set of tower speakers or doubling your stereo output if you already have two pair.

Yes, Larry makes a power wedge compatible version.

That said, I'm taking mine off this year for two reasons:

First, despite numerous adjustments and consultations with Larry (and he'll spend as much time as you need) it introduces some spray to the wave. Who knows what it will do on a surfgate boat? Maybe it won't impact the wave at all? I'll betcha Larry doesn't know either, so be prepared to be a bit of a beta tester / guinea pig.

Second, despite numerous adjustments, it still feels like it's choking the boat's power output, especially at lower speeds. It really took the oomph out of my boat's holeshot. My partner has a 247 with hammerhead and experienced the same thing. He took the FAE back off and his boat was a monster out of the hole again. Neither of us helped the other on the installs, so either we both made the same install mistakes independently, or the FAE does indeed sap some holeshot.

Now maybe that's because of my own shadetree mechanic install skills (which I'm not claiming are great by any means)? But that brings up another point... the kit Larry gives you is pretty rudimentary and will require quite a bit of custom fab/Macguyvering on your end to get to work. I remember spreading out all the parts and thinking "really?" Make sure you have a hacksaw and some really good drill bits on hand. Access to a hardware store with good stainless steel stuff would be good too. I know some people can get the FAE set up with the worm drive hose clamps Larry ships with, but I would VERY strongly recommend not even messing with those and going straight for some high quality "t-bar" hose clamps that you can really crank down on.

The install is a bit trial and error... which sucks if you end up in an "error" phase for a day on the water. Dunno about you guys, but summer seems to go way too fast to spend a valuable day on the water fiddlin' and tinkerin'. If I lived on the water and could mess with / test the install adjustments after work I'd probably have a different opinion. We trailer at least an hour each way to the water, so a "fail" can ruin the whole day. This is absolutely positively NOT something you want to install right before a big trip to shasta or powell or something. Do it on a "throw away" couple of days on the water, where pulling the boat to mess with the FAE is part of the plan.

By the end of last summer I had ours adjusted so the spray/deformation of the wave was tolerable and the impact on holeshot was less, and I left it on because of how much better the stereo sounded with the handle in my hand while wakeboarding. It is a HUGE difference. But now in the cold winter months I've been thinking that that choking of my holeshot can't be good for my motor, so I'm going to try running the boat without the FAE for a while this season.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1

Shawn,

Have you considered going with the Malibu turn-down's:

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756

Very expensive for what they are but look nice and are supposed to help quiet the boat down quite a bit (and would probably fit on your MB pretty easily).

Yes, but I don't think it'd work. I've got a single 4" exhaust tip now. Like this:

410-281402.jpg

Shawn,

Do your tips have a stainless flapper or rubber flapper? If it's stainless, you could knock some noise down with rubber flappers. I dig my V8 sounds more than the stereo so my mufflers went bye bye. :) Nothing like surfing to the sound of a small block. :biggrin:

Yes, but I don't think it'd work. I've got a single 4" exhaust tip now. Like this:

Ahh, you are rocking the single output boat - thought yours would be a dual-exhaust setup. Looks like you are SOL.

Shawn,

Do your tips have a stainless flapper or rubber flapper? If it's stainless, you could knock some noise down with rubber flappers. I dig my V8 sounds more than the stereo so my mufflers went bye bye. :) Nothing like surfing to the sound of a small block. :biggrin:

LOL, no flappers at all.

And I hear what you are saying about the motor noise, but in my experience, and this is with two pairs of rev10s getting 400w per can, that it's really hard to get the tower speakers to overcome the exhaust noise. The FAE cuts the noise A LOT. Like you can be conversational between the boat and the surf wake.

No flapper! Dang.....I bet you could whack a lot of exhaust noise if you put a pair in.

That would be kind of neat....we have to use hand signals to talk to the boat while surfing, or yell....:lol:

No flapper! Dang.....I bet you could whack a lot of exhaust noise if you put a pair in.

That would be kind of neat....we have to use hand signals to talk to the boat while surfing, or yell.... :lol:

You know a lot more about this stuff than me. What do you think of these?

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-12622-4-slip-in-silencer.aspx

Those would help A LOT if you have straights right now. You know how sound moves linearly and is dampened or reflected by objects in it's path. That insert has a vertical plate to block engine noise and slots around to allow the gas to flow around the blockage. They would make a big difference and work the same way flappers do to cut down on noise.

They make it. I looked into it last year. It was in prototype. The installation is a little different and I think you would have to be in the water to put the wedge down.

I know they make it for the manual wedge but i cant find a single picture of a bu with one

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-12631-3-12quot-cyclone-quothpquot-series-inline-silencer-polished.aspx

I bought the above for the heck of it, an experiment I told the Admiral. Typical me.

Anyway, the install is fast approaching, can any FAE bubbas tell me if I can use both?

If so, I'm in!

Edited by malibuparadise