Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Please help with wiring

Hi guys just looking for some help with my 98 response , i imported from the usa to new zealand as Malibu boats here cost so much and it was the only way i could have what i wanted.....ok my rev counter started going up and down then would run sweet but now has stopped working , does any one know how to fix this or have a diagram so i could try my self....Malibu new zealand doesn't want to help me and auss feels the same way ,why because i didnt buy one off them but i did try to tell them that i dont have enough money to do this. anyway i love my boat.....

Phataz, I believe the rev counter triggers off a timing sensor on the exposed crank shaft pulley. At least as far as I recall. That sensor head needs to be clean and maintain a certain gap distance off the pulley for it work properly. Check that. If that all looks good then run a continuity test on the wiring to the gauge unit so you're sure there's continuity in the line from sensor to the gauge. Also, check that there's proper voltage and power to the gauge. If that all looks good then you probably have a problem with the gauge itself.

Nice dealers there. That seems to be increasingly standard practice with brand dealers - "if you didn't buy the boat from me then I'm going to be a petty little b!^@& and treat you like crap." Great. Personally, I go to the OEM for most parts for my Malibu as it's often a lot cheaper and easier than working with the dealer. That's just my personal experience, actual results may vary.

Edited by CliffB

If you have issues sorting it give us a bell down in Mango as I do alot of work on US based Mals, BTW is it a Merc or Indmar engine and carb or fuel injected?

Pure Inboards (021) 426 722

• 3 weeks later...

Search for the thread called "2003 LXi Tach w/PP analog part died but PP works fine" and go to post 21. I would post the link directly but copy/paste isn't working on my tablet at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys i have looked at the earth and this looks ok ,there is a plug on the crank but nothing goes into this ,got a gauge from a friend and still not going , boat is a 98 response ,engine is a 383 hammerhead fuel injected, i have two plugs that go into the dizzy ,plug on the left has two wires going in and the plug on the right has four wires in ,does anyone know which one of these wires is the one to the rev gauge?, i know on the gauge there is a power (red), earth (black),power for lites, and one yellow that goes to dizzy....please help

Edited by phataz5