Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"$10,000k + reasonable for purchase install of remanufactured 350 longblock? (Monsoon 340)

Harrison256

I'll elaborate a little, but it sat up for a year (unwinterized) and now dropped it at dealer. When I left it there they said it would be 7k and thats for a reman long block. 3 months later they say 10,000 plus (plus to them means they havent even looked at it). So how much should a long block cost? Or would boring out to stroker 383 be better? Or even having the current block acid bathed and redone?. There is salt damage as well as freeze damage. I know, its an abused boat.

Edit: This is the quote from only Malibu dealer in the area, I haven't gotten other quotes yet.

Edited by Harrison256

I remember this thread: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37759-oh-no-sand-in-intake-updated-now-wont-start/

same boat?

Sounds to me like the boat was pretty beat and that there could be more to do than just a long block? Alternator? Raw water pump? Fuel Pump? fuel injectors / rails? Plugs, wires, cap rotor?

I remember this thread: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37759-oh-no-sand-in-intake-updated-now-wont-start/

same boat?

Sounds to me like the boat was pretty beat and that there could be more to do than just a long block? Alternator? Raw water pump? Fuel Pump? fuel injectors / rails? Plugs, wires, cap rotor?

Yes thats correct, dealer mentioned that the + in the 10,000k + was to cover all of that. 10,000 was just for removing old block, purchase and install of new block. Thats why I hesitated because I know theres going to need to be at least a new alternator, new starter, hell maybe even new plentum. I also wanted to do new exhaust manifolds as well.

To be fair after re reading it was actually 8k+ to 10k+* But I know how that normally works... (If they'd let me keep the old block I'd be more inclined to accept.)

If I could have gotten everything you mentioned for 10k I'd be ecstatic. I believe ignition system is still good as well as fuel delivery. (Maybe just clean injectors). Also RW pump is already good.

Edited by Harrison256

Very steep price for a generic reman long block, a new crate version is well under that price. A marinized version would be more but still well under the $10k quoted. Does that include R&R, swapping over all the salvagable parts and having it running for you?

Simply google "GM small block crate engines" and you will find numerous examples from $3k on up depending on the configuration you are looking for. Lots of flavors available. The basic ski boat long block is generic small block GM with a Marine cam (which you have one in the unit that needs help presumably).

Note: per your question on salvaging the block, that just happens to be the most suseptible component in the freeze (read no antifreeze) war...so the block is most likely cracked (between the freeze plugs is a favorite).

Edited by Woodski

Not sure how an engine replacement quote goes up $3k from the boat just sitting. You can get a long block for less than $3k. Sounds like I need to start working on boats in the garage.

Not sure how an engine replacement quote goes up $3k from the boat just sitting. You can get a long block for less than $3k. Sounds like I need to start working on boats in the garage.

Yeah well I went in and they said 7k and I said as long as it doesn't get into the 5 figure range I can handle it. And they were like WHA? Noooo.. Never. And then they come back in the middle of winter and say Btw. Its 8-10 for the block and were going to need a deposit stat.

Very steep price for a generic reman long block, a new crate version is well under that price. A marinized version would be more but still well under the $10k quoted. Does that include R&R, swapping over all the salvagable parts and having it running for you?

Simply google "GM small block crate engines" and you will find numerous examples from $3k on up depending on the configuration you are looking for. Lots of flavors available. The basic ski boat long block is generic small block GM with a Marine cam (which you have one in the unit that needs help presumably).

That theoretically includes what it takes to get it running but honestly they weren't very detailed. I'm trying to go the insurance route and they're requiring an estimate broken down into parts and labor so we will find out soon. (Go BoatUS for covering freeze damage)

Edited by Harrison256

Really? Thats actually good news. I had expected a lot less. That is a fairly accurate description though. Also the tower isn't in the best shape.. Like at all.

That seems like a lot of money for a reman long block installed. After all, the long block itself is probably around $3,500 (inc. shipping) from any number of crate engine builders. The installer needs to swap out the cam and put on the inlet and manifolds and other marine gear from the old engine - that's probably 10-12 hours. Boat engines are usually pretty easy to get installed as it's often quite open and accessible - perhaps another 10-12 hours. At $100 bucks an hour that's $6,000 assuming 25 hours in total. Build in some additional profit, a couple of grand and that's $8,000.

add in new exhaust manifolds, an alternator, a starter, an intake manifold... and things start approaching $10k pretty quick. Add on a "basket case" premium for an admittedly poorly maintained boat, and there you go.

The intake manifold and the exhaust manifold along with all the marine gear come from the old engine. No cost, just labor to swap it over.

New starter makes sense, though I'd probably re-use the alternator. Starter for a Chev 350 is about $39 bucks.

This should be a $7,000-8,000 job at most. $10,000 is a total rip off.

Personally, I'd buy a nice built stroker long block with forged internals and all the whistles and bells for $3,500 and put it in myself. $3,500 bucks and boom, done.

Edited by CliffB

The intake manifold and the exhaust manifold along with all the marine gear come from the old engine. No cost, just labor to swap it over.

New starter makes sense, though I'd probably re-use the alternator. Starter for a Chev 350 is about $39 bucks.

This should be a $7,000-8,000 job at most. $10,000 is a total rip off.

Personally, I'd buy a nice built stroker long block with forged internals and all the whistles and bells for $3,500 and put it in myself. $3,500 bucks and boom, done.

I have a friend who could handle that with me as far as the mechanics of the install but then after that theres fuel mapping and all of that I imagine? How difficult is the job overall and where can I get a stroker block for 3500??

Also, the alternator was brand new and I've already got a new starter for it which is a plus (paid well over 39 bucks though, got it from west marine in a hurry)

Edited by Harrison256

Not sure which dealer in Houston you are using but they have changed hands recently to SMG - never heard of them and who knows how much they really know about indmar and malibu.

If you are willing to make the call, you should contact tony davis at Waterski America in Dallas, TX. Tony has been the shop manager for well over 20 years and they do a lot more engine rebuilds that any boat dealer in houston (due to more freezing weather in Dallas.

Winter is the time to get this project done since most dealers are fairly slow right now.

It hink it would really be worth the call to get another opinion for a 20 years malibu/indmar vet. You can let him know that you talked with Murphy Smith about this...may help.

There number is 972 620 2377.

SMG is Singleton Marine. A large dealer network for sure but if they've been around in other areas but not Houston and thats who's truning wrenches on your boat, doesn't do you much good! I'd talk to them about the labor they're charging for engine access and interior reinstall. That's stuff you could with a 6 pack and a 7/16" socket, just takes a while. Might be able to cut a few grand off. I woudl second that WSA has ridiculously good reputation. I'm many states away and I know of their reputation.

Went through an engine replacement myself last year. Ordered a new long block from marineenginedepot.com specced out for a replacement Monsoon 340 , with shipping it was right at $2,700. Looked at their site again, same engine is now $2,650 plus freight. Talked to Lee, very knowledgeable and no complaints about the engine. Ran it all summer long, now its resting and waiting for spring.

Not sure which dealer in Houston you are using but they have changed hands recently to SMG - never heard of them and who knows how much they really know about indmar and malibu.

If you are willing to make the call, you should contact tony davis at Waterski America in Dallas, TX. Tony has been the shop manager for well over 20 years and they do a lot more engine rebuilds that any boat dealer in houston (due to more freezing weather in Dallas.

Winter is the time to get this project done since most dealers are fairly slow right now.

It hink it would really be worth the call to get another opinion for a 20 years malibu/indmar vet. You can let him know that you talked with Murphy Smith about this...may help.

There number is 972 620 2377.

Thank you for this, I am actually living in dallas and have the boat in Houston right now so It's not a stretch to get work done in dallas, and yes I just (way to late) realized they are SMG now and not Dmoore? That might have something to do with it. The insurance adjustor is coming out tomorrow and if they deem they wont cover it (most likely scenario) my next step will be to contact water ski america. I will definitely drop your name.

SMG is Singleton Marine. A large dealer network for sure but if they've been around in other areas but not Houston and thats who's truning wrenches on your boat, doesn't do you much good! I'd talk to them about the labor they're charging for engine access and interior reinstall. That's stuff you could with a 6 pack and a 7/16" socket, just takes a while. Might be able to cut a few grand off. I woudl second that WSA has ridiculously good reputation. I'm many states away and I know of their reputation.

I could definitely take the engine out but since SMG was insistent they also retained the original block in order for the price to be as quoted i just didn't see much of a point in pulling it out just to drag the thing there. Honestly though its sounding like SMG is not the way to go If I'm paying the full bill on the motor (or even part of it