Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Perfect Pass do I need?

Woodshed

96 Echelon LX

I'm getting Perfect Pass this winter for my boat. I think I'm leaning towards Stargazer Wake Edition instead of 3 Event. Please recommend based on your experiences. Or if another system will be significantly less expensive but have nice performance??

I've been looking for a used system, but that seems difficult at best with me having to piece together the whole system from different places. It seems most used systems are for newer boats with Electronic Throttles.

So,, my skiing is as a very amateur slalom courser with friends with better skill than myself but not tournament goers. My boat is one of several used in our group of some really nice new boats. So, it's a practice boat with a bunch of middle aged guys practicing. It will never be used in a tournament.

Wake edition updates 5 times/second with GPS to the tenth MPH. I'm feeling that is perfectly adequate for us. 3 Event is much more accurate with the timer to calibrate to the 100th but seems overkill for the extra 150 bucks. I'm not a jumper or trick skier. The rest of our use is kids wakeboarding and knee boarding in open water.

So is 3 Event something I need or would benefit from? Is there other systems that would be better for me?

Thanks

Get the wake edition, I installed it last year, do some course skiing but also alot of free skiing, daughter and her boy friend wakeboard and tube. It is fine in the course, i also added the precision star speedo, got rid of both air guides. the speed on both is right on, cant complain about either. plus my wife says it is easier for her to pull me, speed is constant when i am skiing and pulling against the boat.You will be very pleased, worth every penny

I put in a used three event perfect pass system. I am very pleased with it as we ski the course and having the magnets at the bouys makes timing and speed much easier for the driver and skier.

The slalom edition uses boat rpm & timing to maintain speed. You can also adjust for rider weight and pull strength.

I think any pp system will bring smiles to everyone, but if you do start chasing bouys more you will probably wish you got the 3 event system.

One important note... Our course does not have any magnets in it. I suppose it could someday. With that being said, I was told the 3 Event can use the gps to mark the first bouy and the last and then when you drive through the course it can calibrate the speed from timing between those two known points to 100th of mph. I just don't know if us ameteurs would notice that precision. If it were ever necessary, the newer boats we have available would be used anyhow.

I'm pretty much sold on the Wake Edition because I think it's enough. The system components are all the same, so if I ever wanted to upgrade, PP can send you a memory stick, for the same added price, to download the 3 Event software. Wallaah,, you have 3 Event! So it's basically safer for me to just skimp now because I can always upgrade it.

Thanks all!

3 event does allow 3 courses to be mapped and will provide ABT (all buoy timing). As it has been explained to me in the past, and this could eb outdated as new software has come out for stargazer, the GPS speed signal is not what is used as its primary "input" when in slalom mode, it is still an RPM-based system. The system does use GPS speed input to approximate the appropriate RPM through a mapped course and once calibrated (which requires just one maybe 2 passes) the times you will get are exceptionally accurate. The parameters for adjusting the slalom pull are very nice. In my opinion, timing aside, the pull offerred by slalom mode is far better than that of speed from wakeboard mode. The reason is the system does not react as wuickly as zero off (in speed mode) so it takes a split second for the system to "catch up", this results is being gassed at teh buoy each time and then soft across the wake. Some may find it a rhythm-killing pull, although it is exacerbated depending on your skill. If everyone is at, say 34/15, probably no big deal. At 28, when you're really starting to "release" from the boat, its definitely noticebale, but its not like it'll make you fall, you'll just notice a different rhythm. For $150, I would absolutely get three event. Furthermore, should you ever want to get the zero off emulator, you will need 3 event anyway. That is the top of the line ppass system, not just 3 event, but prob not "needed" as bad as simple 3 event.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Think re-sale.

You general you have two types of people buying a direct drive:

#1: Buyer who wants an inboard but can't afford a V-drive. Not the buyer you want since they want to pay bottom dollar for your boat.

#2: Buyer that wants a direct drive because slalom is important to them.

You want the #2 buyer and guess which Perfect Pass that buyer wants. Simply put, you will get your money back (the whole couple hundred bucks more) come resale time.

http://www.skiertoskier.com/ has the best prices on Perfect Pass (looks like they make you submit as a member of a club...I'd call The Malibu Crew a "club" and get that significant discount).

Thanks all!

Nitrous: spoke to Max today at skiertoskier. Price is good.

He said same as 85barefoot. I need 3 Event!

Nitrous: resale points on being a slalomer...spot on!

Thanks guys! 3 Event on the way! Wagoo!