Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you protect your boats in the boathouse?

JoeA

All--

I have a boathouse and am wondering how you protect your boat from the sun and its effects beyond a boat cover. I just want to keep my boat in great condition.

We have a covered boathouse but the South side gets pounded with sun for a good part of the day in the Summer. I have always used a boat cover but am giving consideration to using some outdoor grade shades made by Coolaroo on the south side of the boathouse. I've also seen some outdoor grade curtains but they seem to be only 4' or so. I am open to any other ideas / suggestions that you have figure out over the course of time. If you have pictures I'd love to see what you have done.

Oh I didn't realize it wasn't from the back. Is the boathouse not fully enclosed except the back? I know our corps of engineers won't let you have boathouse docks anymore unless you are grandfathered in.

I can't find the company now, but I believe last year at the KC boat show there was a company that had a cover which would slide up and down a center rail. The center rail mounted directly over the boat, running lengthwise. The cover then slid down the rail and laid over the boat. I think it fastened in the back so wind wouldn't rip it up.

I was having the same issue with my dock as the sun was lower in the winter time my port side was getting sun during certain hours. I had extensions added to my existing cover that solved the problem. I had them made so they would be removable from the cover in the summer when the sun us higher and not an issue.

That looks interesting and would definitely address my question and what I am trying to accomplish. I just winder how difficult it would be to put on given the size of the cover. Has anybody else tried one of these? If so please share your experience.

This is the company he is referring to. http://www.worldsbestboatcover.com/MarineConcepts2/ I've been talking with them about getting a cover for our dock. They do not have a computer model of an 07 VLX though. So I guess we'll see how everything goes in the end.

Thanks! That is what I was thinking of. It looked pretty slick at the boat show, although I'm sure the price reflects that as well.

That looks interesting and would definitely address my question and what I am trying to accomplish. I just winder how difficult it would be to put on given the size of the cover. Has anybody else tried one of these? If so please share your experience.

Not hard at all. I do it by myself in just a few minutes. The trick is to roll it up,from the rear when taking it off. Putting it back on is just putting the nose over the bow and unrolling. Then go under it and put in the poles. It doesn't need anything to tie it down around the bottom, but it has an adjustable strap as well as sewn in loops.

This one is for sale if interested. Pm me if interested.

I see three options:

- Custom cover.

- Canvas boathouse covers or Touchless boat cover.

- Lighter transom color and lots of wax

If I had a lot of money and a new boat I would definitely go with the touchless cover. Just think how many times you ride in the morning, come in for lunch, then go back out in the evening. Then do it all over the next morning. It would be really nice to not have to throw a cover over the boat for those back to back days, and it still be protected from the elements. Throw the boat cover on and touchless cover down when you aren't going to go out for a day or two.

What is your boat house like? Does it have three hard sides and a roof, or is it just a roof? You might be able to just get a touchless rear canvas if you already have three sides of your boat protected.

My neighbor has a custom fabricated cover which is really really nice, I believe he paid $2500 for it.

87e402bd.jpg

I am currently working with a online dealer that has proposed a custom canopy frame that may also work for your needs. After shopping for some of the Canopy covers that are used on freestanding aluminum boats lifts , it seems that if you are somewhat handy you could get a small aluminum frame to attach to the boat house that you could attach material to in order to provide side coverage. I have been considering a few different lift options for my needs and with the design of some canopy frames use on the aluminum lake lifts it seems that you could pretty easily customize them for use on a boat house. Just an idea, I would like to hear what direction you take. As for myself I want to stay away from the hassle of putting a boat cover on as much as possible.

I see three options:

- Custom cover.

- Canvas boathouse covers or Touchless boat cover.

- Lighter transom color and lots of wax

If I had a lot of money and a new boat I would definitely go with the touchless cover. Just think how many times you ride in the morning, come in for lunch, then go back out in the evening. Then do it all over the next morning. It would be really nice to not have to throw a cover over the boat for those back to back days, and it still be protected from the elements. Throw the boat cover on and touchless cover down when you aren't going to go out for a day or two.

What is your boat house like? Does it have three hard sides and a roof, or is it just a roof? You might be able to just get a touchless rear canvas if you already have three sides of your boat protected.

My neighbor has a custom fabricated cover which is really really nice, I believe he paid $2500 for it.

87e402bd.jpg

The dock is covered and held up with 6x6 pilings. The sides are open and that's where I am trying to filter the sun's rays from tackling the boat's finish. I tried uploading a picture but the size limit was only 200kb. I'll try to figure out how to get a picture so that everybody can see what I am talking about.

Here is a link to the picture, maybe better luck that way. A local canvas guy did a completely custom boat cover....and I wouldn't recommend black as your cover if your boat is in the sun a lot.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/joeprunc/87e402bd.jpg

If you can put canvas sides up on your boat house, I would recommend doing that and having a standard cover on. Is like having double protection, especially when it rains or is really windy. Its also really really nice not to have to worry about covering and uncovering your boat every time you want to use it.

All--

I priced a touchless cover which are really cool. Pricing for for a 23' boat is roughly $4,500. I'm leaning towards installing a few Coolaroo shades since they are easy to install and reasonably priced. I may also try finding somebody local to sew up some type of UV filtering fabric that can be pulled open or closed like a drape.

Any other ideas?