Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Euro Skier Upgrades

Levi900RR

OK all... Due to some recently developments in life I've decided to keep the Skier one more year. I do want to make a few upgrades this year so it is in tip top shape to sell.

Gauges - mine are pretty fogged, what do you all suggest for replacements?

Trailer - I'm going to sand blast and repaint the trailer. Any ideas for upgrades? I'm thinking all new LED lights for sure.

Stereo - Not going crazy, just something that actually works. What should an older Ski boat have for a stereo?

Steering Wheel and Shifter - I love the Isotta but man are they $$$

Edited by Levi900RR

I have Faria gauges in my Sunsetter that rugger put in. I like them. They are white faced and look good in the dash. I've replaced both speedos (PP and my homemade speedo) so if you need some speedos your welcome to them. I've been meaning to throw them in the classifieds but haven't got to it.

If you want super schweet ones....check out Autometer.

They match these....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faria-Stainless-White-Outboard-4-Gauge-Set-Tachometer-Speedometer-Fuel-Volt-/330855144971?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4d0880de0b&vxp=mtr

Keep an eye out for Isottas on ebay. I checked everyday for two months before I found mine.

I'm going to put runway lights on my trailer this year. I'll see if I can't talk my buddy into making a kit for it. :) I upgraded my trailer to LED tails and disk brakes. Money well spent! Check out Pacific Trailer for disk brake conversions.

You don't need to replace your gauges, just sand them. My old Euro F3 had horrible looking gauges so I went to auto zone and bought a headlight de-fogging kit. It's a series of wet sanding and polish for the plastic that covers the gauge. When I was done they looked brand new. I think the kit cost $8.

@MA: I would be intereseted in the Airguide speedos if that is what you have "left over".

@Levi: not sure how deep you want to go, but I redid my dash when I added an Accuski speed control, so I made one and then installed a 4-1 Beede gauge to replace (fuel/oil pressure/water temp/volts). I really liked that upgrade. I wanted to keep the 2 Airguides with the speed control gauge so the 4-1 is on one side and the Accuski unit on the other with the 2 speedo's flanking the tach. I am actually planning on selling the Accuski and upgrading it to a PP only because the users don't know how to operate the Accuski. Steering wheel, I am considering a mod myself, the Matrix wheels look pretty good in the pictures, they are also pretty $ friendly (anybody have experience with them?).

Momo looks pretty good on an older Skier I think. My original Malibu wheel was starting to rust. I had to make an adapter on my lathe for the Momo but it was pretty basic and easy.

On the trailer, just replacing the carpet can make a difference in looks (and it's easy).

I like the original gauges on my old Skier, but two of them were non-op. I didn't want mis-matched gauges. After looking long and hard for several months I found original gauges on ebay. Looks good. Kind of like an old '68 Mustang just looks right with its original wheels rather than 22's with spinners....

post-19592-0-21103400-1358827664_thumb.j

post-19592-0-15317600-1358827680_thumb.j

@MA: I would be intereseted in the Airguide speedos if that is what you have "left over".

@Levi: not sure how deep you want to go, but I redid my dash when I added an Accuski speed control, so I made one and then installed a 4-1 Beede gauge to replace (fuel/oil pressure/water temp/volts). I really liked that upgrade. I wanted to keep the 2 Airguides with the speed control gauge so the 4-1 is on one side and the Accuski unit on the other with the 2 speedo's flanking the tach. I am actually planning on selling the Accuski and upgrading it to a PP only because the users don't know how to operate the Accuski. Steering wheel, I am considering a mod myself, the Matrix wheels look pretty good in the pictures, they are also pretty $ friendly (anybody have experience with them?).

Wood, do you have a pic of your dash?

I hate to hijack this thread but when all is said and done, if someone has a still has a set of Airguide speedo's I would be really interested in them. Both the of one's in my Sunsetter are in bad shape internally.

Edited by LS-One

Wow, that one is nice and pretty reasonable...

I thought so, I book marked it thinking I may order one when I get more motivated in spring.

Not sure, here is the text from the website... Note: This wheel includes it's own hub for use with a 3/4" tapered shaft and will not mount onto any custom hubs or adapters.

Yeah I read that... wondering how big my steering shaft is. I'm thinking about going down and taking my dash out this weekend so I can work on it in my basement. I'll bring a calliper and see whats up.

Our older boats use a three bolt (smaller bolts) to bolt the wheel on and then a large center nut that presses the wheel onto the taper shaft. I used a golf cart steering wheel adapter since golf carts use the same set-up as our boats. The blinged out golf carts are popular and throwing a 5 bolt wheel on them is very common. I was going to buy this wheel with adapter if I didn't find my legit Isotta for a decent price. I ended up buying a separate golf cart wheel adapter since my Isotta didn't come with one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F818-14-steering-wheel-w-adapter-for-84-and-UP-CLUB-CAR-GOLF-CART-/261106329560?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccb2667d8&vxp=mtr

Man that thing looks pretty cool, I'm not sure the chrome would fit in on my boat though... Are you saying if I find one that fits a club car golf cart it should bolt right onto my steering shaft?

EDIT: I just looked at it again. If that thing will work without much modification I may hit buy it now!

Edited by Levi900RR

To fit the momo to my Malibu took a bit of work. As Martin said there's a three bolt (to the wheel) boss that fits down onto the shaft, with a large center nut holding the boss onto the shaft. As I recall, the shaft is tapered with a key rather than splined, but I can't be positive off the top of my head.

Basically, I put the boss in the lathe and got a flat mating surface for the Momo adapter I had (which happened to be alfa romeo...) and the Malibu boss. With flat mating surfaces I drilled the Momo adapter with three bolt locations so the Momo adapter bolted up nicely on center to the Malibu boss. This is probably more work than most people want to go through. Probably easier to buy the golf cart upgrade wheel.......

Edited by CliffB

Man that thing looks pretty cool, I'm not sure the chrome would fit in on my boat though... Are you saying if I find one that fits a club car golf cart it should bolt right onto my steering shaft?

EDIT: I just looked at it again. If that thing will work without much modification I may hit buy it now!

That's right! Do it! :)

Cliff's memory is right - it's a taper shaft with a key (no splines).

I'm going to be down by the boat this weekend. Going to grab the dash pannel and steering wheel off it... Then I'll start ordering some stuff.

Last two questions. I'm thinking of setting up a decent stereo. I'm thinking a decent head unit, 4 nice cabin speakers and 1 amp to power them. Any recomendations? Keep in mind I want to keep the budget down...

Also, is it worth adding Perfect Pass? I'd love that but not sure I'll get any money back on it.

• 2 months later...