Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ultimate Ski/Wakeboard Inventory?

FijiRob

What equipment do you use when you teach newbies on your boat for their first ski and/or wakeboarding experience? My ski and wakeboard pretty much only fit me and my wife has a single ski for her. But I'm wondering what equipment would be good to have on the boat for beginners of all sizes....without spending a ton of cash.

We have a 67" O'Brien World Team with an adjustable front binding and a rear toe strap for beginning skiers to use. I learned on it before moving to my Connelly F3. Its a pretty decent ski until you really start to cut and pull through the wake. On the good side, it is incredibly easy to get out of the water on it. For $200 its one of the cheaper slalom skis out there too.

Pat

What equipment do you use when you teach newbies on your boat for their first ski and/or wakeboarding experience? My ski and wakeboard pretty much only fit me and my wife has a single ski for her. But I'm wondering what equipment would be good to have on the boat for beginners of all sizes....without spending a ton of cash.

Most of the time I just share my normal equipment with those who are learning. However, in the case where mine is customized, expensive, fragile or doesn't fit the intended user I usually have older stuff on board for their use. As we buy more stuff for my wife we usually end up with a larger version for me and a smaller version for her so one of them should fit close enough for a beginner. If the person isn't a beginner then they usually bring their own equipment.

My only serious concern is my wakeboard. I don't want someone with huge feet stretching my bindings. Such a person could end up on an VERY OLD board with sandal bindings....

I carry the normal combo skis that get used maybe once a year. Beginner skiers and beginner slalom skiers both get stuck on them.....

It isn't an issue for the barefooters. :-) (Actually it is. We have my Men's XL and my wife's size 10 barefoot suit. Those learning get to fit in whichever is closest...)

Jeff/AirChair1

Men: my HL Belmont 141" and HL Splits XL - every male on my boat's been able to fit in this - not perfect, but it's worked. I'm 6' 190#

Women: HL Element(?) 131" and LF Minx S bindings. 99% of all women have fit in this. CFO's 5'7" 120#

Kids: HL Kids Unite 121" and HL Splits Mini's. Every kids fit in these. There's smaller bindings out there, and I'll probably end up with some this season. But all our kids have fit in this, except out 5 year old. And this is the first season he's 'talking' about getting in the water. We'll see.

If they don't fit in any of those, oh well. Haven't had a problem though. I've got many more PFD's to fit different body sizes though. :) Being prepared on a boat that seats 14 takes a lot of 'em.

I let them use my old equipment if they are just starting out. 97 Hyperlite Fluid 137 with Hyperlite Moon boots. Pretty easy to ride with big fins for stability.

Edited by wakeace

I second the comment on wakeboard bindings. I used to let everyone use my board and bindings, but the bindings were getting stretched out. I have HL 30/60's which fits my size 10 feet just fine. I started cringing seeing some guy stuffing his size 13's in my bindings. My solution was to buy some HL Spins, standard size, and put them on an old forgiving board, and that became the 'boat board'. I still let some people use my board and bindings, but they have to have a similar sized foot and I have to trust them. My daughter took a very hard stand on her bindings: no one else puts their feet in them.

I have a World Comp combo set for skiing, but to tell you the truth, I don't use them much. None of the kids want to learn how to ski. They either want to wakeboard or tube.

I keep a pair of combos around for newbies.

I also have a Suspect that I've taught a ton of people to ride on. Trouble is I don't have a wide enough range of bindings for it so I end up bumming some from buds once in a whiel.