Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon running hot at Idle.

I have a 03 VLX with the 340 monsoon. It's running hot at idle. Has a new thermostat and changed the impeller 4 months ago. Just started running hot at idle the last couple of time we've been out on the water. Runs at 161 at full speed, but when at idle it starts going up slowly. I get a few warning beeps at 170, then goes into limp mode at 180. I'll shut it off, let cool for 15 minutes, then it's fine as long as I keep going fast. I guessing it's the water pump. Anyone ever have this problem.

i'd check the trans cooler for debris and if it's clear replace the impeller, again, to see if that helps.

that impeller replacement is a ton less work than the water pump and if it's not the cure then you will have a spare impeller for the toolbox.

edit: post #2 just didn't register. my bad.

Edited by tvano

Just pop the hose off and stick your finger in there to see if there's debri on the screen. If there is alot (weeds) then pop it off down by the impeller to make sure there isn't still some down stream.. Better safe than sorry... If there's any chunks of rubber, it's your impeller :( now that will need replaced as well... Good luck.

Pulled the hose off and sure enough, the bottom of the trans cooler was packed with chunks of rubber from a bad impeller from 2 years ago. Cleaned it all out as well as the hose and it should be good to go. I checked the current impeller and it's in perfect condition. I never knew to check that area for debris. Y'all saved me a ton of stress. What could have been a major headache turned into a super easy quick fix. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have a 350 monsoon with the same problem I have done everything you have done. New impeller, pulled the seaweed from transcooler. But I haven't replaced the thermostat. Should I try that next?

Thanks