Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exile Mini Hybrid Set Up... thoughts?

DylanR

Ok I'm very familiar with Exile and their great products, as I have ordered many things from them and they are the best period... XM9's on my old boat and now XM7's on my new one.

I call it the mini hybrid set up as this set up is lacking the extra pair of SXT to go along with the other SXT and XM7.

Currently I have one pair of XM7's on a 800.4 bridged... sounds great for just a single pair set up... plenty loud at wake length... I was really looking at adding a pair of SXT to the tower to add a little more mid-bass around the boat and I was curious if at wake length around 65-70ft would I gain sound there as well?... (even though I take the amp off bridge mode)... to where each speaker gets 200w.

Primarily the goal is the gain a little bit more sound at wake length while gaining a good bit of mid-bass around the boat... thoughts?

For more mid-bass, just swap the 6.5's out for the 8". In 4 chnl mode with a single 4 ohm speaker p/chnl, that amp delivers about 75w RMS x 4 @ 4 ohm, not 200W RMS. In 2 chnl mode as you are running it now, the speakers are getting about 250W rms. And no, you will not gain any mid-bass at the 65-70 ft distance with a single set of 6.5 coax. Near-field, the 6.5 coax will improve the mid-bass output, but will not reach as low as a larger driver.

I'm not looking for mid bass at wake level just a little better sound... would only be looking for a midbass gain at boat level... trying to see if by adding the SXT it would create a happy medium between the single XM7's and running all four XM7's on the tower. Which I may do but I am comfortable not being that loud (4 XM7's) with this set up.

Edited by DylanR

Coaxials will not add to the wake-range volume as easily as adding a 2nd pair of HLCD's, but you must maintain about the same power to each. Reconfiguring your current amp from 2 chnl mode driving a single pair of speakers to 4 chnl mode driving 2 pair, would be a step backwards in net power to each speaker. This would result in a drop in your current wake-range volume. You would need to either add another amp or change to a 2 chnl amp sufficient power.

While I'm not great with the technical side of amps... it is difficult for me to realize that the Exile 800.4 amp can only supply 75w to each 4 tower speakers?

I have always just amp according to Brian's guidelines but we haven't gotten that indepth with this set up yet... and not sure it would even be a recommendation... I am just trying to look at what I currently have and how I can improve on that. While also taking a look at all the options I have that i need to consider before going ahead with my next order.

Edited by DylanR

DylanR,

What I'm sharing here is just technical and is independent of any brand or any stated specifications. This information is generally universal.

Ohm's Law would dictate that you will double your power at half the resistance and half the power at double the resistance. However, you have a limiter in the form of a power supply between the audio section of any amplifier and the supply potential. So typically there is compression and in reality a 25to 40 percent loss of power when you double the resistance.

An amplifier bridged into a 4-ohm load will deliver the near identical power as the stereo operation into a 2-ohm load. And, a 4-ohm stereo load will result in a 25 to 40 percent loss of power as compared to a 2-ohm stereo load. As a result, when applied to the tower, you will commonly find a 4-channel amplifier bridged to drive one pair of speakers and a 2-channel amplifer to drive two pair of speakers.

There are exceptions but this is where most find cost-effectiveness in their amplifier choice and packaging.

Then you are mixing an HLCD with a conventional speaker. They do have different response curves but also very different peak output levels.

The different response curves of contrasting speakers may provide you with a change in the near field tonal balance. The increase in speaker surface area and the decrease in the power to each speaker are somewhat offsetting and will not net you much if anything from a distance projection standpoint.

So digest the above statements and this should help with your plan.

David

I have a pair of Pro-80's and a pair of SXT's on my tower. Adding SXT's will not help your 80 foot sound at all, but the surf and in boat sound will certainly change.

I hear a pair of Westsounds running beside a pair of Exiles gives the best Feng Shui at wake length. :whistle:

After further thoughts and keeping it simple... I was thinking of these options...

1. Keep my current XM7's bridged on 800.4

2. Move to four XM7's on the 800.4 (will there be any gain at wake length 65-70ft?)

3. Go to four SXT with a Harpoon (Any gain over the one pair bridged XM7's on the 800.4?)

4. Ditch the pair of XM7's and move up to a pair of XM9's on the bridged 800.4

I wanted to get four speakers up on the tower to fill up the tower but it's not a must... I am about 80% satisfied with the current sound with the bridged 800.4 to one pair of XM7's but looking for just a little bit more.

1) stays the same, no change near-field or at wake-range.

2) no gain at wake range as you are reducing the overall power to the tower, and just more of the same at surf range and in the boat.

3) not much at wake range, but a warmer sound near-field from 4 6.5" coax as opposed to a single pair of 6.5 HLCD's

4) Given that you already have the 4 chnl amp installed, this will be the best option. Its as simple as loosening the thumb bolt, pull off the 6.5 and install the 8" speakers, then re-tune the amp. You will retain wake-range projection and add some depth and warmth near-field.

DylanR,

I understand the desire to fill the tower but I have to recommend the best cost/performance route.

So #4 if you want to have a good balance of all things. Why? Because you would get the most from your existing amplifier bridged into this particualr load. And, when you increase the size of any speaker for more surface area and increase the size of the pod, there is nothing more positive than that for having a warmer speaker and a louder (greater projection) speaker.

Now if you wanted to prioritize near field only or minimum hang height or filling the tower then #3 has merit.

#2 doubles speaker surface area but reduces the collective power. Not exactly a wash but not near the upside.

Pretty basic conclusions and independent of brand I would say.

David

DylanR,

The owners manual might state a fullrange frequency response with either a lowpass or bypass crossover selection but no highpass setting. Fullrange would be rare for a monoblock. So I am going to recommend that you go straight to the manufacturer to verify this.

If not, then a second bridged 4-channel would be fine.

David

#4 with minimal change but not what you want...

The 250.1 is a sub amp I believe so can't use that :(. ( I only say this because it states hooking to a "woofer". There are no true specs on this website?)

What about changing brands for the amp? If not, than your limited to the harpoon or another 800.4.

You can run two 800.4's to your mini hybrid? Or one harpoon. Those would juice em up nicely?

Edited by Truekaotik

After talking to Brian and figuring out exactly what I wanted to achieve with this set up... I ended up ordering an additional 800.4 with another pair of XM7's...

bi amping the setup would deliver more than required power to each pair of XM7. This means i'd have more power on tap. Versus, pushing a single amplifier hard. In the double 800.4 setup, id be driving the amplifiers much less hard. This means less heat, less compression. less work.... The advantage of the dynamic range will really show by bi amping with the 800.4... and the music will really benefit from it.... The biggest reason to go this route is I already own one 800.4.....

this was the best all around option for me and I'm excited to see how it turns out.