Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rev 8's vs xm9

Ldog21

I have an 09 vlx with an illusion Xs tower. Nothing on it as of yet and was debating between the rev 8's with the syn 4 amp and the xm9 with harpoon amp. Both sets are the same price. I am just looking for one pair now with the possibility of another pair in the future. I am nervous that the bigger speaker in the xm9 with leave me with that much less headroom. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks

I can't speak for the Rev 8's however I have a XM9 powered with a Harpoon setup with another set of tower surf speakers powred seperatley and they ROCK. Love the way they sound. Good from the line and sounds great when just sitting listening.

I say XM9s, Have them and have heard both. Also you can rotate two on each side with out disconnecting one. Most people compare the XM9s to the Rev10s I don't know if I have ever heard them compared to the rev 8s but it will be interesting to see what the wetsound fans say.

Never any problems for me. It is a nice setup you can tighten with a allen wrench not sure if it is the same with the rev8s but someone will let you know.

You can but a kit for the revs for like 50-75$. If you end up liking the rev8s better. I wouldn't look at the swiveling as a bad thing never heard anyone say they had a problem with it. For most it is a must so you can angle them up a little to keep the sound down some in the boat.

I did not know you could do that for the revs. Thanks for the input. Before this post I was leaning towards the revs, now maybe the other way. I guess I will wait for a few wet sounds guys to chime in.

I have heard both and the XM9's have a warmer mid base, sound to me, they hit really hard and you can feel that from a distance, The rev 8's sounded good I just prefer the sound of the 9's Also love the quick release mounts, had to pull them off a few times to dodge a Thunder storm, Took less the 5 minutes and I have 6 of them, I have had this kinda of mounts for over 15 years, Never had a problem at all.. 523949_428857893794837_216951048318857_1

Edited by Wakesetter67

Yes you must listen for yourself... The Revs are the best speaker on the market right now... Nothing sounds like them... Youll hear... Do your homework... They both can swivel and the Revs have quick disconnect. There is no comparison between the syn4 and a harpoon. The Syn wins hands down... Way better power management which means increased play time for one.. It will boil down to your personal preference... No one here can make your decision.... Good luck and demo both before pulling the trigger...

Edited by Truekaotik

The Revs are the best speaker on the market right now... Nothing sounds like them... There is no comparison between the syn4 and a harpoon. The Syn wins hands down... It will boil down to your personal preference... No one here can make your decision.... :rofl:

Chevy is better than Ford hands down now what do you what to drive. :Tease3:

Truekaotik as I said before people compare the Rev10s to the XM9s. Are you saying the rev8s are comparable too or are you just a wet sound fan. :whistle:

Bradley - I am going to politely disagree with you on your statement.

A 6.5" performs differently than an 8" and an 8" performs differently than a 10" It is not accurate to compare a 8" speaker to a 10" speaker. Same concept applied to a 12" woofer versus a 15" woofer.

It would be like comparing a queen size bed to a king size size bed, a short bed truck to a long bed truck or a minivan to a full size van.

The OP needs to go and listen...every speaker sounds different and every ear hears differently. All the options are good ones

Please don't turn this into a "Murphy is a fan of WS".

Bradly.. I disagree and it shows who's brainwashed buddy... I don't know where you get "people" compare the xm9 to a rev10 but from exile guys... Did you know the xm9 is a 8" driver? Before I start getting bashed again by fanboys, please read up on product... That's just a start to the VAST differences in tech.... Not trying to offend anyone but atleast know the products.. :)

Chevy is better than Ford hands down now what do you what to drive. :Tease3:

Truekaotik as I said before people compare the Rev10s to the XM9s. Are you saying the rev8s are comparable too or are you just a wet sound fan. :whistle:

The Model-X and Model-Y are both an 8" HLCD driver. Model-Z is a 10" HLCD driver. Would you compare an F150 gaser to a Chevy 2500 Duramax in towing performance?

I can line up a dozen 10" woofers from various companies and measure their diameter in the same fashion and there will be some slight differences. But at the end of the day, they are ALL in the 10" sub-woofer class. So if ones 8" HLCD is slightly larger then 8", by lets say .375", its still in the 8" group. It would not be a fair comparison to compare it to the larger 10".

Edited by MLA

I was just poking for fun and it worked. :cheers:

Hehe good one :) cheers as well then... I wasn't trying to be mean but there are serious differences between the two.. When Exile comes out with a good product, I will have no problem backing it or comparing apples to apples :) ... Just my .02

Well thanks to all of the .02 replies. That is what I asked for. Should let you all know that I decided on two pair of the exile sxt65 with harpoon amp and the zone controller. After talking with Brian from exile I decided this was the best option for me. Because I am not on a huge lake and don't want to piss off the neighbors too bad, I thought the quality of the surf speakers is better when sipping on cocktails in the boat which is what happens 50% of the time and the other is split between wake boarding and surfing. I figured I don't need the projection of the horns....yet!

• Like 1

Nothing like a good old fashion informed decision. he did his homework and found something that works for him, and decided. I have heard many systems, been doing this along time, WS Makes great stuff, Exile Makes great stuff, I can go on and on, The best advice was given, Ask for peoples opinions, which I found very helpful in narrowing it down, Then if Possible take a listen, Last year I heard a full WS Boat Go By, and it sounded awesome, Then at the dock the guy came up to me and just raved about my Exile system, 2 Quality company's that gives us lots of choices, And good competition just means better products for all of us to choose from!!

• Like 2

Yes you must listen for yourself... The Revs are the best speaker on the market right now... Nothing sounds like them... Youll hear... Do your homework... They both can swivel and the Revs have quick disconnect. There is no comparison between the syn4 and a harpoon. The Syn wins hands down... Way better power management which means increased play time for one.. It will boil down to your personal preference... No one here can make your decision.... Good luck and demo both before pulling the trigger...

Posts like this is what caused issues in the stereo form some time ago, easy does it with the strong brand opinions man and as you said no one here can make your decision so why do you have to tell the guy brand x is far superior to brand y then? But being a newer member to the crew perhaps you dont know the challenges that we faced.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe the quality is in the tune with a Oscilloscope. I have 3 pairs of rev 10's on an illusion x tower and you can forget about head room. Both ws and exile are great speakers but one has more chrome on the grill than the other.

• Like 2

I believe the quality is in the tune with a Oscilloscope. I have 3 pairs of rev 10's on an illusion x tower and you can forget about head room. Both ws and exile are great speakers but one has more chrome on the grill than the other.

One Rev10 for every dog that you have pictured in your Avator.

Are those all you dog's? That takes one strong vaccum cleaner!