Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Scarpa Suppression Plate (SSP) on Response

1FootDan

Hi, I would like some info on the Scarpa Suppression Plate (SSP) from those who have one on their boat. I've just upgraded my 99 Sportster (4sale by the way...Click here for photos) and bought a new 2006 Respose closed bow with the 320 LCR and ordered the SSP. I would like to have some info on how to adjust it. I've seen a couple of places on the web and the plate bend varie from 3/32 of an inch to 3/8 of an inch. I would like to now from you who have the SSP, what the bend in the place is, your engine, your boat info, prop info and top end speed? The summer is short in Canada and I would really appreciate more skiing then plate adjusting if you know what I mean... :)

Dan, I previously owned a Rlxi and I really think that each person has different preferences. If you follow Scarpa's guide lines you will be very close. You could also call down there as well and ask. 800-292-foot

Dan,

I use the ssp on my 01 Response. I ended up not going all the way down to the 3/32. Top end has been somewhat of an issue for me. The more you crank down the plate the more top end you'll lose. Currently 45 mph is about it so when the boat gets loaded down heavily it becomes an issue. I'm running the monsoon 325 with an Acme 449.

Edit: I have the Acme 449 not 445

Edited by Tom Sawyer

Hey Dan!

Mibarefooter and TS are absolutely right, I also played with the plate alot and found out that Scarpa's specifications will give you the best results. One thing I was never able to correct was a sharp hard lip at the crest on the starbhoard side, I could never get it as smooth as the the other crest on the port side.

Check out this thread by TS

Hi, I would like some info on the Scarpa Suppression Plate (SSP) from those who have one on their boat. I've just upgraded my 99 Sportster (4sale by the way...Click here for photos) and bought a new 2006 Respose closed bow with the 320 LCR and ordered the SSP. I would like to have some info on how to adjust it. I've seen a couple of places on the web and the plate bend varie from 3/32 of an inch to 3/8 of an inch. I would like to now from you who have the SSP, what the bend in the place is, your engine, your boat info, prop info and top end speed? The summer is short in Canada and I would really appreciate more skiing then plate adjusting if you know what I mean... :)

3/8" originally, although my brother does most of the adjusting now. We like the plate and swap it with the Wedge regularly (one week SSP, one week Wedge).

Specs: 2005 LSV. Hammerhead with stock prop. We have plenty of top speed @ about 52MPH WOT.

I would love to have a V-drive barefoot boat. My wife would like it too.

Same here.

Although after seeing the price tags on the LSVs at the boat show, Shocking.gif I don't see it happening.

Roger how is the wake on the LSV? Is it good? I would love to have a V-drive barefoot boat. My wife would like it too.

The wake is better than we thought. It's down right good with the SSP on. We run a 10' extension on a 75' line and get behind the prop wash. The LSV started as a compromise boat. We had a FlightCraft and a Sea Ray, both of which needed to be replaced. We looked @ the direct drive XTI, but loved the lounge space of the LSV. It could not have turned out better. Obviously not as small a wake as the flightCraft, but little kids don't fall out of an LSV.

I have a 2000 Response closed bow with the Hammerhead 365. I started with my plate at 3/32". It works pretty well there. I lost 2 or 3 mph top end. Without the plate GPS top speed was about 52, and with the plate at 3/32" it is about 49. I have adjusted it down more and did not see much improvement in the wake, but lost more speed.

I can tell quite a bit of difference in long line back deep starts with the plate on. The wake has much less turbulence, and is a bit more flat. The only real negative effect is the boat noses down a bit more causing side spray to hit the footer at lower speeds on the boom. We had a clinic last year and Keith St Onge hated the extra side spray! He didn't say much, but it is pretty funny seeing the dirty look he gives the spray in the video we shot of him footing. Surprised.gif

There is no way an inboard will ever have as good a wake for footing as the outboard barefoot boats. I would still have my Flightcraft if the Merc wasn't such a piece of junk. It blew up twice, so after the second rebuild it found a new home. Great boat, crappy motor.

I have a 2000 Response closed bow with the Hammerhead 365. I started with my plate at 3/32". It works pretty well there. I lost 2 or 3 mph top end. Without the plate GPS top speed was about 52, and with the plate at 3/32" it is about 49. I have adjusted it down more and did not see much improvement in the wake, but lost more speed.

I can tell quite a bit of difference in long line back deep starts with the plate on. The wake has much less turbulence, and is a bit more flat. The only real negative effect is the boat noses down a bit more causing side spray to hit the footer at lower speeds on the boom. We had a clinic last year and Keith St Onge hated the extra side spray! He didn't say much, but it is pretty funny seeing the dirty look he gives the spray in the video we shot of him footing. Surprised.gif

There is no way an inboard will ever have as good a wake for footing as the outboard barefoot boats. I would still have my Flightcraft if the Merc wasn't such a piece of junk. It blew up twice, so after the second rebuild it found a new home. Great boat, crappy motor.

Bottom line , do you guys think the SSP is worth it? :unsure: On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you guys rate the wake for barefooting with and without the SSP? Please specify your boat and engine if not already done. Dontknow.gif

Bottom line , do you guys think the SSP is worth it? :unsure: On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you guys rate the wake for barefooting with and without the SSP? Please specify your boat and engine if not already done. Dontknow.gif

Dan!

I had a '97 Response LX with the Monsoon engine. The answer to your question is a big YES!... and I would rate the wake twice as good with the SSP plate then with out it. I am not as good skier as the rest of the guys here so you might want to hear what they have to say.

Hope this will help. :)

YES get the plate. You will see a big difference. It will level the wake out and define it more. It should make it look like a V coming out of the back of the boat.

Yes..the plate is a must have for the serious footer. Also, if you still have the chance, I would seriously consider the Hammerhead option.

Yes..the plate is a must have for the serious footer. Also, if you still have the chance, I would seriously consider the Hammerhead option.

Ditto on the Hammerhead.

It's too late for the HammerHead. My boat is out of production. I don't now about you guys in the states, but here in Canada the hammerhead is a 4.5K$ upgrade! Yuk.gif That it why I stook with the 320 LCR. I figured that my 310 carb in my Sportster did the job so the extra 10HP from the LCR would compensate for the extra 200lbs of the Response... but I didn't think about the drag from the SSP. Oh well, nothing I can do now except cross my fingers, wait for the ice to melt and hope I get enough top speed. Will keep you posted in spring (mid may were I ski...). Rockon.gif