Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Fat Man" ski

G-Mack

My buddies and I are going to relive our teens this year and start slalom skiing. I have gotten lazy and am thinking of a wide body ski. Any feedback would be appreciated... We will not be running the course and skiing any length off.. Just want to cruise and make some cuts and repeat.

Don't go with a wide body ski......if you were a decent skier when you were younger you'll feel really lazy on a wide body.... Pick a ski which will make you work, and work harder...you'll feel challenged and energized by it.

The HP series from Connelly is a good mid-range ski which is pretty forgiving and responsive, and they're on sale right now through the Connelly site: http://store.connellyskis.com/c/skis_performance-series Worth a look.

Great to hear you're going to get back to skiing. It's a hoot if you can find some flat water....which may be a lot more difficult than when you were younger. .

I have a Triumph I used to star slalom skiing. It is wider and makes starts easier, but was still a lot of fun and got me into course skiing. I don;t use it anymore since I bought a Radar. Let me know if you interested in it. I'd rather someone get some use out of it than it hang in the rack in the garage.

ohhhh, i thought this was going to be pictures of Santa Claus water skiing, doesn't seem like Christmas without them.

need some of those Pac NW guys to post away... although I have the girth covered not enough white hair yet.

Take a look at HO Comp Freeride and Triumph as well. I agree with the earlier comments a "fat man" ski like the Connelly Big Daddy is a pretty lazy ski. I have one just for giggles.

:plus1:

If you're skiing under 30 mph, I'd go with the appropriate-for-weight Freeride. Great skis for recreational use. I moved up to

a Triumph, and I love it, but I had to bump my speed up to 32 mph and cut the rope length back to 15 off to fully appreciate it.

Unlike the Freeride, the Triumph wants to be on edge all the time (on glassy water, for instance, whenever I take a few seconds

to rest, cruising just outside the wake, the ski will pop back and forth between edges; the bottom contour of the Freeride, on

the other hand, is designed so that its perfectly happy to ride in a neutral position).

I've heard good things about Radar Theory as well, but I haven't had an opportunity to try one out.

need some of those Pac NW guys to post away... although I have the girth covered not enough white hair yet.

Hey, I feel your pain, I've got the hair color too! Lol..... I've been off the water for 12 years. This

summer is going to be my comeback from an unplaned sabbatical. I have an old Connely Hook, should be interesting how things will pan out, used to be a very aggressive skier. Now I'm hoping to just be able to get up for a burn.

:footing:

Hey, I feel your pain, I've got the hair color too! Lol..... I've been off the water for 12 years. This

summer is going to be my comeback from an unplaned sabbatical. I have an old Connely Hook, should be interesting how things will pan out, used to be a very aggressive skier. Now I'm hoping to just be able to get up for a burn.

:footing:

I have a Connelly Concept (hot 90s colours) and a Duval..... both match my high school weight (180)... I rode the Connelly this summer and it was a still a fun ride just more work than I remember :)... current weight 220...ish

My early 20's prime was 190lbs, now striving to get to at least 115lbs for 2013. sitin at 225 down

from 237 summer 2012. Boy what a battle to get here but well wourth it! Feeling much healther.

Started back on my mountain bike in the summer, now with the nice weather "LOL" hittin the pool

twise a week. Oh and eating right, thats a tough one.

. :cheers:

Edited by Dare2goBare
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Connelly Concept (hot 90s colours) and a Duval..... both match my high school weight (180)... I rode the Connelly this summer and it was a still a fun ride just more work than I remember :)... current weight 220...ish

G-Mack

The key to getting up easier is the width at the tail of the ski...the wider the tail, the easier to get up on....

if you get a dual concave ski like the HO Free Ride series it will be forgiving and wont feel like it is always hunting for an edge in the water like s single concave ski does...

given your weight you will want a 69" Challenger skied above 32mph probably more like 34-36 or the 71" Magnum if you want to ski slower...

This is a VERY forgiving series of skis from HO and you can find some out there on Craigslist or Ski-it-Again for a song...

ho_comp_freeride_all__26268.1278523306.1

You could also find yourself a pair of Clincher Gloves (not made anymore under that name) and it escapes me who is making them now....but they will certainly help you if your weight to strength ratio is not what it use to be....

JUST MY .02 worth...

Masterline pro locks are the same design as the old clinchers. Radar vice gloves are similar. While the do give you more grip strength they can also get hung up a little in certain handles. Just make sure to use a handle with thick covers over the "V" that extend to the handle and you should be ok.