Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tstat replacement

SuperchargedC6

I am trying to replace the thermostat in my 05 vlx. The clearance between the housing and the intake is too short to fit a socket. Are you guys removing the intake to get to this? If so, will i need to get a new gasket for the intake?

I would go ahead and pull the Plenum. It's just the six allen bolts that you see from the top. you RARELY damage the gasket. They are rubber and usually stay on the plenum side of the connection. Just remove the 6 bolts and give it a gentle pull to move it to the side . You shouldn't need to completely remove it for the thermostat, although NOW would be a great time to replace your cap and rotor at the other end of the Plenum. Remember you have a throttle assembly at the other end of the cover. Just setting it to the side typically works well. But don't be afraid to disconnect the throttle and set it completely out of the way.

Usually they come loose pretty easy but occasionally they act kind of stuck and take a little whack on the side with a dead blow hammer with a little upwards pull at the same time.

I use a 1/4" ratchet and appropriate size socket to loosen the bolts. I also replace the gasket anytime I remove and re-install the t-stat housing. I also apply a thin film of black RTV to each side of the gasket prior to installation. The gasket for my t-stat (340 h.p. Monsoon) is 3 or 4 bucks from Bakes. I consider it very inexpensive insurance that the fit will not leak. Personally, I would not remove the intake plenum unless absolutely necessary. Good luck.

A wrench will get the bolts in and out but if yours is anything like mine you are going to spend some time getting the stuck on bits of old gasket off. I suggest using a wrench to pull the cover then evaluate the condition of the gasket to determine if you need the extra space. If the gasket is stuck pull the plenum.