Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nice lake in "never freeze" climate close to bigger city?

wakeboarder3780

What about some of the inland lakes in Florida near Tampa or Orlando? I would imagine all the pros live there for a reason. Warm enough to wakeboard year round, should fit your price range, near a big city. What's the water quality like?

Although we have humidity down here in FL, I live on a private lake down here in Tampa that has a slalom course as well. Its not huge by any means (240 acres) compared to others listed. But we ride year round down here and there is never more than 2 boats out at once. Can buy property for your price range.

http://m.flickr.com/photos/supbuckeye/8327196599/lightbox/'>http://m.flickr.com/photos/supbuckeye/8327196599/lightbox/

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jkendallmsce" data-cid="573265" data-time="1356838592"><p>

We are looking at our options...and ARK and both the lakes you mentioned are near the top of the list...is there much of a difference weather wise say between Greers Ferry and further NW say Fayettville or Rogers/Beaver Lake?? Beaver Lake is about 500 ft higher. BOth are pretty good sized lakes, property even lake front is pretty cheap..compared to CA....<br />

<br />

ANd what do you mean by the property is a hit or miss since it is a Corps Lake? I know COE, but why a hit or miss?<br />

<br />

thanks</p></blockquote>

Greers Ferry is a great spot hit and miss I think is the rules you can only have a dock if it is grandfathered in. Also there are a few lakes south worth looking at. Hot Spring AR has Ouachita lake.

Bear Creek Bum is right with the dock issues at Greers Ferry. I have a friend with a cabin up there and he has no dock. We put the boat on a bouy when we're up there. His neighbor next door has a dock permit with 3 slips. The water level can vary quite a bit there, but not near as much as I experienced in CA and WA.

wakebrdr94, we will still be working, not retiring. We work in IT however and there are jobs "everywhere". We may even be able to keep our current jobs and just move there anyway and work from home or the closest field office. Jobs are not of concern. Finding the right place is :D

"Greers Ferry is a great spot hit and miss I think is the rules you can only have a dock if it is grandfathered in. Also there are a few lakes south worth looking at. Hot Spring AR has Ouachita lake."

Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs can get a crowded on the weekends, but is a really nice place to live. Lots for really nice homes.

Lake Quachita is another story. No homes or private docks allowed. There are a few exceptions, homes that existed when the dam was built. It is a beautiful lake though. I have friends who live on a house boats there.

Greers Ferry is nice if you can find a place on the water with a dock that doesn't have a 30 or 40 foot drop off to the water. Lots of steep and rocky shore lines.

I live pretty much equal distance to all three and spend time on each.

Edited by Deven

Jk, not sure I made myself clear.

There are lots of waterfront houses and lots but I would guess that less than 20% have a permit for a dock. The COE has stated that they are not going to issue any more. If you have a dock there is a ramp to the bank but the ramp usually has wheels at the bank to follow the water level. One friend had a waterfront lot but no dock and he would moor his boat to a buoy overnight. We either swam or took a tube back and forth. Even though it was a waterfront lot you could not see the lake because the "white line" was about 150' from the water. The COE would not let him clear any trees or brush. They even wrote him a warning ticket for riding a 4-wheeler below the white line. He sold that place and bought one with a dock. Great except it was 350' from the dock to the house with a steep hill and no way to get a atv up and down. You learned to take everything down in one trip or just do without.

It is still a beautiful lake.

Bearcreek, summed it up nicely what I meant by hit or miss. I just could not remember the distances off the top of my head.

We are actually looking into Lake Hamilton as well. The depth stays constant except for winter draw down which is so everyone can do repairs/improvements if desired down by the water. There are some really nice affordable houses on the lake and alot of stuff for boaters to do, you can access a lot of places from the lake (local restaurants, etc.), also heard of a good party area/cove on the lake, but have yet to tour the whole lake and see it.

Edited by jwl019