Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black Cover

eubanks

I recently ordered a black cover from Rankin. It might be too late to change my mind now but I wanted to get some feedback on having a black cover. The boat will be stored inside but probably have the cover all during some tows and on some weekend vacations.

My question is whether the black will fade quickly or get too hot? I'm guessing this really isn't an issue since it will be stored inside but I was just curious. It's hard to tell what some of the other colors would look like on our boat just from their webiste. And black is tight! Biggrin.gif

My last cover (on the boat I recently sold) was black, and the new one I ordered is black as well. It didn't fade at all, and boat was always outside. It does show a little dirt, but you can clean it with soap/water, and then spray 303 fabric guard on it, and it will look, and bead water, like new again. It did get hot in the boat, but not unbearably, and it helped dry things out. I'd have no reservations about the black cover you have on order - you'll be fine with it.

My last boat and this one both have a black cover. The covers look "SHARP", but when you pull that pup off, the upholstery is "HOT"! This makes me wonder about the life of the upholstery, not the cover. I was thinking of switching back to grey? :unsure:

Despite what logic and science may dictate about dark colors absorbing more light, the dark colored sunbrella fabrics actually seem to last longer than the light colored fabrics...

JZ

It depends on where you live. In some places black is fine, but if you get a lot of heat the black can actually build up enough heat to melt things. My grandfather had this happed to a four winns he had in florida. During the summer in got hot enough that it melted hi=s gauge bezels, hazed the faces, and melted the knobs on the window. For that reason I have been getting other colors, even charcoal grey which I currently have is pretty cool, but in pa it is not an issue.

I bought a black Rankin cover in the group buy last fall. Looks great on the boat, which has a black main panel and black trailer.

This may be pathetic, but I have my old cover on top of the rankin cover. I do some woodworking in the garage and don't want to get sawdust on the new cover. My wife thinks I'm nuts for putting a cover on my cover. She just doesn't get it. Frustrated.gif

I'm with you Boomer - I currently have the standard cover on order with my new boat and I was considering canceling it and ordering a Rankin. Now that I have seen this one, I'd like to get the details on it.